Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much for T1-11, installed?

Okay, for the second year in a row, I went to the half-ass little home
show here, and asked vendors for free estimates on various things. My
faux-T1-11 7/16 OSB siding has seen better days, so I again requested an
estimate from a company that specializes in siding. 1400 sq foot single
story, 3 gable L-shape, maybe 30 panels or so of material, utterly
vanilla. Last year I got an estimate for Hardi-Plank T1-11 (to deter the
woodpeckers), and it came in at 16k, which is a non-starter on a house
worth 120k if I am lucky. So this year I asked a different guy for real
5/8 plywood T1-11, same stuff I saw go up by the acre back in the day.
The estimate came back at 22k. Is there some plausible reason for such a
sky-high quote? And this wasn't even for a remove and replace, just a
side-over. Not even a line on the bid for prime and paint, just naked
wood. Does the guy just not want the job? They should be hungry- I think
there were maybe a dozen new houses started in all of last year, in the
metro area.

Seems like around here, just like everybody only wants to sell vinyl
windows instead of real ones, they only want to sell vinyl siding (which
I hate the look of).

I grew up in the business, and I have the skills to do the work. What I
don't have is the time, unless I take a week or two off from my day job.
I also don't have anyone available to help hoist panels into position
until they can get pinned in place. (4x8 or 4x9 5/8 is not a safe
one-man lift for that.) So unless I say the hell with it and leave it
for the next owner to deal with, I pretty much have to hire it out. Am I
just dreaming that I can get what USED to be the cheap alternative, at a
decent price? Or am I doomed to hold my nose and have the place skinned
in the same plastic as almost all the other houses in the neighborhood?
Constructive suggestions welcomed.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
The estimate came back at 22k. Is there some plausible reason for such a
sky-high quote?

I grew up in the business, and I have the skills to do the work. What I
don't have is the time, unless I take a week or two off from my day job. I
also don't have anyone available to help hoist panels into position until
they can get pinned in place. Constructive suggestions welcomed.

Have you priced the material? Given that you say you'd have to take a week
or two off of work, I'm going to use two weeks as an estimate of time. Of
course, a helper is needed. So you have one person at $50 an hour, the
other at $30. If it is an 80 hour job that would be $6400 plus material.

I wonder if you'd do better asking for a price just for labor if you provide
the material?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

"aemeijers" wrote
The estimate came back at 22k. Is there some plausible reason for
such a sky-high quote?

I grew up in the business, and I have the skills to do the work. What
I don't have is the time, unless I take a week or two off from my day
job. I also don't have anyone available to help hoist panels into
position until they can get pinned in place. Constructive suggestions
welcomed.

Have you priced the material? Given that you say you'd have to take a
week or two off of work, I'm going to use two weeks as an estimate of
time. Of course, a helper is needed. So you have one person at $50
an hour, the other at $30. If it is an 80 hour job that would be
$6400 plus material.

I wonder if you'd do better asking for a price just for labor if you
provide the material?

That'll be even better. Go down to the city and pick up some day
laborers off the corner, or perhaps in the parking lot of the local HD,
as some have mentioned them being there too.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote
The estimate came back at 22k. Is there some plausible reason for such
a sky-high quote?

I grew up in the business, and I have the skills to do the work. What
I don't have is the time, unless I take a week or two off from my day
job. I also don't have anyone available to help hoist panels into
position until they can get pinned in place. Constructive suggestions
welcomed.

Have you priced the material? Given that you say you'd have to take a
week or two off of work, I'm going to use two weeks as an estimate of
time. Of course, a helper is needed. So you have one person at $50 an
hour, the other at $30. If it is an 80 hour job that would be $6400
plus material.

I wonder if you'd do better asking for a price just for labor if you
provide the material?

Somewhere in the 6-10 grand range is what I was expecting, and could
even live with, since I think fresh and crisp siding would make the
house easier to sell in a couple of years. Last time I looked, 4x8 5/8
T1-11 was about $28 a sheet around here. That would have been last
October or so. I'm old, fat, and out of shape, is why I said two weeks,
assuming a young and strong, but inexpert, helper. I know that a good
2-3 man crew that could actually still work 8 hours in a row without
collapsing, could do it a lot quicker. (especially if they had proper
scaffolds and other staging, which I would have to rent or fabricate, to
do the gables.)

(Googles)
Local borg has .59 inch plain wood t1-11 for about $25 a panel. The
(presumably thinner) hardie-panels for about 3 bucks more per sheet. If
my memory is correct about 30 sheets (from when I walked around and
counted last year), that puts the material at $750-840, plus any needed
additional cedar trim (if the old stuff can't be reused), Z-flashing,
nails, and primer and paint. Be generous, and say 2k for material, to
allow for a layer of house wrap underneath. Even plus $6400 for labor,
that still comes in WAY lower than they quoted me.

