lhfreak

Default Q about rubbing alcohol & wood

Hey!

I hope this is a good place to ask this Q.

I just had a minor invasion of ants in and around my kitchen sink, and
I was spraying them with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the bunch. Some
of the alcohol got on the wood cabinets and trim around the sink and
are now stained white. Is there a way to fix this easily?

Thanks in advance!

SonomaProducts.com

It "may" fix itself as the moisture from the alcohol evaporates. You
can try rubbing it lightly with mineral oil to try and replace the
moisture with the oil.

Guess who

On 15 Aug 2005 19:51:20 -0700, "lhfreak" wrote:

I just had a minor invasion of ants in and around my kitchen sink

You might do well to deal with this problem first. If they are black
with upright spurs in the middle of their back, they are likely
carpenter ants, and you are much more likely to find them there than
the little brown ones. You'll need a borax solution that they will
think is food and take back to their nest, which can be some distance
outside, perhaps in a rotting or older tree; a few drops of solution
over several days. Look for entry points and plug them either with
screening or plug solid.

My father had built a deck that had 12x12 posts in the corners. After
he passed on I had to rebuild it, due to age and wear. In the
process, I pushed a crowbar right through one of the posts riddled by
ants. Don't get too excited though unless you see them repeatedly.

nospambob

Some use peanut butter to remove the blush, it's hygroscopic. Look
around at www.refinishwizard.com for other removal stuff.

On 15 Aug 2005 22:56:14 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

It "may" fix itself as the moisture from the alcohol evaporates. You
can try rubbing it lightly with mineral oil to try and replace the
moisture with the oil.

Baron

Amazingly, more of the same. Dampen a clean cloth with 100% alcohol.
The alcohol should be absolutely dry, not rubbing alcohol and nothing less
than 200 proof. You cab use 100% methanol but it evaporates much more
quickly than ethanol so you will have to be fast. The cloth should be as
wet as a dog's nose. CAREFULLY swipe the cloth over the blushed area one
time. Sort of like an airplane doing a touch and go landing-takeoff. Don't
press hard. The blush will disappear. You may need to do a second
"approach". This has worked much better for me than putting various oil
based liquids on the surface.

Good Luck.

"lhfreak" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey!

I hope this is a good place to ask this Q.

I just had a minor invasion of ants in and around my kitchen sink, and
I was spraying them with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the bunch. Some
of the alcohol got on the wood cabinets and trim around the sink and
are now stained white. Is there a way to fix this easily?

Thanks in advance!

lhfreak

Thanks all for the response! The peanut butter worked
perfectly....amazing!

Thanks again!

Phisherman

On 15 Aug 2005 19:51:20 -0700, "lhfreak" wrote:

Hey!

I hope this is a good place to ask this Q.

I just had a minor invasion of ants in and around my kitchen sink, and
I was spraying them with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the bunch. Some
of the alcohol got on the wood cabinets and trim around the sink and
are now stained white. Is there a way to fix this easily?

Thanks in advance!

Rub with a dab of mayonnaise and soft cloth.