Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures -- VFD installed on the DP

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:17:02 -0600, Ignoramus30818
wrote:

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

Very nicely done!

So how do you like it?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

Very nicely done!

So how do you like it?

I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30818 wrote:
Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

She's a beaut, Iggy!

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

Very nicely done!

So how do you like it?

I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.

Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-15, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus30818 wrote:
Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

She's a beaut, Iggy!

And she was rather dirty when I picked'er up... Took a lot of oven
cleaner and paper towels...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

Very nicely done!

So how do you like it?

I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.

Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.

I was pushing it down rather hard...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:09:00 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus30818
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

Very nicely done!

Yeah, what he said.

So how do you like it?

I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.

Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.

I was pushing it down rather hard...

Um, the 3' extension pipe was too much, Ig.

P.S: Go sharpen that bit.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now it is fully operational. I also installed a reversing switch,
which I like better than the original control. Everything seems to
work.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powe...-Installation/

Very nicely done!

So how do you like it?

I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.

Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.

I was pushing it down rather hard...

Hard as in "cheater pipe on the spokes" or applying body weight on the
spokes?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.
Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.

I was pushing it down rather hard...

Hard as in "cheater pipe on the spokes" or applying body weight on the
spokes?

Applying body weight on spokes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:10:39 -0600, Ignoramus30818

On 2009-11-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.
Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.
I was pushing it down rather hard...

Hard as in "cheater pipe on the spokes" or applying body weight on the
spokes?

Applying body weight on spokes.

What was the ouput frequency of the drive when you stalled the motor?
If you have a simple open-loop V/Hz drive the motor torque will drop
off at low speeds.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.
Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.
I was pushing it down rather hard...

Hard as in "cheater pipe on the spokes" or applying body weight on the
spokes?

Applying body weight on spokes.

Are you still a fat ass, or are you skinny now?

You did good.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does anyone else do this? Was - Pictures -- VFD installed on the DP

On 2009-11-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
I love it, so far it seems to be very convenient to use. I have only
tried a 7/8" drill for now. It works, although I have managed to stall
it with a 7/8" drill bit. 130-2000 RPM seems like a good speed range
also. I am also very glad that I installed a 115V VFD.
Its is entirely possible to stall a 7/8ths bit...but it does raise some
concerns. How did it happen? A 1hp motor really shouldnt stall out on
only a 7/8ths in bit. Unless you **** up of course.
I was pushing it down rather hard...

Hard as in "cheater pipe on the spokes" or applying body weight on the
spokes?

Applying body weight on spokes.

My normal, preferred grip is to grab the top spoke and rest my elbow
against the lower front one. I find that this gives much better
control (and much higher torque when needed).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:37:25 -0600, Ignoramus30818

On 2009-11-16, Ned Simmons wrote:

What was the ouput frequency of the drive when you stalled the motor?
If you have a simple open-loop V/Hz drive the motor torque will drop
off at low speeds.

It was 60 Hz.

Are you sure you stalled the motor, or could the belt have been
slipping? My band saw will slip the belt at the speed adjustment
extremes if you really lean on it. I suspect the belt is touching the
ID of the adjustable pulley when it's wide open, which interferes with
the contact pressure between the flanges and the side of the belt.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-16, Ned Simmons wrote:

What was the ouput frequency of the drive when you stalled the motor?
If you have a simple open-loop V/Hz drive the motor torque will drop
off at low speeds.

It was 60 Hz.

Are you sure you stalled the motor, or could the belt have been
slipping?

I am fairly positive that the belt slipped and the motor was not
stalled. I still heard the motor run.

In fact, there is one more thing that I do not like, which is that the
drive is creaky. It is not that bad, but if I can do something to
improve it, I would.

My band saw will slip the belt at the speed adjustment extremes if
you really lean on it. I suspect the belt is touching the ID of the
adjustable pulley when it's wide open, which interferes with the
contact pressure between the flanges and the side of the belt.

Possibly. I have never opened the drill press head on this DP.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:13:19 -0600, Ignoramus30118
wrote:

It was 60 Hz.

