Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Frazee Paint

"dpb" wrote in message
Nonny wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

don't know if they still exist but in Lynchburg, VA, the J T Davis
Co...

Well, got curious enough to look and indeed they are...

http://www.jamestdavis.com/davispaint.html

Having lived in NC for many years, I know the name well and used it on
the interior of my house on occasions. I looked at their site and do not
see any dealers in MO. While I'm retired, I "think" I remember a Davis
Paint dealer in my home town of Marshall MO. I may be wrong on that, but
I'd bet a quarter or so that there was a Davis Paint store in Marshall.
My FIL owned a lumber yard there and sold Cook's paint. In fact, he also
was a distributor of it to several other stores in central MO. When my
wife and I built our home in Fort Wayne IN, he shipped us a partial
pallet of all the paint we needed to do the interior and exterior. It
was an unusual and very handy gift.

Couldn't say; it's certainly possible they had some distribution further
west at some point...we were in the Oak Ridge, TN, area after Lynchburg
and afaik there was never any outlet for them in E TN, somewhat
surprisingly I thought.

I have fond affinity for the name as as a young pup out of school when got
to Lynchburg got interested in w-working owing to the abundance of cheap
quality hardwoods that had never had access to being from SW KS. First
shop was in basement of the Davis Paint retail store in downtown Lynchburg
in conjunction w/ another fellow who had started making the decorating
plaques as a sidelight while going to school and selling them thru the
store. Mr Davis saw an opportunity and set him up a shop and I met him
answering an ad for his initial small shaper and jointer he was selling as
he tooled up for production and we hit it off.

Fond memories of ages gone by...

--

Speaking of ages gone by, does anyone recall any information about a paint
company called Rinsead-Mason (not quite sure about the spelling of the first