Mark H

Default Condenser Dryer heating element problem

I have a Whirlpool condenser dryer which is "tumbling" but has no
heat. I have taken the back off, and after a visual inspection noticed
that the insulation to the spade connectors of a particular component
(thermostat?) had melted and the connections were actualy sooted and
fused, further inspection showed evidence of steam venting from the
rear of the drum to these terminals.

I don't have a manual to the dryer, so let me explain what I have
deduced so far. My guess is that the short cylindrical component is a
thermostat, and there is another identical component in-line with the
supply to what I believe to be the heating element. The heating
element is seated to the rear and center of the drum and is square in
appearance with a looped element being encased with 'fins'.

I have checked the continuity of the 'thermostat', and had to file the
terminals and crimp on 2 new spade connectors to get the thing
operational again. I have a 240V supply to the heating element. but
when I disconnect the terminals to this, and put a meter on the
terminals, I get no continuity.

My questions a

Is this square 'finned' component the heating element, and is the test
I perfomed 'in-situ', really conclusive (ie that the element is
broken), or do I need to remove this from the dryer in order to
perform an acurate test? Which brings me to my final problem, how do I
remove the heating element? The access panel is not big enough to
allow the element to pass through, and the housing for the element
covers most of the rear of the drum and appears to be sealed, welded
and screwed to the drum housing. Finaly, any advice on where I can get
a replacement and how I should fit it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.
Peter

"Mark H" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Common problem the stats going, there are 2 types, one attached with a
spring clip and the other attached with screws to the element. The ones with
the clip you can purchase seperate but the screwed on ones come complete
with element. If you have 240v at element and you gave it time to heat and
its cold then the element has gone.What sometimes happens is the casting
overheats when the stats fail and distort the element casting so that it
wont come out through hole in the back, if this is the case some tin work is
required as its the only way to remove it. Before you proceed check the cost
of the element as I think its around £50 so you might not bother.

Peter

Mark H

Common problem the stats going, there are 2 types, one attached with a
spring clip and the other attached with screws to the element. The ones with
the clip you can purchase seperate but the screwed on ones come complete
with element. If you have 240v at element and you gave it time to heat and
its cold then the element has gone.What sometimes happens is the casting
overheats when the stats fail and distort the element casting so that it
wont come out through hole in the back, if this is the case some tin work is
required as its the only way to remove it. Before you proceed check the cost
of the element as I think its around £50 so you might not bother.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Closer inspection of the element reveals that it
has distorted as you've described - which explains why it won't come
out. I have checked the price of a new element from 3 different
sources and they all quote around £95! A new dryer from the co-op will
cost me £190 so I guess I'll be scrapping this one...

Thanks again,

Mark.