Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Vent stack too short at roof

On Apr 17, 8:44*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Skylar" wrote in message

@Ricod - I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that.
The concrete is still curing downstairs so I can't get at it from the
base yet. It's definitely black plastic (pvc?) as I could see the
interior when they were cutting pieces and it was black all the way
through.

Black has always been ABS, PVC is white or cream colored.

If adding above the roof line be careful not to compress the rubber boot.

If I had to do it that way I would glue the coupler to the short section and
then use 2 SS crews to connect the coupler to the existing pipe. *Someday
that piece of pipe will have to come off when the roof is redone. *The
screws will allow it to be removed. *SS screws will not rust.

Since it is just a vent the screws will do no harm.

That is a better way to do it. Good call on the reroof.

My question about the color and diameter of the pipe has to do with
code. I'm not sure what code applies for the OP, but if it's the IRC
or some similar flavor; in a heavy snow area the minimum diameter as
it exits the roof is 3",
plastic has to be painted,
and the vent has to be 6" above the roof.