Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing bathroom vent fan in drop ceiling

I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the fan.

*You're right that it would be difficult to replace a tile after the fan is
installed. The last time that I installed a Panasonic fan in a drop ceiling
I did make it flush with the finished ceiling. To replace the tile one
would have to cut a new one into two and slide the pieces in from each side.
I suppose if the fan was set in a corner of the tile a whole piece could
slide in. If the fan is up too high it is difficult to get the fan trim on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the fan.

You're on the right track. Look at inline ventilation fans. You put the
fan/motor assembly somewhere out of the way and run flexduct to the inlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 9:43*am, Mike Paulsen wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the fan.

You're on the right track. Look at inline ventilation fans. You put the
fan/motor assembly somewhere out of the way and run flexduct to the inlet..

There's no way I can put the motor in the attic out of the way.
I like the option of putting the fan in the corner of the ceiling, or
at the end of a ceiling grid. You could still remove the tile if you
had to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the fan.

You're on the right track. Look at inline ventilation fans. You put the
fan/motor assembly somewhere out of the way and run flexduct to the inlet.

There's no way I can put the motor in the attic out of the way.
I like the option of putting the fan in the corner of the ceiling, or
at the end of a ceiling grid. You could still remove the tile if you
had to.

It doesn't have to be in the attic. Some look just like a standard fan
housing, except they have duct connections for both the inlet and
outlet. It will fit in the joist space in the bathroom.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FV-1.../dp/B000EDOHBQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the fan.

You're on the right track. Look at inline ventilation fans. You put the
fan/motor assembly somewhere out of the way and run flexduct to the inlet.

There's no way I can put the motor in the attic out of the way.
*I like the option of putting the fan in the corner of the ceiling, or
at the end of a ceiling grid. You could still remove the tile if you
had to.

Putting the fan in a location where it will be LESS
effective at venting the moisture out of the bathroom
will only be a large contributing factor to the premature
failure and mold growth on your suspended ceiling tiles...

Install it in the area it needs to be installed in, centered in
that ceiling tile... If you ever need to replace it you will have
to remove the cover on the fan housing and partially
disassemble it to move it out of the way to replace the tile
it is located in...

This is a fact of life with suspended ceilings, it happens all
the time in commercial buildings with various items that
penetrate the ceiling tiles... If you think that replacing a
tile that has a ceiling fan installed in it in your bathroom
at home is a big deal, then you have never seen things
like having to replace tiles with a fire sprinkler head in them
which requires a round hole cut in just the right place
which is large enough for the pipe to fit and still small
enough for the sprinkler head trim ring to hide the hole...

Or having to call out a licensed fire alarm tech to
move a smoke detector out of your way while you
replace the ceiling tile it is mounted in...

You can see for yourself where building management
employs skilled people to do this, as you WILL NOT
find tiles cut into halfsies to be fitted around some
penetration unless it is a non-removable part of the
building structure...

Oh, and in most commercial buildings you are
working on these ceiling tiles at 10' to 14' above the
floor...

~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I have installed several bathroom vent fans in sheetrock
ceiling, but
soon I will be doing one with a drop ceiling.
My question is does the fan still sit flush with the bottom of
the
ceiling tile, or does is sit a couple inches above the tile in
case
you had to change the tile if it got damaged, wet, etc? I would
think
if you made it sit flush with the bottom, there's no way to
remove the
tile, other than going through another tile and take apart the
fan.

Consider installing a divider in the panel and placing the fan in
a 2X2 tile and a separate 2X2 in the other space. That'd let you
get to the fan to loosen it in the unlikely event the small tile
was damaged. In fact, you might consider using a metal,
perforated, tile for that 2X2 area so that it wouldn't be
vulnerable to water damage. That'd take away almost all the
concern.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.