Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default OSB for interior wall covering

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 07:58:25 -0700 (PDT), rlz wrote:

On Apr 1, 8:28Â*am, wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:15Â*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Apr 1, 8:51Â*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Mar 31, 2:04Â*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Mar 30, 9:48Â*am, "v8z" wrote:

"Robert Olin" wrote in message

... I'm building a well house/shop. Â*In a living space you have to cover the
walls with something like sheetrock for fire code, however, in a shop
would just osb be ok?

Thanks,
RO

Depends on how fast you want it to burn if you have a fire......
Seriously, if you do have a fire, the additional time the gypsum board will
give could make the difference between just the losing stuff inside, and
losing the structure itself. Â*Another thing to think about, for a shop as
opposed to a garage, is to ensure you have two points of egress at opposite
ends so you can't get trapped inside by a fire. Â*ABC extinguishers near both
doors as well.

I've pondering the same thing. Â*I built a garage with living space
above it. Â*Code says you have to have 5/8 sheet rock on the garage
ceiling but is silent about what you do with the walls. Â*I'd really
like to have something besides sheetrock because it's so fragile for a
garage or shop wall. Â*At the same time I don't want to spend a fortune
either. Â*Osb is about the right price.- Hide quoted text -

I added alt.home.repair cause this thread was not getting any traction
over in alt.building.construction. Â*The op and I both would like to
cover some walls with something besides sheetrock. Â*He's got a
workshop and I've got a garage ground floor with living space above
it. Â*I'm pretty certain code only requires me to have 5/8" sheetrock
on the ceiling.

The trouble with the walls is that sheetrock is not a very good choice
for a garage or workshop. Â*Any suggestions for a cheap alternative?

I don't think you're going to get much traction over here, either.

What does your building inspector say?

Ours allowed us to OSB the interior walls in my husband's shop BECAUSE
IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO A DWELLING. Â*(Sorry for shouting; I wanted
to emphasize that.)

If the space is attached to a dwelling, it needs some sort of fire-
rated stuff
between the garage and the living space--on every side where they
abut.
Drywall is the usual thing.

That's my understanding as well.

You can OSB over the drywall, I believe. Â*Do what your inspector
recommends,
unless you live where they don't have code enforcement.

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

I built a workshop last summer and used OSB for the interior walls. I
was looking for a tough wall covering that wouldn't show dings, which
drywall and plywood does. I covered the joints with 1/4" strips of
2x4". I bought a bundle of these strips at Lowes, which made for fast
covering. The only issue that I ran into was when I painted the OSB.
I put three coats on and I have two spots where a chip of wood has
peeled loose a little.

Robin

You forgot to but the mandatory 2 coats of glue on the surface
before painting BG