Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thin rubbing compound?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:02:25 -0600, Puddin' Man
wrote:

I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to
clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on
cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

Thx,

I've used two colors of rubbing compound. The red/orange color is more
abrasive. Use a white color compound that has the car polish wax in
it. Less abrasive, thinner and easier to apply.

Yes both can be thinned with a bit of water. Use a restaurant type
plastic bottle (ketchup / mustard). Spray bottles won't work.

Think: the plastic honey bottle for the mixture and squirt in on and
buff it out. Water will no cause any problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 11:02*pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to
clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on
cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

* Thx,
* P

Use water, the red may be to rough, white might be better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to
clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on
cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

Yes like others said, add water. But you don't want to use rubbing
compound, it's too abrasive. Use Polishing Compound instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote the following:
I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to
clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on
cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

Thx,

The milder kind is called Polishing Compound.
For a real mild abrasive, get a bottle of Scratch Remover.
Both available at auto stores.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

Puddin' Man wrote the following:
I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to
clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on
cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

water.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thx,

The milder kind is called Polishing Compound.
For a real mild abrasive, get a bottle of Scratch Remover.
Both available at auto stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got a very old can of Turtle Wax rubbing compound.

Re-painted some scratches on the car. Need to use rubbing compound to
clean up overspray, etc.

Rubbing compound looks too thick (it's like paste wax) for buffer on
cordless drill.

Can I thin it? With what??

Thx,

Add a little water. I would not use it on a car finish. See if a rag
dampened with kerosene will take it off before trying anything
abrasive--it could save you a lot of grief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad weather kept me from doing the work sooner.

Thanks for numerous replies.

I tackled it a little today and found ... thatcha really need better
equipment (good power buffer) than I have. I very rarely need to do
this kind of work.

Thx,