Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default help wiring rotary phone

In ,
Jules Richardson typed:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:47:35 -0700, terry wrote:

The phone picture
seems to indicate that it may not be a genuine 'vintage'
phone? Maybe something made to look 'old'! But have no
definitive information.

"It is a replica of an old one." kind of gives that away ;-)

If it is an old European phone there is some chance when
dialling that its dial speed and/or interval of dial
pulsing may not be suitable for a North American dial
system

Yes, I've been trying to find information on the exact
differences for a while; I've got a 1940's UK phone that
I'd like to use with the system in the US if possible one
day. All strowger-based setups (or modern systems designed
to emulate them) in different territories seem to be
similar, but not necessarily identical.

So some of these quaint phones may be suitable to only
talking,
not dialling.

I wired up another 1960's-vintage rotary when I was living
in the UK. It had probably been 20 years since I last used
one. It was amazing how much longer it took to dial numbers
compared to a more modern tone-based phone!

cheers

Jules

IFF the Central Office will respond to rotary dialing, the it's almost sure
to be able to respond to nearly any consistant-speed dialing pattern between
6 and 20 pps. It might be worth either finding out from the phone company if
they will accept rotary dial. Other specs (longitudinal balance, etc) are
plenty close enough or that same as ours that it should work if they'll
accept rotary signaling.
One thing to check though, is the Ringer Equivalence and ring voltage:
UK ring voltages are higher than ours for the "must detect" level, which
varies depending on loop length. So it's possible if you're a long ways from
the CO wiring wise, that the phone won't be able to detect ringing. There
are also frequency differences but as a rule those shouldn't bother unless
the signal is very weak (less than 40Vac ring voltage on the -48V DC on the
red/green pair. Green is ref, and red has the CO battery voltage on it.
It's been a long time but here's a page about UK specs that's pretty much
in layman's terms:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/telephone_ringer.html

HTH,

Twayne`