Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Default Battery Charger Repair ?

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

--
the_constructor

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:
Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

--
the_constructor

Have you had a look inside them? If you tell us what's in there, we
might be able to help *you* fix them.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:
Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

There will be a transformer rectifier unit plus a controller of some sort, a
sealed unit full of electronics probably these days. Without test meters you
can't check the rectifier unit or the electronics and if the transformer
isn't burnt out you are stumped.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Cerumen wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

There will be a transformer rectifier unit plus a controller of some sort, a
sealed unit full of electronics probably these days. Without test meters you
can't check the rectifier unit or the electronics and if the transformer
isn't burnt out you are stumped.

Not necessarily. Many sealed lead acid chargers are SMPSUs these days.

As stated in a previous post, I have several mobility scooter chargers.
They are all switch-mode.

--
Sue

--
Sue
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

"Palindrome" wrote in message
m...
Cerumen wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

There will be a transformer rectifier unit plus a controller of some
sort, a sealed unit full of electronics probably these days. Without test
meters you can't check the rectifier unit or the electronics and if the
transformer isn't burnt out you are stumped.

Not necessarily. Many sealed lead acid chargers are SMPSUs these days.

As stated in a previous post, I have several mobility scooter chargers.
They are all switch-mode.

I always forget how long it is since I looked inside one. :-)

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Cerumen wrote:
"Palindrome" wrote in message
m...
Cerumen wrote:
oups.com...
wrote:
Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility
scooters that need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy
binning them.

There will be a transformer rectifier unit plus a controller of some
sort, a sealed unit full of electronics probably these days.
Without test meters you can't check the rectifier unit or the
electronics and if the transformer isn't burnt out you are stumped.

Not necessarily. Many sealed lead acid chargers are SMPSUs these
days. As stated in a previous post, I have several mobility scooter
chargers. They are all switch-mode.

I always forget how long it is since I looked inside one. :-)

I think there's been some serious changes in the chargers used for scooters
in the past few years.
We recently bought a new mobility scooter, and the charger doesn't look much
different to the charger for our laptop.
Obviously the plug where it connects to the battery is different, but other
than that, it's a world of difference from the big bulky car-battery style
charger that the old scooter came with.
Oddly, the plug on this charger is exactly the same as the ones fitted on
microphone cables.

--
http://www.norfolklupus.co.uk
http://www.thebooknook.co.uk

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Cerumen wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:
Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

There will be a transformer rectifier unit plus a controller of some sort, a
sealed unit full of electronics probably these days. Without test meters you
can't check the rectifier unit or the electronics and if the transformer
isn't burnt out you are stumped.

Huh? most of the ones I have seen for lead acid anyway are just
transformer rectifiers..with enough impedance in them to reduce to
trickle as the battery voltage nears 'fully charged'

Nickel cells unless you want fast charging are just low constant current
things.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:45:47 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

That sounds like a ripoff.
A quick search seems to prove it
http://www.powadrive.co.uk/shop/deta...=28&category=6

And even that seems a bit heavy.

The scooters I've seen both used sealed 12 volt lead acid batteries. A
normal car charger would have charged them.

Try a local auto electrician if you must have them fixed but I'd nip
into the local car accessory shop and just get normal charger. Or buy
one of those £26.50 ones
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

wrote:

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

That sounds like a ripoff.
A quick search seems to prove it
http://www.powadrive.co.uk/shop/deta...=28&category=6

And even that seems a bit heavy.

And is limited to 4A charging. The OP's chargers are 8A, as was the one
I suggested.

The scooters I've seen both used sealed 12 volt lead acid batteries. A
normal car charger would have charged them.

A "normal" unregulated high output car charger should never be used with
sealed lead acid batteries. It can cause permanent irreversible damage
in a single charge.

Try a local auto electrician if you must have them fixed but I'd nip
into the local car accessory shop and just get normal charger. Or buy
one of those £26.50 ones

Following the former advice can leave the OP needing a new set of
batteries, as well as a new (suitable) charger. The latter will need him
waiting twice as long without the scooter, waiting for it to recharge..

--
Sue
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cerumen wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

There will be a transformer rectifier unit plus a controller of some
sort, a sealed unit full of electronics probably these days. Without
test meters you can't check the rectifier unit or the electronics and
if the transformer isn't burnt out you are stumped.

Huh? most of the ones I have seen for lead acid anyway are just
transformer rectifiers..with enough impedance in them to reduce to
trickle as the battery voltage nears 'fully charged'

The "impedance in them" limits the initial charging current. It does not
cause the current to reduce to a trickle.

Trickle chargers limit the current to a trickle at all times. They are
safe enough, but will typically take 10 hours to charge a battery.

Cheap "transformer rectifier" chargers are unregulated. They may easily
charge at too high a rate during initial charge and have too high an
output voltage to leave "charging", once the battery is charged. The
final "trickle" charge is determined by the charger output voltage - not
the "impedance".

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Palindrome wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cerumen wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Both actually.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

George wrote:

On 27 Jun, 08:45, "the_constructor" wrote:

Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters

that

need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

--
the_constructor

Have you had a look inside them? If you tell us what's in there, we
might be able to help *you* fix them.

