Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery charger repair

Like most small automotive battery chargers mine is a piece of crap
little 8 amp unit. When I went to use it the connectors were bad and
one of the wires pulled out of the connector. Fixed that and there
isnt enough spring tension for it to make reliable connection to the
battery terminal. By now Im getting a little fumed because I worked to
work on my van instead of the battery charger. I had a couple of
miniature vice grip pliers, basically toys. I drilled holes in the
jaws and tapped them. Replaced the cable on it with some heavy duty
speaker wire, I think wires are about #12 and fastened the wires to
the screws I installed on the jaws with some crimp-on terminals. These
things will now fasten on to anything and break through just about
any kind of crud to make a good contact.

Hope this helps someone

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 6:12*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Like most small automotive battery chargers mine is a piece of crap
little 8 amp unit. When I went to use it the connectors were bad and
one of the wires pulled out of the connector. Fixed that and there
isnt enough spring tension for it to make reliable connection to the
battery terminal. By now Im getting a little fumed because I worked to
work on my van instead of the battery charger. I had a couple of
miniature vice grip pliers, basically toys. I drilled holes in the
jaws and tapped them. Replaced the cable on it with some heavy duty
speaker wire, I think wires are about #12 and fastened the wires to
the screws I installed on the jaws with some crimp-on terminals. These
things will now *fasten on to anything and break through just *about
any kind of crud to make a good contact.

Hope this helps someone

Jimmie

Well you will buy Chinese!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Visegrips as spring clamps. I'd not have thought of that. I
woulda gone to the auto parts, and buy to replacement
clamps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 9:18*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Visegrips as spring clamps. I'd not have thought of that. I
woulda gone to the auto parts, and buy to replacement
clamps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Got the idea from my welder. It uses a modified pair of vice grips for
the ground connection. Dont know where I got the mini vice grips from
but they make great connectors. I'm thinking jumper cables now.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Visegrips as spring clamps. I'd not have thought of that. I
woulda gone to the auto parts, and buy to replacement
clamps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Got the idea from my welder. It uses a modified pair of vice grips for
the ground connection. Dont know where I got the mini vice grips from
but they make great connectors. I'm thinking jumper cables now.

Jimmie

Wife says I picked up one set at the Dollar store and the second was
her dad's. His last "job" was selling flea market tools.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:24:18 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 1, 6:12Â*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
Like most small automotive battery chargers mine is a piece of crap
little 8 amp unit. When I went to use it the connectors were bad and
one of the wires pulled out of the connector. Fixed that and there
isnt enough spring tension for it to make reliable connection to the
battery terminal. By now Im getting a little fumed because I worked to
work on my van instead of the battery charger. I had a couple of
miniature vice grip pliers, basically toys. I drilled holes in the
jaws and tapped them. Replaced the cable on it with some heavy duty
speaker wire, I think wires are about #12 and fastened the wires to
the screws I installed on the jaws with some crimp-on terminals. These
things will now Â*fasten on to anything and break through just Â*about
any kind of crud to make a good contact.

Hope this helps someone

Jimmie

Well you will buy Chinese!

Getting to the point the only option is to buy old used and refurb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:18:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Visegrips as spring clamps. I'd not have thought of that. I
woulda gone to the auto parts, and buy to replacement
clamps.

For small chargers (bad clamps), I used a hose clamp. Strip the wire
a bit, connect to the terminal and tighten (wire under the hose clamp
at the terminal.

A hose clamp works in a pinch. I've done the same with bad jumper
cable connectors or used visegrips.

Just something with a tight connection.... for a jump or charge.

Battery Charger Repair ? the_constructor UK diy 36 June 30th 07 12:30 PM
Battery Charger Repair ? Palindrome UK diy 0 June 27th 07 09:28 AM
Battery Charger Repair ? George UK diy 0 June 27th 07 09:02 AM
NiCad Battery Charger repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 May 9th 07 05:25 AM
need to repair battery charger RB Electronics Repair 4 December 10th 04 06:41 PM