Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help wiring rotary phone

My mom gave me this phone. It is a replica of an old one. She had to
attach phone wires on the circuit board to make it work but can't
remember how she did it..fluke really.....so Now I have my phone
wires, red and green, coming from wall and don't know where to attach
them to make the phone work. Can anyone help?
here is a photo of the circuit board..
http://www.leehane.ca/images/Picture%20910.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 2:18*pm, Adalwolfa wrote:
My mom gave me this phone. It is a replica of an old one. She had to
attach phone wires on the circuit board to make it work but can't
remember how she did it..fluke really.....so Now I have my phone
wires, red and green, coming from wall and don't know where to attach
them to make the phone work. Can anyone help?
here is a photo of the circuit board..http://www.leehane.ca/images/Picture%20910.jpg

Presuming you are in North America (Not the UK etc.) Try hooking up
red and green to the two telephone line wires from the telephone
exchange. If the phone is working you should hear dial tone. And be
able to dial something.
After try attaching the yellow wire to either the red or green and try
to see if the phone will ring on an incoming call.
The phone picture seems to indicate that it may not be a genuine
'vintage' phone? Maybe something made to look 'old'! But have no
definitive information.
If it is an old European phone there is some chance when dialling that
its dial speed and/or interval of dial pulsing may not be suitable for
a North American dial system, although most systems are pretty
tolerant or will only cause a few wrong numbers! So some of these
quaint phones may be suitable to only talking, not dialling.
If when the ringer is hooked up make absolutely sure the 'complete'
phone line is working OK.
We had a case of hooking up low quality phones which disabled the
telephone line of a fireman who was on call! Cheap phones added to
their home phone line meant that they could dial out but not receive
any calls!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 2:18*pm, Adalwolfa wrote:
My mom gave me this phone. It is a replica of an old one. She had to
attach phone wires on the circuit board to make it work but can't
remember how she did it..fluke really.....so Now I have my phone
wires, red and green, coming from wall and don't know where to attach
them to make the phone work. Can anyone help?
here is a photo of the circuit board..http://www.leehane.ca/images/Picture%20910.jpg

Look for two terminal marked L1 and L2 or similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 11:18*am, Adalwolfa wrote:
My mom gave me this phone. It is a replica of an old one. She had to
attach phone wires on the circuit board to make it work but can't
remember how she did it..fluke really.....so Now I have my phone
wires, red and green, coming from wall and don't know where to attach
them to make the phone work. Can anyone help?
here is a photo of the circuit board..http://www.leehane.ca/images/Picture%20910.jpg

Where are you located, USA, UK, Aus, NZ?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:47:35 -0700, terry wrote:

The phone picture
seems to indicate that it may not be a genuine 'vintage' phone? Maybe
something made to look 'old'! But have no definitive information.

"It is a replica of an old one." kind of gives that away ;-)

If it is an old European phone there is some chance when dialling that
its dial speed and/or interval of dial pulsing may not be suitable for a
North American dial system

Yes, I've been trying to find information on the exact differences for a
while; I've got a 1940's UK phone that I'd like to use with the system in
the US if possible one day. All strowger-based setups (or modern systems
designed to emulate them) in different territories seem to be similar,
but not necessarily identical.

So some of these quaint phones may be suitable to only talking,
not dialling.

I wired up another 1960's-vintage rotary when I was living in the UK. It
had probably been 20 years since I last used one. It was amazing how much
longer it took to dial numbers compared to a more modern tone-based phone!

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jules Richardson typed:
[...]

IFF the Central Office will respond to rotary dialing, the it's almost sure
to be able to respond to nearly any consistant-speed dialing pattern between
6 and 20 pps. It might be worth either finding out from the phone company if
they will accept rotary dial. Other specs (longitudinal balance, etc) are
plenty close enough or that same as ours that it should work if they'll
accept rotary signaling.
One thing to check though, is the Ringer Equivalence and ring voltage:
UK ring voltages are higher than ours for the "must detect" level, which
varies depending on loop length. So it's possible if you're a long ways from
the CO wiring wise, that the phone won't be able to detect ringing. There
are also frequency differences but as a rule those shouldn't bother unless
the signal is very weak (less than 40Vac ring voltage on the -48V DC on the
red/green pair. Green is ref, and red has the CO battery voltage on it.
It's been a long time but here's a page about UK specs that's pretty much
in layman's terms:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/telephone_ringer.html

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:18:52 -0700 (PDT), Adalwolfa
wrote:

My mom gave me this phone. It is a replica of an old one. She had to
attach phone wires on the circuit board to make it work but can't
remember how she did it..fluke really.....so Now I have my phone
wires, red and green, coming from wall and don't know where to attach
them to make the phone work. Can anyone help?
here is a photo of the circuit board..
http://www.leehane.ca/images/Picture%20910.jpg

First answer HR Bob. Why do people keep their location a secret?

Are any of the possible places labeled L1 and L2? Those would be
they. If not:

Are those 7 screws the only possibilities? If so, and if you couldn't
ask anyone because you were stranded on desert island, the think to do
would be to go to Radio Shack and buy a bag of 10 wires with alligator
clips on each end.

START: Then connect one of the wires, say the red, to one of the 7
screws, using one of the wires with alligator clips.

Then clip one of the new wires to the green wire, and touch in turn
each of the remaining 6 wires. Listen for a dial tone. If you don't
get one try the other combinations of two screws. There are 7*6 = 42
total, and it should take less than 5 minutes to test them all.

Even if I found a pair that worked, I think I would test the remining
pairs.

Once I found a pair, I would clip the end to the screw instead of just
touching it and see if I could dial the phone.

Voila! If no voila, it's conceivable the red and green are
backwards. That means there were 42 possibilities you didn't check.
everything over again. In all of the US afaik, it no longer matters
if one connects red to L1 and green to L2, or vice versa, but it used
to matter everywhere, so maybe it still does.

If you want the phone to ring, call yourself and if it doesn't ring
when the other phone does, post back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:34:58 -0400, "Twayne"
wrote:

IFF the Central Office will respond to rotary dialing, the it's almost sure
to be able to respond to nearly any consistant-speed dialing pattern between
6 and 20 pps.

I had a modem which tone dialed so fast, it wouldn't always get the
phone to start "ringing". That's not the same thing at all, but it's
the best I've got. I think that is the MTBS value and I increaded it
with some modem command.

It might be worth either finding out from the phone company if
they will accept rotary dial.

I used to think it amazing that NYC for example still does, but now I
suspect it's a standard part of the IC they use for phone switching
now. Once the chip is designed, it's probably 10 cents extra per
phone line to accept rotary dial. Or maybe
Posted to alt.home.repair

First answer HR Bob. *Why do people keep their location a secret?

I am in Canada

Are any of the possible places labeled L1 and L2? *Those would be
they. *If not:

Nothing is labeled unfortunately.

Are those 7 screws the only possibilities? *If so, and if you couldn't
ask anyone because you were stranded on desert island, the think to do
would be to go to Radio Shack and buy a bag of 10 wires with alligator
clips on each end.

only those screws, I do need alligator clips, that would help..
It's hard working with open strands of wires..to keep them attached to
one while trying the rest..

converting an old rotary phone to work now [email protected] Home Repair 89 September 25th 19 11:02 PM
Old, wall rotary phone Irene Home Repair 34 January 27th 08 02:41 AM
Help With Rotary Phone Wiring [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 12th 07 09:12 PM
Old Rotary phone - GPO 746 [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 12th 07 04:41 AM
Rotary Phone Doesn't Ring [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 December 30th 05 02:16 AM