Guess I need to forget about the guys with yellow-pages ads, and start
calling the ones from the weekly ad paper that say they are 'licensed,
bonded, and insured'. If I could find a guy I could trust to actually
finish the job, I wouldn't even care if he did one face of the house at
a time, in between his other jobs that had hard deadlines.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 16:57:05 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

Obviously Hardi-Plank is a better deal. ;-) My guess is that he doesn't want
the job. I'd tackle a job that size (no second floor) myself. I'm getting a
little old and creaky but $22K!

Seems like around here, just like everybody only wants to sell vinyl
windows instead of real ones, they only want to sell vinyl siding (which
I hate the look of).

You're not alone. I redid my last house in cedar, even knowing that I'd have
to stain it every few years. I did one side a year and it wasn't too bad.

I grew up in the business, and I have the skills to do the work. What I
don't have is the time, unless I take a week or two off from my day job.

Yep, BTDT. I had a lot of vacation, though. Since I retired, I don't. ;-)

I also don't have anyone available to help hoist panels into position
until they can get pinned in place. (4x8 or 4x9 5/8 is not a safe
one-man lift for that.) So unless I say the hell with it and leave it
for the next owner to deal with, I pretty much have to hire it out. Am I
just dreaming that I can get what USED to be the cheap alternative, at a
decent price? Or am I doomed to hold my nose and have the place skinned
in the same plastic as almost all the other houses in the neighborhood?
Constructive suggestions welcomed.

Maybe a tool to lift the panels. HF sells a panel lift, intended for
sheetrock. At a couple of hundred bux it would be worth it even if you had to
throw it in a landfill afterwards. I'm thinking about buying one to do the
sheetrock in my (u)FROG.

....or you could hire a laborer, as someone up there suggested. Around here
painters can be had for $12/hr, now. It takes a lot of hours to come close to
$22K.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
[...]

With all of that, I'd agree that 10k sounds about right. I had a big
siding job to get quotes on about five years ago. The lowest was $60,000,
the highest was $140,000. We went with the cheap job. I think the other
guys would have done better, but not 80k better. It is amazing how much of
a spread contractors can be. Same with paving, over 100% difference from
high to low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 6:10*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote
[...]

I didnt see any figures for tearing the old off and disposing of it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 3, 6:10 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote
[...]

They were gonna layer right over it. On the original footprint of house,
it is over celotex. Not sure if it is over anything on the addition. It
is, at most, 5/16 thick, so once the cedar trim is pulled off, the
thickness of the existing siding is not an issue. Only places it needs
to be pulled off is where it is trapped behind front porch step, and
behind the deck- needs to be dug out and replaced with flashing in those
spots. It is weathered, but other than in a few tiny spots, not rotten.
It is solid enough to staple house wrap to.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

;-)

[...]

I agree the price quote is high..But what did you except JUST talking to
those with the big Yellow Page ads and those at Home Shows...Do a little
more work finding a small contractor...Usually by asking your neighbors or
at the lumber yard..Word of mouth is how they get work...As a side note
T-111 looks worse than vinyl , IMHO..If I were to spend that kinda money on
siding I would use Cedar Shingles , Cedar Claps or even Hardi Claps and do
it myself...You could lift those and do it when you had the time and still
come out ahead money wise and have a MUCH better end product...FWIW..HTH..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

With all of that, I'd agree that 10k sounds about right. I had a big
siding job to get quotes on about five years ago. The lowest was $60,000,
the highest was $140,000. We went with the cheap job. I think the other
guys would have done better, but not 80k better. It is amazing how much
of a spread contractors can be. Same with paving, over 100% difference
from high to low.

Hey, did you have a driveway redone? I'm curious what that costs in
general. Looking for simple cement sort where it comes in blocks.
Currently a double wide.

Yeah, can get some real spread in costs. I generally go with the middle
fellow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote

I agree the price quote is high..But what did you except JUST talking to
those with the big Yellow Page ads and those at Home Shows...Do a little
more work finding a small contractor...Usually by asking your neighbors or
at the lumber yard..Word of mouth is how they get work..

100% agreed. I've got a small contractor who dang near went under last 2
years. We've been good to him and he's good to us now. Hehehe he's now not
even bothering to state a bid really as he always understates with us. He
trusts us to do right by him. He wanted 600$ labor for a back fence job but
we gave 600$ for the first half and are patient for the second half with the
remaining 600$. He's fitting us in on the sides when he has no work.

