Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rubbing Stones Question

I just got through patching the cracked, chipped junction of a
tread/riser of my mom's cement stoop. I used Quikrete mason mix and
their adhesive compound, and I did as good a job as I could in this
hard-to-maintain (slushy) area. The salesman at HD said not to buy a
masonry bit or any kind of drill-based sanding pad but to use a rubbing
stone.

It was $11, and before I use it, I want to ask if sanding cement with
adhesive in it by hand is something a woman who doesn't work in the
construction trade can reasonably do. I don't like to waste money
'cause we don't have money to waste.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

You can do almost the same thing with a brick or broken cement
block for limited work. I would not buy the rubbing stone for
what you contemplate. Stop at any construction site, smile nice,
and tell them what you are doing and that you want a broken brick
or cement block. I suspect they will be quite generous.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got through patching the cracked, chipped junction of a
tread/riser of my mom's cement stoop. I used Quikrete mason mix
and
their adhesive compound, and I did as good a job as I could in
this
hard-to-maintain (slushy) area. The salesman at HD said not to
buy a
masonry bit or any kind of drill-based sanding pad but to use a
rubbing
stone.

It was $11, and before I use it, I want to ask if sanding cement
with
adhesive in it by hand is something a woman who doesn't work in
the
construction trade can reasonably do. I don't like to waste
money
'cause we don't have money to waste.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

I want to ask if sanding cement with
adhesive in it by hand is something a woman who doesn't work in the
construction trade can reasonably do.

A matter of brute force.

Start as soon as the mix sets. It is quite soft for the first half a day
or so.

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Replacement mortar question Paul Home Repair 8 December 2nd 03 01:18 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM