Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shop Vac parts

I have a Shop Vac wet/dry vac. The shutoff switch that shuts off the
motor
when the water level goes high has broken. I called shopvac and they
will
not sell me the switch, they will sell a new head unit for $120 which
is
more than I paid for the whole vacuum. Does anyone know where I can
get the
switch? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate one? If
cannot repair it, I will not buy another shop vac, does anyone know if
any
other brands will sell parts?
Thank you very much,
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
I have a Shop Vac wet/dry vac. The shutoff switch that shuts off the
motor
when the water level goes high has broken. I called shopvac and they
will
not sell me the switch, they will sell a new head unit for $120 which
is
more than I paid for the whole vacuum. Does anyone know where I can
get the
switch? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate one? If
cannot repair it, I will not buy another shop vac, does anyone know if
any
other brands will sell parts?
Thank you very much,
Dave

My ancient (steel tank) shop vac never had a high water switch. I
figured that is what the floating ball is for.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 30, 4:19*pm, Dave wrote:
I have a Shop Vac wet/dry vac. The shutoff switch that shuts off the
motor
when the water level goes high has broken. I called shopvac and they
will
not sell me the switch, they will sell a new head unit for $120 which
is
more than I paid for the whole vacuum. Does anyone know where I can
get the
switch? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate one? If
cannot repair it, I will not buy another shop vac, does anyone know if
any
other brands will sell parts?
Thank you very much,
Dave

Modify a float switch from a sump pump. Should be readily
available...call customer service at the several manufacturers for
more information.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I was thinking about that. I actually have an old sump pump
with a blown motor that I was going to try to remove the float from.
I have to find it first. I will let you know how it goes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The older vacs had a ball that blocked the vacuum and made a noise
change. The newer ones have a switch that turns off the motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave wrote:
I have a Shop Vac wet/dry vac. The shutoff switch that shuts off the
motor
when the water level goes high has broken. I called shopvac and they
will
not sell me the switch, they will sell a new head unit for $120 which
is
more than I paid for the whole vacuum. Does anyone know where I can
get the
switch? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate one? If
cannot repair it, I will not buy another shop vac, does anyone know if
any
other brands will sell parts?
Thank you very much,
Dave

Did you ever notice that shop vacs make lots of noise and suck very little?

--
LSMFT

If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either..........
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 01 May 2010 08:08:36 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Dave wrote:
I have a Shop Vac wet/dry vac. The shutoff switch that shuts off the
motor
when the water level goes high has broken. I called shopvac and they
will
not sell me the switch, they will sell a new head unit for $120 which
is
more than I paid for the whole vacuum. Does anyone know where I can
get the
switch? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate one? If
cannot repair it, I will not buy another shop vac, does anyone know if
any
other brands will sell parts?
Thank you very much,
Dave

Did you ever notice that shop vacs make lots of noise and suck very little?

Yes, they are like that when they are full. It's shameful.

At least when they're not full they suck very well.