Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace cornerboards

The cornerboards on my house are made of 5/4 X 6 lumber. I have
replaced 3 of them with redwood and have no problem with those but the
rest keep rotting out on me. Redwood is no longer available. Are there
any synthetics that would work. I didnt see anything that Trex had
that would do the job.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
The cornerboards on my house are made of 5/4 X 6 lumber. I have
replaced 3 of them with redwood and have no problem with those but the
rest keep rotting out on me. Redwood is no longer available. Are there
any synthetics that would work. I didnt see anything that Trex had
that would do the job.

Jimmie

I'd go with cypress or ipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 11:31*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
The cornerboards on my house are made of 5/4 X 6 lumber. I have
replaced 3 of them with redwood and have no problem with those but the
rest keep rotting out on me. Redwood is no longer available. Are there
any synthetics that would work. I didnt see anything that Trex had
that would do the job.

Jimmie

There are composite ones now. There are also cedar which is pretty
good at rot resistance. Pine will last longer if you prime it
completely, extra on the ends, before install and make sure it is
caulked properly. The biggest problem is that most of us wait till
our house really needs caulk/paint before we do it. I just replaced
some corner boards and window trim myself before I had the painters
come. At $3k or so a pop I procrastinate on the painting. Worse on
my lake house, it's stained and I only got 7 years out of the last
job. House and detached garage were $5 to do. No wonder I put it
off, haha.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 10:31*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
The cornerboards on my house are made of 5/4 X 6 lumber. I have
replaced 3 of them with redwood and have no problem with those but the
rest keep rotting out on me. Redwood is no longer available. Are there
any synthetics that would work. I didnt see anything that Trex had
that would do the job.

Have you thought about Hardie panel? My house is Hardie panel board
and batton with the same for corner boards. If they rot, give
up. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DanG wrote:
What you are seeking is called AZEK.

http://www.azek.com/

Redwood is still available, treated lumber is available, the Azeck
is probably the best product.

For certain definitions of "best"...

It is a pita for installation and finishing cut edges, etc., and looks
like plastic on a house when done imo...