Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Do you need a GFCI outlet?

On Apr 22, 1:07*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Apr 22, 11:54*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-

wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
I needed quite few GFCI outlets, simplex outlets, and 20A outlets for
my house. *If you've ever bought these you know they are not cheap, at
least not $0.59 like the regular stuff. *GFCI outlets are close to $20
anywhere here in NJ that I've been.

Started checking around online and couldn't believe how cheap the
outlets were at Dale-Electric.com. *I decided to give them a try.
There website isn't the best in the world but if you download the pdf
of their catalog you can just enter the stock numbers of what you
want. *They don't even give you the shipping amount when you complete
your order but there is an estimate function.

My order totaled about $150 and when the shipping was added $159 was
charged to my card from "Hill electric". *Next day I got an email with
a tracking number and the day after that I got my stuff. *I have no
affiliation just passing on a place that has great prices on outlets.

http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=7599-W

Could you not have installed a couple of ground fault circuit breakers
or were too many circuits involved?

TDD- Hide quoted text -

The breakers cost a lot more than outlets and the convenience of
having the reset right there was also a reason. *I wouldn't want to
run all the way down to the basement if SWMBO drops her curling iron
in the sink or if I lay my drill down in wet grass.

Another reason is that I'll bet most home inspector wouldn't be able
to comprehend how a standard outlet on a kitchen counter could be GFCI
protected if there is not a GFCI outlet nearby.

And in that you would be wrong. It is a basic part of any American
Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) members training to use a shunt
tester to check the function of downstream GFCI protection.
--
Tom Horne