Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garbage disposer advice?

I'm replacing a 25 year old garbage disposer for my kitchen sink.

It looks like there are several different type of mounting and sink flange.
Is there one type that's better?

I don't plan to keep the old sink flange; it's dirty anyway, so
compatibility is not an issue. However the cabinet is small and I prefer not
to have to move the pipes, so a compact unit is preferred (no taller than 13
inches, and diameter no more than 7-inches at the widest).

I saw the review in consumer reports as well. If you have other suggestions
please let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:
I'm replacing a 25 year old garbage disposer for my kitchen sink.

It looks like there are several different type of mounting and sink
flange. Is there one type that's better?

I don't plan to keep the old sink flange; it's dirty anyway, so
compatibility is not an issue. However the cabinet is small and I prefer
not to have to move the pipes, so a compact unit is preferred (no taller
than 13 inches, and diameter no more than 7-inches at the widest).

I saw the review in consumer reports as well. If you have other
suggestions please let me know.

Hi,
ISE has twist lock type mounting.
Very easy to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"james" wrote in message
I'm replacing a 25 year old garbage disposer for my kitchen sink.

It looks like there are several different type of mounting and sink
flange. Is there one type that's better?

I don't plan to keep the old sink flange; it's dirty anyway, so
compatibility is not an issue. However the cabinet is small and I prefer
not to have to move the pipes, so a compact unit is preferred (no taller
than 13 inches, and diameter no more than 7-inches at the widest).

I saw the review in consumer reports as well. If you have other
suggestions please let me know.

Get a good machine and it will have a good locking system. Kitchen Air,
Whirlpool, ISE are all made by the same company and use the same twist lock.
Simple to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 6:02*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"james" wrote in message

I'm replacing a 25 year old garbage disposer for my kitchen sink.

It looks like there are several different type of mounting and sink
flange. Is there one type that's better?

I don't plan to keep the old sink flange; it's dirty anyway, so
compatibility is not an issue. However the cabinet is small and I prefer
not to have to move the pipes, so a compact unit is preferred (no taller
than 13 inches, and diameter no more than 7-inches at the widest).

I saw the review in consumer reports as well. If you have other
suggestions please let me know.

Get a good machine and it will have a good locking system. *Kitchen Air,
Whirlpool, ISE are all made by the same company and use the same twist lock.
Simple to use.

Pay attention to the wring that goes inside the sink and is visible in
the bottom of the sink. Some models have highly polished stainless
that looks great. Others have grayer looking stainless ones that
makes a $500 sink look like crap. I went with InSinkerator. About
5 years old now and no problems. The only think I don't like is that
the previous one, think it was GE that was 20 years old had a removal
throat part. That is the part that holds the rubber fingers that you
see in the opening. The old one pulled out so you had a bigger
opening, no rubber fingers in the way when you needed to get your hand
in to retrieve something. With he InSinkerator I have med size hands
and can barely slip it in to try to retrieve things.

Also pay attention to the plumbing constraints. Pull up a diagram
online that shows the mins/maxs for the unit you are considering,
especially with deep sinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2010 7:33 AM,
wrote:
On Apr 15, 6:02 am, "Ed wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I just got a new ISE last year. It did
have a removable rubber-finger-thing.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, ISE makes the
Kitchen Aid .... at least they did some
number of years ago. Now, Whirlpool
owns KA, so who knows.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"james" wrote in message
I'm replacing a 25 year old garbage disposer for my kitchen sink.

It looks like there are several different type of mounting and sink
flange. Is there one type that's better?

I don't plan to keep the old sink flange; it's dirty anyway, so
compatibility is not an issue. However the cabinet is small and I prefer
not to have to move the pipes, so a compact unit is preferred (no taller
than 13 inches, and diameter no more than 7-inches at the widest).

I saw the review in consumer reports as well. If you have other
suggestions please let me know.

As noted in other posts, I think that the ISE is one of the better brands.
One of the tough parts about installing the disposal is holding it in place
while you're trying to secure it to the locking ring on the sink. I finally
came up with a method that worked out just great. I used an auto scissors
jack to lift the disposal up in place and hold it against the locking ring.
Just one caution--lift too much and you could start to buckle the sink--fine
touch needed here.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 3:11*am, "james" wrote:
I'm replacing a 25 year old garbage disposer for my kitchen sink.

It looks like there are several different type of mounting and sink flange.
Is there one type that's better?

I don't plan to keep the old sink flange; it's dirty anyway, so
compatibility is not an issue. However the cabinet is small and I prefer not
to have to move the pipes, so a compact unit is preferred (no taller than 13
inches, and diameter no more than 7-inches at the widest).

I saw the review in consumer reports as well. If you have other suggestions
please let me know.

InSinkerator makes a Compact unit. It'll go by different names at the
different Big Boxes, so you can't price match.

Look He

http://www.insinkerator.com/product/...3&template=hhd

Very quiet, very easy to install. My favorite feature is that the
sound baffle is removable, not like the the old Kenmore baffle that
was sandwiched between the sink and flange.

After years of retrieving soap bars and other items from the disposer,
the old baffle was pretty beat up but it meant removing the disposer
to replace it.

The InSinkerator baffle lifts right out for easy access and will be
easy to replace if it ever gets worn - although I don't see how it
ever will, since it doesn't get any abuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 00:11:58 -0700, "james" wrote:

If you have other suggestions
please let me know.

Salvage the power cord from the old unit. I forget if the new units
have a cord or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:48:14 -0400, "MLD" wrote:

"james" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah. I can't tell if I was getting older or smarter. The first time
or two I held it up with my hands, until I could twist it into the
bayonet mount. The last time when I was 58, I had enough strength to
do that IF it mated quickly, but it seemed to take 3 tries and I still
hadn't got it. So I used a jack too, a floor jack I think. I had to
set the rear wheels on a box outside of the cabinet. You still have
to balance it on the jack, but it's a lot easier and time is not
really an issue anymore.