Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electr. 14/3 wire under vinyl siding

I am installing an outide lite on a vinyl siding mounting block.
Electricity is available 5 feet away via a duplex outside GFI vinyl
siding mounted outlet.
Question: Can I run 14/3 under the vinyl siding connecting the source
to the lite?
If so, what type romex do I need? NM-B?
tia
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am installing an outide lite on a vinyl siding mounting block.
Electricity is available 5 feet away via a duplex outside GFI vinyl
siding mounted outlet.
Question: Can I run 14/3 under the vinyl siding connecting the source
to the lite?
If so, what type romex do I need? NM-B?

*Use MC cable. Attach a bonding bushing to the MC connector and put a
grounding pigtail on the bushing. You may need to use an angle connector to
go into the siding block from behind.

Why do you need a 3 wire?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am installing an outide lite on a vinyl siding mounting block.
Electricity is available 5 feet away via a duplex outside GFI vinyl
siding mounted outlet.
Question: Can I run 14/3 under the vinyl siding connecting the source
to the lite?
If so, what type romex do I need? NM-B?

*Use MC cable. Attach a bonding bushing to the MC connector and put a
grounding pigtail on the bushing. You may need to use an angle connector
go into the siding block from behind.

Why do you need a 3 wire?

To ground the outside lite housing. Thanks for the post. Have a nice
day....

14/2 MC cable comes with a black wire, a white wire and a green wire for
grounding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 12:05*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I am installing an outide lite on a vinyl siding mounting block.
Electricity is available 5 feet away via a duplex outside GFI vinyl
siding mounted outlet.
Question: Can I run 14/3 under the vinyl siding connecting the source
to the lite?
If so, what type romex do I need? NM-B?

*Use MC cable. *Attach a bonding bushing to the MC connector and put a
grounding pigtail on the bushing. *You may need to use an angle connector
go into the siding block from behind.

Why do you need a 3 wire?

To ground the outside lite housing. Thanks for the post. Have a nice
day....

14/2 MC cable comes with a black wire, a white wire and a green wire for
grounding.- Hide quoted text -

Also: If that duplex outlet circuit is currently fed from a 20 amp
breaker (using 12/2 wire), under many codes that added wire should be
also be 12/2 with ground. Not 14/2!

OR change the circuit breaker for that circuit to 15 amp. We did
exactly that when we realised that some armoured cable covered by to a
nearby shed shed was 'perhaps' AWG14! So; to be sure we changed that
breaker to 15 amp.

Reason for mentioning s that many wiring jobs back some years ago
used AWG12 (20 amp breaker) for outlet wiring and AWG14 (15 amp
breaker) for lighting circuits and did NOT mix outlets and lights on
the same circuit. These days am seeing, under codes here, 14AWG, mixed
outlets and lights; all from 15 amp breakered circuits.

By using 14/2 tapped onto a 20 amp circuit, the home owner could
(depends on local codes?) inadvertently contravene electrical and
insurance regulations!

Probably work OK for years! With never a problem! BUT if there was a
problem fire investigators and or insurance might decline to say it
met codes!!!!!!!

The amount of current taken by an outside light not large and well
within capabilities of the wire. But could be legal implications!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, Jeff Garlock wrote:
Any recommendation on the "steel protector" referenced above? Is there a
specific brand or type? I am doing a similar project.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-439435-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 02:14:01 +0000, Jeff Garlock
m wrote:

replying to clare, Jeff Garlock wrote:
Any recommendation on the "steel protector" referenced above? Is there a
specific brand or type? I am doing a similar project.

If you are protecting 5 feet of cable I doubt you are going to find
anything off the shelf that works but you might find a strip of 16
gauge galvanized a couple inches wide in the trash at a metal
fabricator. I would only use galvanized or stainless to avoid rust. I
would still paint the galvanized (edges are not protected)
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to clare, Jeff Garlock wrote:
Any recommendation on the "steel protector" referenced above? Is there a
specific brand or type? I am doing a similar project.

If you are protecting 5 feet of cable I doubt you are going to find
anything off the shelf that works but you might find a strip of 16
gauge galvanized a couple inches wide in the trash at a metal
fabricator. I would only use galvanized or stainless to avoid rust. I
would still paint the galvanized (edges are not protected)

Home Depot sells small pieces of sheet metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to clare, Jeff Garlock wrote:
Any recommendation on the "steel protector" referenced above? Is there a
specific brand or type? I am doing a similar project.

If you are protecting 5 feet of cable I doubt you are going to find
anything off the shelf that works but you might find a strip of 16
gauge galvanized a couple inches wide in the trash at a metal
fabricator. I would only use galvanized or stainless to avoid rust. I
would still paint the galvanized (edges are not protected)

Home Depot sells small pieces of sheet metal.

They don't have 16 ga galvanized and this is really the kind of thing
they away at a metal fabricator. Even if you had do buy it they would
only want $5 or something unless they have a minimum shop charge. I
have always been able to jest talk them out of things like this. Don't
go in the office, just look in the dumpster or scrap pile.
You just don't say it is trash. They will correct you ;-)

The other option is a sleeve of EMT (conduit). That is only $3 a stick
or something.

He also should be using UF cable, not NM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to clare, Jeff Garlock wrote:
Any recommendation on the "steel protector" referenced above? Is there a
specific brand or type? I am doing a similar project.

If you are protecting 5 feet of cable I doubt you are going to find
anything off the shelf that works but you might find a strip of 16
gauge galvanized a couple inches wide in the trash at a metal
fabricator. I would only use galvanized or stainless to avoid rust. I
would still paint the galvanized (edges are not protected)

Home Depot sells small pieces of sheet metal.

I was really just answering the question asked but it does beg the
question, is there an extra 6 cu/in left over in the box he wants to
hit and is there a chance he can just fish the RX down the inside of
the wall. That is a far less invasive solution.
There are tricks to do that. The hardest part may be picking the knock
out out of the box from inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to clare, Jeff Garlock wrote:
Any recommendation on the "steel protector" referenced above? Is there a
specific brand or type? I am doing a similar project.

If you are protecting 5 feet of cable I doubt you are going to find
anything off the shelf that works but you might find a strip of 16
gauge galvanized a couple inches wide in the trash at a metal
fabricator. I would only use galvanized or stainless to avoid rust. I
would still paint the galvanized (edges are not protected)

Home Depot sells small pieces of sheet metal.

They don't have 16 ga galvanized

Seems to me they had a bin of various shapes and thickness, including
bar stock. That would certainly be thick enough.

and this is really the kind of thing
they away at a metal fabricator. Even if you had do buy it they would
only want $5 or something unless they have a minimum shop charge.

That's great if you know where there is one, they are willing to talk
to you, etc. Some people might want to spend $8 and be done with it.

have always been able to jest talk them out of things like this. Don't
go in the office, just look in the dumpster or scrap pile.
You just don't say it is trash. They will correct you ;-)

The other option is a sleeve of EMT (conduit). That is only $3 a stick
or something.

Good luck getting that under vinyl siding without a bulge. But I suppose
the new poster may have room.

He also should be using UF cable, not NM.