Usually they are blessedly simple, and the fuse has simply gone. Chances
are its a blade type thing in the output

Blade type thing? you mean the finned rectifier.

Hell man technology has advanced dramatically since the ford popular days

No, I think he means a blade-type fuse.

However, some preset output chargers use a resistor built into a
"blade-type fuse" link to set the charging profile and even battery type.

They come with a range of different links for the new owner to choose from.

A third party, seeing one of these and thinking it just a fuse, could
cause a lot of damage replacing it with one..

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Palindrome wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cerumen wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Nope. The impedance of the supply has to be low to deliver a high normal
charging current. Unless that impedance is altered as the battery
reaches its charged state (ie not a cheap transformer-rectifier
charger), the supply impedance remains low - too low to affect the
trickle current level.

--
Sue
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On 27 Jun, 17:56, Alang wrote:
The scooters I've seen both used sealed 12 volt lead acid batteries. A
normal car charger would have charged them.

Once, and it'll kill them

That's nearly as dumb a posting as old Isacc Newton's 8-(

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

They're probably SMPS which can be time consuming to fault find and
repair, and not always possible to get certain spare parts for.

If you look at the usual suspects - CPC, RS components etc, you should be
able to buy a suitable charger for a lot less than that. You'll need to
ascertain what type of batteries they use. SLA types need a different
charger from 'wet' lead acid.

You'll probably need to have the correct output plug fitted. A
neighbour's one uses an ordinary 3 pin XLR connector as used for
microphones.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

In message ,
the_constructor writes
Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

Where are you, and how heavy are they ?

I can take a look if you want

www.cetltd.com

--
geoff
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:20:02 -0700, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 27 Jun, 17:56, Alang wrote:
The scooters I've seen both used sealed 12 volt lead acid batteries. A
normal car charger would have charged them.

Once, and it'll kill them

How?

That's nearly as dumb a posting as old Isacc Newton's 8-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Warning! Thread Hijack (Well, this is Usenet ))

What is the best way of storing these scooter batteries?

An uncle recently died and left a mobility scooter. The family want to
keep it in case my aunt needs it in future. I think I'm right in saying
that car batteries shouldn't be allowed to go flat? so I told them to
charge them periodically (they have 2) but how often?

Alan
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Jun 27, 7:58 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

They're probably SMPS which can be time consuming to fault find and
repair, and not always possible to get certain spare parts for.

Often the output caps, a TV repair shop should be able to check and
replace them.

If DIYing remember to put new ones in the right way round

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:14:07 -0700, Pete C wrote:

Often the output caps, a TV repair shop should be able to check and
replace them.

A _what_ shop ?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

wrote:

On 27 Jun, 17:56, Alang wrote:

The scooters I've seen both used sealed 12 volt lead acid batteries. A
normal car charger would have charged them.

Once, and it'll kill them

How?

Sealed lead acid batteries can gas during charging. If the battery is
charged incorrectly, the gases produced may not be recombined back into
water as fast as they are being produced. Pressure valves will
eventually trip and the gas vented - resulting in permanent loss of
electrolyte. Allow this to continue and there will be no electrolyte
left..so one incorrect recharge *can* kill the battery.

Charging at much too high a current can lead to the internal structure
of the battery deforming. If this leads to a short between plates, the
result can be catastrophic.

Pressure relief valves are often non-resettable - they are there only to
stop the battery exploding under fault conditions. Once such
non-resettable valves have tripped*, gases will not be contained and
further recombination will not happen. Even correct charging can result
in gassing and loss of more electrolyte.

etc.

*They can do so with enough force to send the the valve cover 20 foot or
more across the room. BTDTGTTS.
--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

In article .com,
Pete C wrote:
They're probably SMPS which can be time consuming to fault find and
repair, and not always possible to get certain spare parts for.

Often the output caps, a TV repair shop should be able to check and
replace them.

Could be but not exclusively.

If DIYing remember to put new ones in the right way round

And equally important make sure they are low ESR ones.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Pete C wrote:
They're probably SMPS which can be time consuming to fault find and
repair, and not always possible to get certain spare parts for.

Often the output caps, a TV repair shop should be able to check and
replace them.
If DIYing remember to put new ones in the right way round

Is "the right way" defined as "the way they don't pop", ir is it more
technical than that?

Most electrolytics are polarised and have the negative marked. Unlike
other types of caps which aren't polarity sensitive.

Owain

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Palindrome wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cerumen wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You forget that I=Vdiff/R..drive from a low voltage and the current
reduces as the battery charges. However in theory at least, and rather
horrendously in practice sometimes, a low power supply impedance will
ultimately end up in I tending to infinity with the usual result..
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Palindrome wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cerumen wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Nope. The I decreases because the Vdiff decreases - not because R
increases. R remains constant. Even cheap chargers usually limit Imax
for high VDiff - too many people connect chargers to car batteries with
the 6v12v slide switch set incorrectly. Things have moved on from
selenium rectifiers and moving iron meters..

