Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to Hinge a Wooden Gate ?

On Apr 11, 10:10*pm, utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

* * * * * * * * I want to replace a wooden gate in my yard, in a 3 row
split rail fence. *I am providing pics of the gate and the hinges. * I
believe the name of the hinge type is something and pintle.

* * *I will also need to replace the rotted post next to the hinged
side of the gate.

* * I thought I would be able to just lift the gate off the hinges,
but not so. After lots of Liquid Wrench and "3 in 1" oil on the
hinges, I was able to move the gate up about an inch ( separated the
hinges about an inch), but it seems to be stuck there.

* * I want to reuse these hinges in my new gate, if possible.

*My main question is ......... * how accurate do I have to be in
installing these pintle type * hinges into the new post and gate ?
Is there a method to make sure everything lines up properly?
Would Home Depot or Lowes be able to drill holes into the post and
gate for me that are exactly parallel ?

Am I correct in assuming a pintle hinge is supposed to come apart into
2 pieces?

gate : *http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/...0a03e3d7_m.jpg

one *hinge : *http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/...1a31c241_m.jpg

Thanks

"I believe the name of the hinge type is something and pintle."

I believe the something is "screw eye", as in Pintle and Screw Eye
Hinge.

"Am I correct in assuming a pintle hinge is supposed to come apart
into 2 pieces?

Yes, unless someone has enlarged (peened?) the top of the pintle to
prevent the removal of the gate.

"Would Home Depot or Lowes be able to drill holes into the post
and gate for me that are exactly parallel?"

Perhaps *a person* in one of those stores could, but I doubt that they
will - at least not without a "installation contract" of some type and
a charge. The only thing I have ever seen them do for free is cut
wood.

"Is there a method to make sure everything lines up properly?"

It would seem to me that with a few accurate measurements and proper
drilling techniques it should be fairly easy to mount this type of
hinge. A fairly simple jig that could be clamped around the posts
could help ensure that you drill a straight hole.

"how accurate do I have to be in installing these pintle type
hinges"

How well do you want the gate to work?

Basically, the three things to be concerned with a

1 - You want the pintle and eye bolt to be centered in the fence post
and gate post (Is it called a stile when it's part of a gate?)

2 - You want the pintle and eye bolt to both be level.

3 - You want the gate raised up high enough to clear any obstructions
on the ground. That means that 10" from the ground to bottom pindle on
the fence post might mean only 7" to the bottom pindle on the gate.

Oh yeah, I guess another thing to ensure is that each eye hook sits
firmly on it's respective pintle. If only sits on the pintle, then
that pintle will be bearing the full weight of the gate and the other
hinge will just sort of be guiding it.