Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you need a GFCI outlet?

Limp Arbor wrote:
I needed quite few GFCI outlets, simplex outlets, and 20A outlets for
my house. If you've ever bought these you know they are not cheap, at
least not $0.59 like the regular stuff. GFCI outlets are close to $20
anywhere here in NJ that I've been.

Started checking around online and couldn't believe how cheap the
outlets were at Dale-Electric.com. I decided to give them a try.
There website isn't the best in the world but if you download the pdf
of their catalog you can just enter the stock numbers of what you
want. They don't even give you the shipping amount when you complete
your order but there is an estimate function.

My order totaled about $150 and when the shipping was added $159 was
charged to my card from "Hill electric". Next day I got an email with
a tracking number and the day after that I got my stuff. I have no
affiliation just passing on a place that has great prices on outlets.

http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=7599-W

Could you not have installed a couple of ground fault circuit breakers
or were too many circuits involved?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 11:54*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-
wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

The breakers cost a lot more than outlets and the convenience of
having the reset right there was also a reason. I wouldn't want to
run all the way down to the basement if SWMBO drops her curling iron
in the sink or if I lay my drill down in wet grass.

Another reason is that I'll bet most home inspector wouldn't be able
to comprehend how a standard outlet on a kitchen counter could be GFCI
protected if there is not a GFCI outlet nearby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2010 10:07 AM Limp Arbor spake thus:

The breakers cost a lot more than outlets and the convenience of
having the reset right there was also a reason. I wouldn't want to
run all the way down to the basement if SWMBO drops her curling iron
in the sink or if I lay my drill down in wet grass.

Another reason is that I'll bet most home inspector wouldn't be able
to comprehend how a standard outlet on a kitchen counter could be GFCI
protected if there is not a GFCI outlet nearby.

Um, I think that's what those "GFCI PROTECTED" stickers that come in the
box with the outlet are for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

And in that you would be wrong. It is a basic part of any American
Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) members training to use a shunt
tester to check the function of downstream GFCI protection.
--
Tom Horne