Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY foam insulation

I will soon be embarking on a project to gut my above-garage bedroom,
and by the time I'm ready to put it all back together again will have
to reinsulate. It's cathedral ceiling, which I'm guessing is
currently insulated with fiberglass. I'll be re-roofing and adding a
couple of dormers as part of the project.

I really like the look of the spray on foam and suspect it would be
the best R rating which is pretty important here in MN. Before I
speak to any contractors, has anyone out there tried a DIY foam
insulation? Tiger Foam is the most prominent on the internet. It
seems expensive, but I bet hiring a pro would be too. I also have
visions of getting into a big mess with DIY.... Interested to hear of
any experiences anyone here has had. From what I can see of the Tiger
product, it's only really meant for the first inch, but combined with
fiberglass that could be good enough. I really like the idea of the
air and vapor seal it should provide.

TIA
Cub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:

I used a Tiger Foam kit to insulate my rim joist before finishing my
basement.

I used the same kit to improve a distant bath underfloor insulation - our
experience was uncannily similar. I was working in a crawlspace with very little
room to maneuver - lugging those cans around was not easy.

Make sure you wear a disposable boiler suit, gloves, a cap and eye protection.
The stuff is next to impossible to remove from skin & hair. The temps are
critical - I was careful and I still ended up towards the end with a volume/mix
difference with one can running low slightly before the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 6:02*pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

I have seen unvented cathedral roofs shingles cook and fail in 5-6
years, you need an airspace from bottom to top ridge vent, probably a
second layer of sheeting just below the sheets that lay on the joists,
the foam vent chutes you staple on under the roof deck might work if
the foam doesnt compress them. Find out what is recommended and works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:02 pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

It's a great place for steel roofing. Most likely last a lifetime, even
if you are young.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:02 pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

How about the walls of an already constructed house? I hear they can do
blown in by lifting the siding and drilling holes. How about spray foam?
Good coverage?

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 7:02*pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

For a large area I would call in a pro. I did a camper it it cost me
$300. BTW one advantage of spray in foam that most people dont think
about is that it adds a lot of structural integrity to a frame
building. In my opinion this alone is worth the extra cost.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:02 pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

Yes they do. I've also seen a few pictures of the blown in stuff
settled 3 or 4 feet after a few years.

How about spray foam?
Good coverage?

Spray foam is great if the inside or outside wall is not yet there.
Otherwise it could easily blow your walls apart as it expands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 6:02*pm, cubby wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for responding. Some great advice there. I've decided
to call in the pro's for this one. Will also look to add in some
ventilation. Pretty sure there isn't any at the moment (there are
certainly no soffit or ridge vents - but I will put them in now). I
like the idea of the foam for rims - I have a few areas of my basement
where I'm sure there either is no insulation on the or if there is,
it's probably fallen away. The Tiger foam seems ideal for a small
project like that.

Thanks again all.

Cubby