Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire dryer heating element replacement; what's the trick?

Has a heating element burn out on me in a Frigidaire Gallery dryer. It
was straightforward to replace it. I needed to pull the drum forward
to get to the heating element behind it, so I removed the three screws
(#10-ish) at the back of the drum to do so. But when I was ready to
put the drum back, it took me and a helper almost an hour to get the
drum lined up so those three screws could be captured in the holes.
That job was hard with two people and would have been impossible with
one. You have to laboriously walk the drum around to line up the holes
for the screws. The drum has no locating pins, which seems kinda
insane if that's an accepted repair strategy. We finally got one screw
in, and that made it easier to find the other two.

OK, so what's the trick? I mean, if I call a person out to do the job,
they can't be messing around for an hour with a second person to get
that drum reattached.

I guess I could have affixed the screws in the drum with tape, and
blindly walked the drum around until they seated, but that's not a lot
better.They aren't pointed screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
[...]

I had a similar if not the same problem. I laid the dryer on it's back
and by myself easily aligned everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar if not the same problem. *I laid the dryer on it's back
and by myself easily aligned everything.

That makes some sense. I guess that way you don't need a second
person. Still, why would they not have included a locating pin???