Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping Stormin'

I'm looking for suggestions on what to ask an HVAC person to look
for when inspecting the equipment on a home we're probably going
to buy. I have a pretty good idea on what to ask, but would
appreciate your experience as well. The home is fairly large,
with 4 Heil A/C units, and 4 upflow gas furnaces of unknown size.
I don't have the model numbers of the Heil units, but see they use
Copeland scrolls. The house is 4 years old, so the equipment is
modern. I'll be getting an overall home inspection as well, but
am planning to ask a local HVAC company we used in the past to
come out to look over the equipment and to make sure all is right.
Specifically, what should I tell them I want done and what should
I ask for? The equipment is in two mechanical rooms, each on
either side of the house, so there's no attic work involved unless
you think there's a reason they should check ductwork in the
attic.

One of the split units does the heating and cooling of a great
room, with a 18' flat ceiling. The dual filter return is on the
blasted ceiling, 18' up in the air. Rather than buy a tall step
ladder for changing the filters, would it be prohibitively
expensive to jack the upflow furnace up a few inches and slip a
filter box under it? Have you ever done this? What other choices
are there for this rather impractical filter location?

The visit would take place during the "due diligence" phase of a
purchase, but before we would close the transaction. The power is
on, so I would expect the tech to cycle the furnaces and AC's to
be sure they start and run. During that time, I suspect he'd
check the refrigerant pressures. Would it make sense at that time
to add refrigerant if needed, or would you have him come back?

Any other thoughts, suggestions or help would be appreciated.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote in message
[...]

Well, the first thing Stormy would have you ask the hvac person is whether
he is a black person or not.
( see Stormin at his best in the replacing main shutoff valve thread)

Next, this is way over Stormy's head -- as are many things.

Next, you might actually get some informed opinions from the assholes on
alt.hvac.

Finally, don't forget to tell them you pinged Stormy on this on ahr.....

--
EA

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Nonny" wrote in message
[...]

I appreciate your comments, but while I once followed alt.HVAC,
some of the characters were a bit too obnoxious to each other and
strangers to make anything they'd offer worth the "price" to be
paid.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonny" wrote in message
[...]

Well, as of late, they've been a little better, and since you are/will be
dealing with an hvac tech, that seems to smooth their easily ruffled
feathers, so they'll proly be more forthcoming.
I think they would dignify the Q, as the scenario is also interesting.

Stormy's opinion will be near-useless.
He's been a little scarce anyway, since his racist faux pas.... he doesn't
seem capable of embarrassment, so mebbe he's out rustling up a few more
wives....
--
EA

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Didn't even see the message until now. The two other posters
are so rude, their posts don't show on my screen. I read
alternating.havoc now and again. It's a bit like driving
past a car wreck. I don't want to watch, but it's so
compelling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ping: Rob Lee Morris Dovey Woodworking 5 March 22nd 07 01:24 AM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
Ping JT D Steck Woodworking 0 November 25th 05 10:35 PM
PING: Stormin Mormon DanG Home Repair 2 May 29th 05 04:26 PM
Hey, Stormin' Mormon Injun-ear Home Repair 7 May 13th 05 07:05 PM