Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default OSB for interior wall covering

On Mar 31, 2:04*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

"Robert Olin" wrote in message

... I'm building a well house/shop. *In a living space you have to cover the
walls with something like sheetrock for fire code, however, in a shop
would just osb be ok?

Thanks,
RO

Depends on how fast you want it to burn if you have a fire......
Seriously, if you do have a fire, the additional time the gypsum board will
give could make the difference between just the losing stuff inside, and
losing the structure itself. *Another thing to think about, for a shop as
opposed to a garage, is to ensure you have two points of egress at opposite
ends so you can't get trapped inside by a fire. *ABC extinguishers near both
doors as well.

I've pondering the same thing. *I built a garage with living space
above it. *Code says you have to have 5/8 sheet rock on the garage
ceiling but is silent about what you do with the walls. *I'd really
like to have something besides sheetrock because it's so fragile for a
garage or shop wall. *At the same time I don't want to spend a fortune
either. *Osb is about the right price.- Hide quoted text -

I added alt.home.repair cause this thread was not getting any traction
over in alt.building.construction. The op and I both would like to
cover some walls with something besides sheetrock. He's got a
workshop and I've got a garage ground floor with living space above
it. I'm pretty certain code only requires me to have 5/8" sheetrock
on the ceiling.

The trouble with the walls is that sheetrock is not a very good choice
for a garage or workshop. Any suggestions for a cheap alternative?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:

The trouble with the walls is that sheetrock is not a very good choice
for a garage or workshop. Any suggestions for a cheap alternative?

I'd certainly not use OSB, etc., but construction ply or shelving boards
or similar is a great wall material in a shop -- for hanging stuff on,
nails/screws can go anywhere, etc. Paint can brighten it up for light
or can leave it natural as suits...

As for the fire hazard, it's not any worse than a paneled room or
similar. You'll want to check local Code, of course, as applicable.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

I don't think you're going to get much traction over here, either.

What does your building inspector say?

Ours allowed us to OSB the interior walls in my husband's shop BECAUSE
IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO A DWELLING. (Sorry for shouting; I wanted
to emphasize that.)

If the space is attached to a dwelling, it needs some sort of fire-
rated stuff
between the garage and the living space--on every side where they
abut.
Drywall is the usual thing.

You can OSB over the drywall, I believe. Do what your inspector
recommends,
unless you live where they don't have code enforcement.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

That's my understanding as well.

You can OSB over the drywall, I believe. *Do what your inspector
recommends,
unless you live where they don't have code enforcement.

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

I built a workshop last summer and used OSB for the interior walls. I
was looking for a tough wall covering that wouldn't show dings, which
drywall and plywood does. I covered the joints with 1/4" strips of
2x4". I bought a bundle of these strips at Lowes, which made for fast
covering. The only issue that I ran into was when I painted the OSB.
I put three coats on and I have two spots where a chip of wood has
peeled loose a little.

Robin

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I understand the firecode requirements. My situation is a garage
with the living space above it. I plan on putting up 5/8" on the
garage ceiling. The code calls for that. The garage walls are
exterior walls. I'm going to insulate but I'n not heating/cooling the
garage. I'd just like to find some cheap alternatives for the garage
walls. My past experiences with garages that get used for more than
parking vehicles is that drywall gets beat up rather easily.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48 am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

How about 4' x 8' formica paneling?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I added alt.home.repair cause this thread was not getting any traction
over in alt.building.construction. *The op and I both would like to
cover some walls with something besides sheetrock. *He's got a
workshop and I've got a garage ground floor with living space above
it. *I'm pretty certain code only requires me to have 5/8" sheetrock
on the ceiling.

The trouble with the walls is that sheetrock is not a very good choice
for a garage or workshop. *Any suggestions for a cheap alternative?

I had a garage with T1-11 and OSB sheathig for the interior ceiling
and walls. Apparently one of my 8 foot fixtures had a balast go bad.
The fire was spectacular, to say the least.

The new garage is metal sided and the part that's workshop has drywall
walls and ceiling, with the fixtures hung rather than screwed directly
against the ceiling. I'd not go with OSB directly in a workshop,
especially because it's a workshop (I do welding, not just
woodworking), although OSB under the drywall might stiffen it enough
to make up.