Are you sure you stalled the motor, or could the belt have been
slipping?

I am fairly positive that the belt slipped and the motor was not
stalled. I still heard the motor run.

In fact, there is one more thing that I do not like, which is that the
drive is creaky. It is not that bad, but if I can do something to
improve it, I would.

Belt dressing may help.

AutoZone sells several kinds.

This is probably one of the best..and as far as I know..usually found at
NAPA auto stores

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-1...l-oz-440c.aspx

There are two kinds of "belt dressing"

One is primarily a lubricant..the other is a dressing (conditioner) and
adhesive..

You DONT want a lubricant on your drill press belts. Its primarily used
for serpentine belts to keep them from squeeking.

You want something to make them sticky.

Btw..the best long term thing..is frankly..a new belt. Shrug..but
proper belt dressing will last a long time if applied occasionally

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh..as a side note...belts can normally be had cheaply from either
autoparts stores or often even cheaper at bearing supply houses.

If you order a belt from a machine tool vender..it will be marked
up..often times 200-400% higher than you can get it elsewhere..so try to
avoid buying a belt from Clausing....cringe.

But get their price and use it as the standard.

Recently Ive been suprised as hell to find some..some..some machine tool
parts actually cheaper from the company than from any other source...but
its ****ing rare.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe I should get a new belt. I heard bad things about belt
dressings. While at it, I will also replace the spindle bearings and
will clean up the drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-1...h-gasket-seale...

There are two kinds of "belt dressing"

One is primarily a lubricant..the other is a dressing (conditioner) and
adhesive..

You DONT want a lubricant on your drill press belts. Its primarily used
for serpentine belts to keep them from squeeking.

You want something to make them sticky.

Btw..the best long term thing..is frankly..a new belt. *Shrug..but
proper belt dressing will last a long time if applied occasionally

Maybe I should get a new belt. I heard bad things about belt
dressings. While at it, I will also replace the spindle bearings and
will clean up the drive.

i- Hide quoted text -

Don't use them...it ruins the belt.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats pretty much up to you. Im not there to diagnose your machine.

Frankly however..if I were wishing to drill holes to +/- .005...Id use
the mill instead of a drill press for the most part.

Its up to you if you want or actually need to spend the money on belts
and bearings.

Shrug

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
Oh..as a side note...belts can normally be had cheaply from either
autoparts stores or often even cheaper at bearing supply houses.

If you order a belt from a machine tool vender..it will be marked
up..often times 200-400% higher than you can get it elsewhere..so try to
avoid buying a belt from Clausing....cringe.

The belt is 1922V443. McMaster has it for $50, ebay is not cheaper.

But get their price and use it as the standard.

Recently Ive been suprised as hell to find some..some..some machine tool
parts actually cheaper from the company than from any other source...but
its ****ing rare.

Clausing wanted $700 for one freaking brass nut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:57:17 -0600, Ignoramus30118

On 2009-11-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
Oh..as a side note...belts can normally be had cheaply from either
autoparts stores or often even cheaper at bearing supply houses.

If you order a belt from a machine tool vender..it will be marked
up..often times 200-400% higher than you can get it elsewhere..so try to
avoid buying a belt from Clausing....cringe.

The belt is 1922V443. McMaster has it for $50, ebay is not cheaper.

Call around to your various bearing houses and see what they can do.

Be glad its only $50..the secondary drive belt on my Clausing 1501 is
$108..plus $15 shipping from Clausing. And there isnt enough of the old
one left to be able to ID it beyond wide limits.

Hence it still sits beltless in my shop.

But get their price and use it as the standard.

Recently Ive been suprised as hell to find some..some..some machine tool
parts actually cheaper from the company than from any other source...but
its ****ing rare.

Clausing wanted $700 for one freaking brass nut.

Indeed. Which is why I prefer to not purchase a Clausing drill press
with a Reeves drive in it..ie variable speed. The parts are as I
mentioned...... "expensive"