Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cast iron gate hinge

I want to put the original gate back on the renovation I am doing.
Unfortunately I seem to have lost an integral part of the gate.

The top "hinge" is a flat strap which is physically attached to the gate
and was built into the brick pier.

Ascii drawing (hope it works!)

| | | | | |
|-|-|-|-|-o---- - (strap built into brickwork)
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
|-|-|-|-|-|
|-|-|-|-|-|
U - Metal cup

At the bottom however there was a small metal "cup" that the gate sat on
allowing it to swing. It is this bit that I have lost.

I don't know what this bit is called, or indeed if it something I can
easily get hold of. Brickies are coming next week to build the wall so
I need to find something quickly.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Carroll wrote:
I want to put the original gate back on the renovation I am doing.
Unfortunately I seem to have lost an integral part of the gate.

The top "hinge" is a flat strap which is physically attached to the
gate and was built into the brick pier.

Ascii drawing (hope it works!)

-|-|-|-|-o---- - (strap built into brickwork)

-|-|-|-|-|
-|-|-|-|-|

U - Metal cup

At the bottom however there was a small metal "cup" that the gate sat
on allowing it to swing. It is this bit that I have lost.

I don't know what this bit is called, or indeed if it something I can
easily get hold of. Brickies are coming next week to build the wall
so I need to find something quickly.

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

If you live near a local engineering firm, someone making wrought iron gates
or even a local blacksmith or farrier, then the bit that you want can be
easily made.

If you don't, then all is not lost, as I've seen this type of gate resting
in a concrete 'cup' that was made by the brickie rebuilding the gate pier -
this consisted of a piece of tube cut to the required length with an
internal diameter the size of the spigot on the bottom of the gate stile -
this was set into the wet concrete and well greased before the gate was
re-fitted.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Carroll" wrote in message
[...]

If you get desperate a big eye bolt and some washers will probably be OK
(depending on the size of pin that sits in the cup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 July, 21:51, Martin Carroll wrote:

At the bottom however there was a small metal "cup" that the gate sat on
allowing it to swing. *It is this bit that I have lost.

Wouldn't worry, haven't often seen one of those that wasn't badly worn
egg-shaped.

Mine are car bits scrap (CV joint? roller bearing race?) You need
anything vaguely conically cupped for self-centring behaviour and
about the right size. Hole in the bottom for drainage. A taper also
lets you adjust the effective diameter by shimming it up & down.

Otherwise a lump of random cast iron (wrought iron if you have it) and
a lathe. It's more rust resistant than most steels. If you're not
worried about impact damage, winebottle bases make a great outdoor
bearing (traditional for weathervanes)