Henry
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 05:51:21 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Mar 31, 2:04Â*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:48Â*am, "v8z" wrote:

"Robert Olin" wrote in message

... I'm building a well house/shop. Â*In a living space you have to cover the
walls with something like sheetrock for fire code, however, in a shop
would just osb be ok?

Thanks,
RO

Depends on how fast you want it to burn if you have a fire......
Seriously, if you do have a fire, the additional time the gypsum board will
give could make the difference between just the losing stuff inside, and
losing the structure itself. Â*Another thing to think about, for a shop as
opposed to a garage, is to ensure you have two points of egress at opposite
ends so you can't get trapped inside by a fire. Â*ABC extinguishers near both
doors as well.

I've pondering the same thing. Â*I built a garage with living space
above it. Â*Code says you have to have 5/8 sheet rock on the garage
ceiling but is silent about what you do with the walls. Â*I'd really
like to have something besides sheetrock because it's so fragile for a
garage or shop wall. Â*At the same time I don't want to spend a fortune
either. Â*Osb is about the right price.- Hide quoted text -

I added alt.home.repair cause this thread was not getting any traction
over in alt.building.construction. The op and I both would like to
cover some walls with something besides sheetrock. He's got a
workshop and I've got a garage ground floor with living space above
it. I'm pretty certain code only requires me to have 5/8" sheetrock
on the ceiling.

The trouble with the walls is that sheetrock is not a very good choice
for a garage or workshop. Any suggestions for a cheap alternative?

It's not cheap, but how about the fiberglass faced "drywall".

It's tough, moisture resistant, and fire rated. It paints pretty
well too. Not like a plaster wall - but plenty adequate for a shop
or garage.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:58:25 -0700 (PDT), rlz wrote:

On Apr 1, 8:28Â*am, wrote:

On Mar 30, 9:48Â*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

over in alt.building.construction. Â*The op and I both would like to
cover some walls with something besides sheetrock. Â*He's got a
workshop and I've got a garage ground floor with living space above
it. Â*I'm pretty certain code only requires me to have 5/8" sheetrock
on the ceiling.

The trouble with the walls is that sheetrock is not a very good choice
for a garage or workshop. Â*Any suggestions for a cheap alternative?

I don't think you're going to get much traction over here, either.

What does your building inspector say?

Ours allowed us to OSB the interior walls in my husband's shop BECAUSE
IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO A DWELLING. Â*(Sorry for shouting; I wanted
to emphasize that.)

If the space is attached to a dwelling, it needs some sort of fire-
rated stuff
between the garage and the living space--on every side where they
abut.
Drywall is the usual thing.

That's my understanding as well.

You can OSB over the drywall, I believe. Â*Do what your inspector
recommends,
unless you live where they don't have code enforcement.

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

I built a workshop last summer and used OSB for the interior walls. I
was looking for a tough wall covering that wouldn't show dings, which
drywall and plywood does. I covered the joints with 1/4" strips of
2x4". I bought a bundle of these strips at Lowes, which made for fast
covering. The only issue that I ran into was when I painted the OSB.
I put three coats on and I have two spots where a chip of wood has
peeled loose a little.

Robin

You forgot to but the mandatory 2 coats of glue on the surface
before painting BG

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Niner" wrote in message
[...]

OSB is a very bad choice for the walls for a number of reasons , most of
which have already been said but I will add my 2 cents worth...Besides being
a very bad fire hazard it looks like crap and painting it makes it look even
worse..I would use drywall and 4X8 sheets of white peg board over it where
you wanted to hang stuff or plywood UNDER the drywall on walls deemed for
hanging stuff..HTH...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

So you are able to completely fire stop the ceiling separate from the
walls
through the entire wall cavity, so that what is above is separate from
what
is below?

Sounds like you are shelling out a lot of money to seal up all the
edges
around the perimeter walls (which are still BELOW a dwelling and
connect
to the walls and structure being supported above) to "save" buying a
few more
sheets of 5/8" fire code sheetrock to line the inside of the
"compartment" where
you are going to be using a workshop...

~ Evan
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Apr 1, 9:51*pm, "benick" wrote:

OSB is a very bad choice for the walls for a number of reasons , most of
which have already been said but I will add my 2 cents worth...Besides being
a very bad fire hazard ........