He brought Jeremey with him last time (teaching him the trade, don't worry,
insured apprentice). He's a hungry 19 year old so we sent him home with a
loaf of breadmaker fresh bread and a quart of hamhock-bean soup. (Eric is
paying him). Mostly it's just us and Eric doing the work.

.As a side note T-111 looks worse than vinyl , IMHO..If I were to spend
that kinda money on siding I would use Cedar Shingles , Cedar Claps or
even Hardi Claps and do it myself...You could lift those and do it when
you had the time and still come out ahead money wise and have a MUCH
better end product...FWIW..HTH..

I *love* cedar shingles! Our house had them but a termite problem finally
had us have to remove them and replace with vinyl siding. Previous owners
didn't know to keep them treated, sorry to say. Properly treated, they last
almost forever. Takes only a regular spray hose with a preventive twice a
year to keep them forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

With all of that, I'd agree that 10k sounds about right. I had a big
siding job to get quotes on about five years ago. The lowest was
$60,000, the highest was $140,000. We went with the cheap job. I think
the other guys would have done better, but not 80k better. It is amazing
how much of a spread contractors can be. Same with paving, over 100%
difference from high to low.

Hey, did you have a driveway redone? I'm curious what that costs in
general. Looking for simple cement sort where it comes in blocks.
Currently a double wide.

Yeah, can get some real spread in costs. I generally go with the middle
fellow.

It was a driveway, parking lot, and part of a street. Can't really say how
the prices are compared to a small residential job. Get a few quotes
though, and ask about the reputation of the company. Some are sleazy, some
are great. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:17:41 -0400, "benick" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Word of mouth is certainly the best way. Happy customers are very good
advertisement. I'm not so sure a lumber yard (what are those?) would be the
best source of information, though.

As a side note
T-111 looks worse than vinyl , IMHO..If I were to spend that kinda money on
siding I would use Cedar Shingles , Cedar Claps or even Hardi Claps and do
it myself...You could lift those and do it when you had the time and still
come out ahead money wise and have a MUCH better end product...FWIW..HTH..

To each... I'm not all that thrilled with T-111, but some like it. I don't
like the look of shingles. The siding is certainly dependant on the house
style. As I said above, my previous house (a cape) pretty much had to have
clapboard siding (I did cedar, rough side out for the looks). OTOH,
clapboards certainly wouldn't go with my current house, more of a Mediteranian
style.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:17:41 -0400, "benick" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

There is always Board and Baton(sp)...Use un-planed stock...Pine or Cedar
Boards are easy to lift for a DIYer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:11:49 -0400, "benick" wrote:

.. .

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, my house is B&B, sorta (B&B with a post and beam look). The B&B material
is Hardi, though. I think it'll work out well here in the South.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:11:49 -0400, "benick" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:17:41 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Nice...I like Post and Beam...You see it alot here as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:43:42 -0400, "benick" wrote:

.. .

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:17:41 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

It's not P&B construction though. It's standard 2-by frame construction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 21:43:42 -0400, "benick" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:11:49 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:sjgfr5d9l5u4lq0f22rvh4s3guhaghtdm6@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

Yea I got that...I still like the look though...Around here (Maine) there is
ALOT of post and beam construction..I've done the drywall in many...There is
quite a few that just have the look as well..Still nice...

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to aemeijers, johnb wrote:

[...]

I just had 270 sheets installed and it cost me along with cedar trim about
78000 for three buildings removal and replacement.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ed-434064-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to aemeijers, Jerry wrote:
I would do it,you hire me,and helper by the hr.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ed-434064-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:14:13 AM UTC-4, Jerry wrote:
replying to aemeijers, Jerry wrote:
I would do it,you hire me,and helper by the hr.

Is your hourly rate calculated in 2010 dollars?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/26/2017 6:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:14:13 AM UTC-4, Jerry wrote:
replying to aemeijers, Jerry wrote:
I would do it,you hire me,and helper by the hr.

Is your hourly rate calculated in 2010 dollars?

Doesn't matter now. I did the job for a six-pack. I have some nails
left over too.

Pictures -- VFD installed on the DP Ignoramus30818 Metalworking 22 November 17th 09 12:08 AM
Can granite be cut after it is installed? zeller883 Home Repair 5 November 19th 07 05:52 PM
Spa Installed John Home Repair 21 April 24th 06 02:41 AM
Installed a subpanel! zxcvbob Home Repair 7 January 10th 05 04:48 PM
How do I get a gas main installed? Jimmy UK diy 44 January 9th 05 02:08 PM