Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Hinge a Wooden Gate ?

Hi,

I want to replace a wooden gate in my yard, in a 3 row
split rail fence. I am providing pics of the gate and the hinges. I
believe the name of the hinge type is something and pintle.

I will also need to replace the rotted post next to the hinged
side of the gate.

I thought I would be able to just lift the gate off the hinges,
but not so. After lots of Liquid Wrench and "3 in 1" oil on the
hinges, I was able to move the gate up about an inch ( separated the
hinges about an inch), but it seems to be stuck there.

I want to reuse these hinges in my new gate, if possible.

My main question is ......... how accurate do I have to be in
installing these pintle type hinges into the new post and gate ?
Is there a method to make sure everything lines up properly?
Would Home Depot or Lowes be able to drill holes into the post and
gate for me that are exactly parallel ?

Am I correct in assuming a pintle hinge is supposed to come apart into
2 pieces?

gate : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/...0a03e3d7_m.jpg

one hinge : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/...1a31c241_m.jpg

Thanks