PVR

Default Drop ceiling.

Assuming 2ft square tiles what is the smallest distance from the joists the
ceiling can be suspended? I want to maintain as much ceiling height as
possible.

Peter.

Steven T King

"PVR" wrote in message
Assuming 2ft square tiles what is the smallest distance from the joists
the ceiling can be suspended? I want to maintain as much ceiling height as
possible.

Peter.

home depot has a system with no"drop" at all. Top half of the frame attaches
right to the joists and the bottom half "snaps" into the top, sandwiching
your tiles in. I Installed this in my basement for the same reason - didnt
lose more than 2" of height. Uses standard ceiling tiles, and you dont have
to worry about leveling all of the central framework since it mounts
directly to the joists.

The down side is that to get a tile (or say a flourescent light) in the
middle, you pretty much have to start at one end and remove several tiles to
get to the desired space.

I dont recall the cost compared to standard systems. But it didnt seem
extreem at the time.

STK

Doug Miller

In article , "PVR" wrote:
Assuming 2ft square tiles what is the smallest distance from the joists the
ceiling can be suspended? I want to maintain as much ceiling height as
possible.

If you have less than an inch or inch and a half between the bottom of the
joists and the top of the rails, installing the tiles gets _real_awkward_ .

Less than two inches, and installing the support wires gets awkward too.

What kind of light fixtures are you planning to use? Can lights can go up
between the joists, and thus don't impose any height limitations on the rails.
Troffers, on the other hand, will need about four inches between the bottom of
the joists and the bottom of the rails.

The more clearance you can leave between the joists and the grid, the easier
it is to install.

--
Regards,

Scot

Just got finished doing one of these installs with the 2x2s myself.
Definately agree that at least 2 to 3 inches is desirable. There were some
spots that were an inch or so, and like Doug says, it was awkward - a real
pain to get some tiles into place.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...

.