Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vent stack too short at roof

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:25:04 -0700, Skylar wrote:
I just had a plumber help me with some remodeling. One of the items he
did was swap out my old cast iron stack with a black PVC stack... well I
got up on the roof today, and the darn thing is practically flush with
the rubber boot (maybe an inch or so beyond it).

We're in Ohio, so I think code says it has to hit 12" because of snow.
What are my options? My plan was to simply buy a coupler and another 12"
of pipe and try to pvc-glue it together... is that allowed by code?

@John - He was sort of shady in general, so i'd rather be done with
him and just not call him back.

@Ricod - I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that.
The concrete is still curing downstairs so I can't get at it from the
base yet. It's definitely black plastic (pvc?) as I could see the
interior when they were cutting pieces and it was black all the way
through.

@DM - Thanks, maybe I'll give the county a call in the AM and find
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Skylar" wrote in message

@Ricod - I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that.
The concrete is still curing downstairs so I can't get at it from the
base yet. It's definitely black plastic (pvc?) as I could see the
interior when they were cutting pieces and it was black all the way
through.

Black has always been ABS, PVC is white or cream colored.

If adding above the roof line be careful not to compress the rubber boot.

If I had to do it that way I would glue the coupler to the short section and
then use 2 SS crews to connect the coupler to the existing pipe. Someday
that piece of pipe will have to come off when the roof is redone. The
screws will allow it to be removed. SS screws will not rust.

Since it is just a vent the screws will do no harm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 8:44*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Skylar" wrote in message

@Ricod - I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that.
The concrete is still curing downstairs so I can't get at it from the
base yet. It's definitely black plastic (pvc?) as I could see the
interior when they were cutting pieces and it was black all the way
through.

Black has always been ABS, PVC is white or cream colored.

If adding above the roof line be careful not to compress the rubber boot.

If I had to do it that way I would glue the coupler to the short section and
then use 2 SS crews to connect the coupler to the existing pipe. *Someday
that piece of pipe will have to come off when the roof is redone. *The
screws will allow it to be removed. *SS screws will not rust.

Since it is just a vent the screws will do no harm.

That is a better way to do it. Good call on the reroof.

My question about the color and diameter of the pipe has to do with
code. I'm not sure what code applies for the OP, but if it's the IRC
or some similar flavor; in a heavy snow area the minimum diameter as
it exits the roof is 3",
plastic has to be painted,
and the vent has to be 6" above the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 12:48*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 17, 8:44*am, "Colbyt" wrote:

"Skylar" wrote in message

@Ricod - I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that.
The concrete is still curing downstairs so I can't get at it from the
base yet. It's definitely black plastic (pvc?) as I could see the
interior when they were cutting pieces and it was black all the way
through.

Black has always been ABS, PVC is white or cream colored.

If adding above the roof line be careful not to compress the rubber boot.

PVC roof sewer vent stack okay? Jay-T[_7_] Home Repair 3 April 13th 10 11:35 AM
Supporting 3" vent stack Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 10 November 12th 08 08:28 PM
Size of vent stack? Tom UK diy 4 January 30th 05 05:21 PM
Soil Vent Stack Problem Zikki Malambo UK diy 0 December 10th 04 12:51 PM