Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General Electric 47 frame motor

I'm looking for specs for an obsolete 47 frame motor, specifically, I'm
trying to find the shaft size.

Any help is appreciated, Roy

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
I'm looking for specs for an obsolete 47 frame motor, specifically, I'm
trying to find the shaft size.

Any help is appreciated, Roy

The info I found only had 2 fractional HP motors - 48 and 52 frame size.
Frame 48 is 1/2" shaft with 3/64" key.

A 47 frame should be 47/16 " from base to shaft center-line - a rather
odd number.

Doubt that helps any.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
I'm looking for specs for an obsolete 47 frame motor, specifically, I'm
trying to find the shaft size.

Any help is appreciated, Roy

I had an odd sized old motor from an air handler in an office
building built in the 40's. I went to my local electric motor
repair shop and they had a rewound motor on the shelf. If it's
one of the old motors, it's probably infinitely rewindable due
to the design. If you have a good electric motor shop in your
area, they should be able to help you out.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
I'm looking for specs for an obsolete 47 frame motor, specifically, I'm
trying to find the shaft size.

Any help is appreciated, Roy

I had an odd sized old motor from an air handler in an office
building built in the 40's. I went to my local electric motor
repair shop and they had a rewound motor on the shelf. If it's
one of the old motors, it's probably infinitely rewindable due
to the design. If you have a good electric motor shop in your
area, they should be able to help you out.

TDD

Thanks, it's not something I have, but something I was looking at on Ebay

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
I'm looking for specs for an obsolete 47 frame motor, specifically, I'm
trying to find the shaft size.

Any help is appreciated, Roy

The info I found only had 2 fractional HP motors - 48 and 52 frame size.
Frame 48 is 1/2" shaft with 3/64" key.

A 47 frame should be 47/16 " from base to shaft center-line - a rather odd
number.

Doubt that helps any.

--
bud--

I appreciate the effort.
I bought an old, thirties or forties, floor model drill press. The thing has
no brand name or model on it, so I have little to work with. I'm stripping
it down to more or less rebuild it. It currently has a big ass dog of a
motor on it, that's clearly wrong and too large for the motor mount. I think
someone used this motor because it's a 66 frame, which uses a 3/4" shaft,
the size of the bore of the 4 belt pulley it uses. These days there's
nothing on the market in a fractional HP motor, with a 3/4" shaft, except a
66. So I'm scrounging on Ebay and I see this guy has a 1933 1/4 HP GE motor,
with a 4 belt pulley on it, and has no clue what it came off of. The thing
is the exact same color of my drill press, so I'm starting to think that
this might just be the missing link, but I can't get a return email from the
seller, and I can't find any information on a 47 frame motor. Ultimately,
the guy did get back to me, and the pulley is smaller than mine, and the non
reversible rotation is wrong, so it's useless to me. I will probably just
get a 56 frame and a single belt pulley, and be done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"bud--" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
[...]

If you can find a suitable smaller motor, you can always sleeve the
shaft up to fit the 3/4" bore pulley.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"bud--" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
[...]

I thought about that as well. That's probably the most sensible thing to do,
that is of course after I locate the obsolete quill pulley bearing that
broke on disassembly. So, if you've got , in your bag of tricks, a source
for an obsolete or equivalent ( Fafnir 202PP3 ), do let me know. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
RBM wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
[...]

What about it turning the wrong direction?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 4:07�pm, Tony wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
RBM wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
RBM wrote:
[...]

What about it turning the wrong direction?- Hide quoted text -

All electric motors can be reversed. If is is a single phase motor
there will be a start winding and a run winding. The start winding
usually has a capacitor wired in series with it (and sometimes a
centrifugal switch, it may only act in the run up period & then be cut
off).).. You need to change over (ie reverse) the connections of the
start circuit RELATVE to the run winding. (No good changing both)
Inside the terminal block there will be four connections (two for the
start and two for the run windings) There's often little copper links
that can be moved over from one way to the other to change
direcetion. There's usually a diagram inside the terminal cover shows
this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On May 4, 4:07?pm, Tony wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
RBM wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
RBM wrote:
[...]

This particular motor wasn't built to be field reversible, it's also not a
cap start motor. The leads to the windings would only be accessible by
dismantling the motor and considering it's age, I wouldn't want to take the
chance