Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frazee Paint

In mid-southern California, Nevada, northern Mexico and Arizona,
there is a "local" brand of paint: the Frazee brand. I grew up
using Sherwin Williams, Cooks, P&L, Dutch Boy and the other
big-name paints and shied away from the "local" stuff.

We had our home interior repainted in 2004, and the contractor
used Frazee paint instead of the Sherwin Williams I had wanted.
It's a long story, but it came out all right. Because of some
mobility problems in the family, a family member uses a walker to
get about inside the house. There is quite a bit of banging into
corners, rubbing on walls, hands on walls for stability, cutting
corners in doorways etc., and that causes me to touch up the nicks
and dings every year and we also find it's necessary to scrub the
"hand-on-wall-for-stability" paths each year or even semiannually.
What I found is that the Frazee paint holds up as well or better
than any paint I've used in the past.

Today, I made the rounds with my 2" brush and a bit of paint in a
baggie for touch up. This included gloss areas in baths and the
kitchen, semi gloss on hallway walls and flat in rooms. I have
pretty good eyes and I swear I can't find the areas I touched up.
IMHO, that points very well to stability of the paint and its
holding the color well. There are some hallways where the 2004
paint job has been washed over ten times to remove the hand
tracks, and while it's beginning to show its age, I could roll a
3' wide track down the hallway walls, feather the edges and you'd
never know it had been spot repainted. Incredible.

To me, the acid test was a steel door between a hallway and
garage. On the garage side, the door had accumulated many marks
from coming and going, plus the walker, plus the grandkids. I
washed it well with 409, then gave it a very light sanding to take
out any little bumps. I spotted in the dark rub marks and let it
dry for a half hour, then simply painted the door, pulling instead
of rolling. I swear the door looks new. Again, that's a darn
good paint IMHO. For anyone in the SW part of the country, I
heartily recommend Frazee Paint.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:51:15 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 3/27/2010 10:48 AM Nonny spake thus:

In mid-southern California, Nevada, northern Mexico and Arizona,
there is a "local" brand of paint: the Frazee brand. I grew up
using Sherwin Williams, Cooks, P&L, Dutch Boy and the other
big-name paints and shied away from the "local" stuff.

[snip story & recommendation]

I've seen Frazee paint stores up here in the S.F. Beige Area too.

"Frazee paint" is a CA based company( or was ). In NV, I still don't
use this paint...just me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2010 10:48 AM Nonny spake thus:

In mid-southern California, Nevada, northern Mexico and Arizona,
there is a "local" brand of paint: the Frazee brand. I grew up
using Sherwin Williams, Cooks, P&L, Dutch Boy and the other
big-name paints and shied away from the "local" stuff.

[snip story & recommendation]

I've seen Frazee paint stores up here in the S.F. Beige Area too.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nonny wrote:
In mid-southern California, Nevada, northern Mexico and Arizona, there
is a "local" brand of paint: the Frazee brand. I grew up using Sherwin
Williams, Cooks, P&L, Dutch Boy and the other big-name paints and shied
away from the "local" stuff.

We had our home interior repainted in 2004, and the contractor used
Frazee paint ... What I found is that the Frazee paint holds up as
well or better than any paint I've used in the past.

My experience has been that local small paint manufacturers in various
locations I've been have had products that performed very well as well.
Don't know the one above, and it's been 30 years since was there so
don't know if they still exist but in Lynchburg, VA, the J T Davis Co
made very fine products when we were there under several of their own
brands as well as some manufacturing for some of the "name" brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

don't know if they still exist but in Lynchburg, VA, the J T Davis Co...

Well, got curious enough to look and indeed they are...

http://www.jamestdavis.com/davispaint.html

No detail on their early corporate history; it appears that current
ownership has passed from the Davis family that it was when were there
and they've expanded by buying a couple of other outfits; one in MN and
another in OK on the industrial side primarily while the paint
manufacturing in Lynchburg is still concentrated regionally...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

don't know if they still exist but in Lynchburg, VA, the J T
Davis Co...

Well, got curious enough to look and indeed they are...

http://www.jamestdavis.com/davispaint.html

No detail on their early corporate history; it appears that
current ownership has passed from the Davis family that it was
when were there and they've expanded by buying a couple of other
outfits; one in MN and another in OK on the industrial side
primarily while the paint manufacturing in Lynchburg is still
concentrated regionally...

Having lived in NC for many years, I know the name well and used
it on the interior of my house on occasions. I looked at their
site and do not see any dealers in MO. While I'm retired, I
"think" I remember a Davis Paint dealer in my home town of
Marshall MO. I may be wrong on that, but I'd bet a quarter or so
that there was a Davis Paint store in Marshall. My FIL owned a
lumber yard there and sold Cook's paint. In fact, he also was a
distributor of it to several other stores in central MO. When my
wife and I built our home in Fort Wayne IN, he shipped us a
partial pallet of all the paint we needed to do the interior and
exterior. It was an unusual and very handy gift.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member
of Congress.... But then I repeat myself.'

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Nonny wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

don't know if they still exist but in Lynchburg, VA, the J T Davis Co...

Well, got curious enough to look and indeed they are...

http://www.jamestdavis.com/davispaint.html

Having lived in NC for many years, I know the name well and used it on
the interior of my house on occasions. I looked at their site and do
not see any dealers in MO. While I'm retired, I "think" I remember a
Davis Paint dealer in my home town of Marshall MO. I may be wrong on
that, but I'd bet a quarter or so that there was a Davis Paint store in
Marshall. My FIL owned a lumber yard there and sold Cook's paint. In
fact, he also was a distributor of it to several other stores in central
MO. When my wife and I built our home in Fort Wayne IN, he shipped us a
partial pallet of all the paint we needed to do the interior and
exterior. It was an unusual and very handy gift.

Couldn't say; it's certainly possible they had some distribution further
west at some point...we were in the Oak Ridge, TN, area after
Lynchburg and afaik there was never any outlet for them in E TN,
somewhat surprisingly I thought.

I have fond affinity for the name as as a young pup out of school when
got to Lynchburg got interested in w-working owing to the abundance of
cheap quality hardwoods that had never had access to being from SW KS.
First shop was in basement of the Davis Paint retail store in downtown
Lynchburg in conjunction w/ another fellow who had started making the
decorating plaques as a sidelight while going to school and selling them
thru the store. Mr Davis saw an opportunity and set him up a shop and I
met him answering an ad for his initial small shaper and jointer he was
selling as he tooled up for production and we hit it off.

Fond memories of ages gone by...

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"dpb" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

[...]

Speaking of ages gone by, does anyone recall any information about a paint
company called Rinsead-Mason (not quite sure about the spelling of the first
word). It was primarily an industrial paint company supplying the automobile
repair services. My father used it exclusively in his auto body shop in the
'50s.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

EXT wrote:

Speaking of ages gone by, does anyone recall any information about a
paint company called Rinsead-Mason (not quite sure about the spelling of
the first word). It was primarily an industrial paint company supplying
the automobile repair services. My father used it exclusively in his
auto body shop in the '50s.

Rinshed-Mason (Detroit)

Now goes as RM Paint and has been part of BASF for some time (20/30
years or more it seems??? -- anyways, it's been awhile.)

Well let's see what mr g can find--ok, yeah, here...

http://www.rmpaint.com/en_UK/about_us/history.xml