Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default ceramic tile sizes

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

silly question time :-) Are 12" ceramic tiles actually 12" on each side -
or are they slightly smaller (maybe 11-3/4" or 11-7/8"?) to account for a
mortar gap?

cheers

Jules

That certainly was NOT a silly question...This may be a silly answer
though but I'll try... I have ceramic tiles in my kitchen that are 13 inches
square...I also have different type of ceramic in my bathrooms that are 15
and 1/2 inches square... When my wife and I went shopping for ceramic tiles
they came in all kinds of dimensions depending on brand name , design etc...
another example of this is ceramic bathroom tile... I have tiles about 6 and
3/8 inches square lining the shower stall.... My point is I think it differs
from brand to brand weather you will get the dimensions....factor in your
wife to choose style and color and you may as well throw your tape measure
out the window and nod and say 'yes dear"... hope I was of some help....Jim