Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HD lumber prices

Have lumber prices gone up significantly at HD stores country-wide? I
just went into our local one last week and OSB seems to have doubled in
price, with many other wood products also showing significant price
increases.

Maybe they're going up all across the industry? I know I'd read reports
of supply and demand problems pushing up prices in Europe as of a few
months ago.

(sorry if this has been discussed to death here and I just managed to
miss it :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 8:50*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Have lumber prices gone up significantly at HD stores country-wide? I
just went into our local one last week and OSB seems to have doubled in
price, with many other wood products also showing significant price
increases.

Maybe they're going up all across the industry? I know I'd read reports
of supply and demand problems pushing up prices in Europe as of a few
months ago.

(sorry if this has been discussed to death here and I just managed to
miss it :-)

cheers

Jules

I have not looked lately but osb does fluctuate a lot based on
demand. Other lumber usually less so. Bummer if you need a bunch
right now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Have lumber prices gone up significantly at HD stores country-wide? I
just went into our local one last week and OSB seems to have doubled in
price, with many other wood products also showing significant price
increases.

Maybe they're going up all across the industry? I know I'd read reports
of supply and demand problems pushing up prices in Europe as of a few
months ago.

(sorry if this has been discussed to death here and I just managed to
miss it :-)

cheers

Jules

I have not looked lately but osb does fluctuate a lot based on
demand. Other lumber usually less so. Bummer if you need a bunch
right now.

I was talking to a kitchen appliance
person at Lowe's that I have come to
know. He said that prices at Lowe's
change with the product market. He said
that most items stay pretty stable,
however, stuff like lumber can change 2
or 3 times a day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2010 06:12:31 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 13, 8:50Â*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Have lumber prices gone up significantly at HD stores country-wide? I
just went into our local one last week and OSB seems to have doubled in
price, with many other wood products also showing significant price
increases.

Maybe they're going up all across the industry? I know I'd read reports
of supply and demand problems pushing up prices in Europe as of a few
months ago.

(sorry if this has been discussed to death here and I just managed to
miss it :-)

cheers

Jules

I have not looked lately but osb does fluctuate a lot based on demand.
Other lumber usually less so. Bummer if you need a bunch right now.

Yeah, for the last couple of years it's been between $8 and $9 for a 4x8'
1/2" sheet (I don't now if it varied much, I just recall it being in that
range) - then, within the last couple of weeks, it's jumped to over $15
up here. That's a pretty huge increase!

Maybe they've been selling the stuff at a loss for quite a while up here,
and they've only just set it to a 'fair' price related to whay they're
actually buying it for these days.

I think other 'commodity' stuff, such as 8' 2x4" lumber hasn't gone up by
such a crazy amount, but it's still gone up by 15% or so.

Oh, I bought some baseboard trim the other day, too; last year the bundle
I got was $40, but I paid $67 for that same amount the other day. I've
not been keeping an eye on the cost there though, so don't know what it's
been doing in the meantime.

I was worried it was a "sign of things to come" and prices are going to
go up significantly for all lumber products US-wide (in which case I
might stock up on a few other useful things I know I'll need this year),
but it sounds like others haven't been having the same experience.

cheers

Jules

Where to buy PVC lumber Daniel Prince Home Repair 9 March 4th 09 04:29 PM
Lumber lance Woodworking 5 November 6th 07 11:01 PM
What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard eganders Woodworking 9 October 15th 07 10:27 PM
Shocked at lumber prices Jimbo Woodworking 16 May 6th 07 08:35 PM
looking for lumber John Woodworking 5 May 13th 05 01:38 AM