However, the basic point is that "cheap and cheerful" car battery
chargers should not be used with batteries of the type normally fitted
to mobility scooters. It certainly can end up with things heading
towards infinity - such as bits of the battery.

--
Sue

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Jun 27, 8:45 am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
Hi,

I have two 8Amp battery chargers that I use on my mobility scooters that
need repairing.

Do you know someone or a company who can repair them please.

Each battery charger new is about £145 and I don't really fancy binning
them.

--
the_constructor

Hi,

One of these should do if you can change the battery connector over:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?
ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=48447&doy=28m6#spec

Poss a bit cheaper on Ebay.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Jun 28, 1:54 pm, Pete C wrote:
Hi,

One of these should do if you can change the battery connector over:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?
ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=48447&doy=28m6#spec

Poss a bit cheaper on Ebay.

cheers,
Pete.

Or try he

http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/smart-...ttery-charger-
p-3097.html

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Jun 28, 2:18 pm, Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I knew that :-)

But if you put it in the wrong way round does it just pop or would
something else bad happen? I.e. would trial and error with one spare
capacitor suffice?

Be sure to plug the uncased supply into a hard-to-reach socket just
before putting it down on your lap...

Not usually a pop, more 'this power supply will self destruct in FIVE
seconds' c.f. James Bond.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

Owain wrote:
Pete C wrote:

But if you put it in the wrong way round does it just pop or would
something else bad happen?

Be sure to plug the uncased supply into a hard-to-reach socket just
before putting it down on your lap...
Not usually a pop, more 'this power supply will self destruct in FIVE
seconds' c.f. James Bond.

The last time I played with electrolytics and a 9v battery they swelled
and elongated gently until finally squeezing some fluid out in a little
dribble.

Life is full of disappointments..

Electrolytics have weakened fracture lines in the top now - in the past
it was entirely possible for the case to detach and literally rocket off
the board..especially with valve equipment using high voltage capacitors.

A 9v battery will have a fairly high internal impedance and won't be
able to dump a lot of energy very quickly into a faulty component. Hence
the result of a fault will be a little tame.

Similarly, a well-designed switch mode power supply will sense that an
overload is present and shutdown - before a lot of energy has been
transferred from the mains side of the hf transformer. There are mains
side capacitors that can fail fairly dramatically.

However, for real excitement, try a UPS... A lot of 12v lead acid
batteries in series, a lot of stored energy, a very low source
impedance. It can sometimes be difficult to actually *find* the capacitor..

--
Sue
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Vann wrote in news:5efum9F391aghU1
@mid.individual.net:

Warning! Thread Hijack (Well, this is Usenet ))

What is the best way of storing these scooter batteries?

An uncle recently died and left a mobility scooter. The family want to
keep it in case my aunt needs it in future. I think I'm right in saying
that car batteries shouldn't be allowed to go flat? so I told them to
charge them periodically (they have 2) but how often?

Alan

Since no-one has answered, I'll have a go.

At worst it will bring an expert in to tell me I'm a plonker and give you
more info!!

Lifted from:
http://www.discountscooters.co.uk/battery.html

Battery Storage
Store batteries fully charged. Check once a month and recharge as needed.
Wet batteries can hold their charge up to three months, selaed models six
to twelve months. Remember if storing your chair for longer than a few
weeks, it's best to charge the batteries and then disconnect them.

There was an excellent faq under the name of Darden, but it's disappeared
from my links, which give a 404 error - maybe someone can help

mike
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 06:00:24 -0700, Pete C
wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:54 pm, Pete C wrote:
Hi,

One of these should do if you can change the battery connector over:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?
ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=48447&doy=28m6#spec

Poss a bit cheaper on Ebay.

cheers,
Pete.

Or try he

http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/smart-...ttery-charger-
p-3097.html

cheers,
Pete.

Thats the Maplin one but £11 cheaper. Doesn't supprise me

http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/smart-charge-battery-charger-p-3097.html

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.disability

wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:54 pm, Pete C wrote:

Hi,

One of these should do if you can change the battery connector over:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?
ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=48447&doy=28m6#spec

Poss a bit cheaper on Ebay.

cheers,
Pete.

Or try he

http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/smart-...ttery-charger-
p-3097.html

cheers,
Pete.

Thats the Maplin one but £11 cheaper. Doesn't supprise me

http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/smart-charge-battery-charger-p-3097.html

Thanks for the link, Pete and "F". I hadn't come across this company
before. They seem to ahve some good kit at a reasonable price.

--
Sue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote in
:

There was an excellent faq under the name of Darden, but it's
disappeared from my links, which give a 404 error - maybe someone can
help

mike

Further to that

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

mike

Battery Charger Repair ? Palindrome UK diy 0 June 27th 07 09:28 AM
Battery Charger Repair ? George UK diy 0 June 27th 07 09:02 AM
NiCad Battery Charger repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 May 9th 07 05:25 AM
Battery charger/starter repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 January 15th 06 04:38 AM
need to repair battery charger RB Electronics Repair 4 December 10th 04 06:41 PM