Why is it any more fire hazard than wood paneling over wood studs as
found in millions of homes???

KC
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:10:38 -0700 (PDT), KC
wrote:

On Apr 1, 9:51Â*pm, "benick" wrote:

OSB is a very bad choice for the walls for a number of reasons , most of
which have already been said but I will add my 2 cents worth...Besides being
a very bad fire hazard ........

Why is it any more fire hazard than wood paneling over wood studs as
found in millions of homes???

KC

Because the OSB fibers stick out all over after a few months - larger
surface area per cubic foot of combustible.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

KC wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:51 pm, "benick" wrote:

OSB is a very bad choice for the walls for a number of reasons , most of
which have already been said but I will add my 2 cents worth...Besides being
a very bad fire hazard ........

Why is it any more fire hazard than wood paneling over wood studs as
found in millions of homes???

KC

Not saying you are wrong, because I saw plenty of interior walls
finished that way in new construction, back when the thin wood panels
were in fashion. They tell me fire code in some areas requires drywall
under them, but I have never seen that in person, other than on retrofits.

I'm old fashioned- when I hit lotto and build my dream house, interior
walls will be stone or T&G in some wood that stays pretty.

Is modern OSB even human-rated for use uncovered in living space/heated
envelope? I know some of the early stuff had problems with outgassing.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"KC" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 9:51 pm, "benick" wrote:

OSB is a very bad choice for the walls for a number of reasons , most of
which have already been said but I will add my 2 cents worth...Besides
being
a very bad fire hazard ........

Why is it any more fire hazard than wood paneling over wood studs as
found in millions of homes???

KC

Ther is just a SLIGHT difference between a GARAGE/ WORKSHOP where
combustables are stored and worked with among other work related activities
and your den...Just sayin'...LOL..

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
KC wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:51 pm, "benick" wrote:

[...]

Around here drywall is "normally" under the paneling or bead board..Even way
back when , most of the time drywall was put under it..If you didn't you
would fall through the wall if you leaned on it using that cheap thin
crap...LOL...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
KC wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:51 pm, "benick" wrote:

[...]

I think we are talking apples and oranges- the stuff I saw go up as a
kid was actual multi-ply wood product, not glorified masonite with
ultra-thin veneer of real wood, or the printed-on fake woodgrain. It was
3/16 or 1/4 thick, plenty strong for a finish wall. I don't know if
they even make what I would consider real wood paneling (in sheet form)
any more. All the stuff at the Borg seems to be sawdust-based. And
anybody that can afford to buy real wood probably prefers T&G.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:27:50 -0400, "benick" wrote:

"KC" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 9:51 pm, "benick" wrote:

OSB is a very bad choice for the walls for a number of reasons , most of
which have already been said but I will add my 2 cents worth...Besides
being
a very bad fire hazard ........

Why is it any more fire hazard than wood paneling over wood studs as
found in millions of homes???

AIUI, the glue will burn quite well if heated. Wood really doesn't burn all
that well up until it gets really hot.

Ther is just a SLIGHT difference between a GARAGE/ WORKSHOP where
combustables are stored and worked with among other work related activities
and your den...Just sayin'...LOL..

The garage isn't where you typically live, either. ;-)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

I'm not trying to save. I'm trying to find something hardier than
drywall that is not more expensive than the drywall. Drywall is
pretty cheap as wall coverings go.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

You are looking for something that fulfills the fire separation
between the habitable and non habitable compartments on
either side of the wall...

UL fire code 5/8" sheet rock satisfies that requirement -- does
the OSB you are pondering have a UL rating for that purpose ???

As for what you put OVER the sheetrock inside the garage to
protect it -- that is something up to you depending on what
your local AHJ has to say, but you can not substitute
a fire separation rated wall board with something that is not...

~ Evan
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

OSB is more expensive than drywall, so I doubt you're going to be successful.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

Read the entire thread before you post. I'm fine with wallboard where
I need a fire break. I have a lot of exterior walls in the garage and
I'm trying to find an alternative that is stronger than wallboard.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:48*am, "v8z" wrote:

[...]

OSB is more expensive than drywall, so I doubt you're going to be successful.- Hide quoted text -

Around here it's fairly equal. They are both around 6-7 bucks a
sheet. I'd like to stay in the under 10 a sheet price range..