Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceramic tile sizes

silly question time :-) Are 12" ceramic tiles actually 12" on each side -
or are they slightly smaller (maybe 11-3/4" or 11-7/8"?) to account for a
mortar gap?

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:
silly question time :-) Are 12" ceramic tiles actually 12" on each
side - or are they slightly smaller (maybe 11-3/4" or 11-7/8"?) to
account for a mortar gap?

cheers

Jules

they're smaller, except when they're not, and each line/style may be smaller
by a different amount. the gap is user settable; there is no standard except
for what looks good to the installer/customer.

iow: you have to look at a specific tile. in some cases, they won't even all
be the same size even if they're from the same lot (satillo mexican tiles
come to mind).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

silly question time :-) Are 12" ceramic tiles actually 12" on each side -
or are they slightly smaller (maybe 11-3/4" or 11-7/8"?) to account for a
mortar gap?

cheers

Jules

That certainly was NOT a silly question...This may be a silly answer
though but I'll try... I have ceramic tiles in my kitchen that are 13 inches
square...I also have different type of ceramic in my bathrooms that are 15
and 1/2 inches square... When my wife and I went shopping for ceramic tiles
they came in all kinds of dimensions depending on brand name , design etc...
another example of this is ceramic bathroom tile... I have tiles about 6 and
3/8 inches square lining the shower stall.... My point is I think it differs
from brand to brand weather you will get the dimensions....factor in your
wife to choose style and color and you may as well throw your tape measure
out the window and nod and say 'yes dear"... hope I was of some help....Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:18:23 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

silly question time :-) Are 12" ceramic tiles actually 12" on each side -
or are they slightly smaller (maybe 11-3/4" or 11-7/8"?) to account for a
mortar gap?

Grout gap. No, yes, maybe. They can be any size and likely won't be the same
from batch to batch. The tile box should have a size and shade code printed
on it. *ALWAYS* buy all from the same batch (same codes). Buy extras in case
you screw up. It's really nice to have a half box left over for later
"oopses". You'll *never* match them later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

silly question time :-) Are 12" ceramic tiles actually 12" on each side -
or are they slightly smaller (maybe 11-3/4" or 11-7/8"?) to account for a
mortar gap?

cheers

Jules

Not all tile is square. There is sometimes a "marking" stamp on the
back of the tile. Always set the tile with the stamp in the same
orientation. Stack a few tiles on each other and you may find that
there is a small difference and you can't get the stack to line/square
up.

The wrong orientation of the tile stamp will cause the grout line to
drift off across the room, so pay attention.