Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default [off topic] Glow in the dark alarm clock

Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Esco" wrote in message
s-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Argos £2.50

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Glow in the dark alarm clock

On Mar 23, 9:22*am, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:22:37 GMT, Esco wrote:

Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read
in the dark?

Quick look in the Tesco Direct catalog (it just happened to be the
nearest) page 444 at least 3 of the 4 across the top of the page have
luminous hands. The LH one looks to have luminous figures as well.
The RH one dots for the hours.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:

"Esco" wrote in message
s-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Argos £2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 2:22*pm, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the
dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.

Robert

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

RobertL :
On Mar 23, 2:22*pm, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the
dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.

I've come to the same conclusion. The paint often *looks* like the
proper luminous stuff, but it isn't. The clock I bought recently has
some kind of fluorescent paint that glows green for a short while after
the light goes out, but not long enough to be of much use.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:57:02 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

The clock I bought recently has some kind of fluorescent paint that
glows green for a short while after the light goes out, but not long
enough to be of much use.

The non-radioactive paints need "charging up" with decent light, kept
in room with the curtains closed or only brief artifical light source
they are dim. The best way to charge up these paints is with a UV
light source, say a bank note light or one for making the invisible
security pens visible.

There are still radio active glow in the dark things in the market.
Mostly emergency signs and the like, they use tritium IIRC rather
than radium.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 3:57*pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
RobertL :

On Mar 23, 2:22*pm, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the
dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.

I've come to the same conclusion. The paint often *looks* like the
proper luminous stuff, but it isn't. The clock I bought recently has
some kind of fluorescent paint that glows green for a short while after
the light goes out, but not long enough to be of much use.

--
Mike Barnes

The term is phosphorescent. Bit here on the topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phospho...orescent_paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 3/23/2010 12:36 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:57:02 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

The clock I bought recently has some kind of fluorescent paint that
glows green for a short while after the light goes out, but not long
enough to be of much use.

The non-radioactive paints need "charging up" with decent light, kept
in room with the curtains closed or only brief artifical light source
they are dim. The best way to charge up these paints is with a UV
light source, say a bank note light or one for making the invisible
security pens visible.

There are still radio active glow in the dark things in the market.
Mostly emergency signs and the like, they use tritium IIRC rather
than radium.

There are alarm clocks with tritium dials. Did not google far but they
look pricey:

http://www.gemday.com/item0817.htm

Beta particles from nuclear decay are harmless.

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 23, 9:22 am, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

I've got one of those. I tried every room in the house before I found
somewhere the numbers would show up! Very accurate though...

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 3:39*pm, RobertL wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:22*pm, Esco wrote:

Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the
dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.

Robert

you might still find an old one, but then you get to put up with
clockwork's inaccuracy and need for incessant winding.

NT
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 1:27*pm, "spamlet" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Mar 23, 9:22 am, Esco wrote:

Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

I've got one of those. *I tried every room in the house before I found
somewhere the numbers would show up! *Very accurate though...

To stay lit permanently would run down the battery too quickly, so
that's why you have to push to get it to light.
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 3:31*pm, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:

"Esco" wrote in message
ds-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Argos £2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

Don't... just don't.

NT
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

In article , Frank wrote:
[...]

Not completely. Bad if source is ingested, bad if source is inhaled in
form of anything that sticks in lungs or is absorbed into the body from
lungs. OK if in a closed container and low energy, as is the case with
tritium.

--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 3/23/2010 8:13 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:
In , Frank wrote:
[...]

Yes but unlikely and does not compare to the old radium dials that
caused cancer to the women painting them on.
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be
read in the dark?

When all else fails, use the Harbor Freight free flashlight...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

In , Frank wrote:

[...]

That probably wouldn't have happened as much is the ladies weren't in
the habit of "pointing" the brushes with their lips.

(Or so I've read.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

In , Frank wrote:

[...]

The `Radium Girls` were instructed to, assured Radium was harmless

http://www.radford.edu/wkovarik/envhist/radium.html

It killed its discoverer Marie Curie and continues to present a hazard
all over the place, Forth coastline, Scotland, has radioactive
hotspots from burning scrapped aircraft dials on the shore.

Tritium is very good, but expensive.

Zinc Sulphide is the dissapointing old glow in dark stuff.

Strontium Aluminate is much, much more effective, non radioactive,
glows for easy 8 hours , intially brighter than tritium.

Photoluminescent is the phrase if you want it by the litre, its used
as way to safety markers on things like oil rigs, smaller bits , any
number of vendors like

photoluminescent

personally had good luck with poundland clocks, get the brushes while
your in ;-)

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 2:22*pm, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

I don't know about that but we have an alarm clock that displays the
time in red on the ceiling of our bedroom. it's not bright enough to
disturb our sleep but it's great if you wake in the night and want to
know what timwe it is.

See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scien...ref=pd_cp_ce_1

Regards

Jonathan

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.equipment,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

In , Frank wrote:
[...]

Yes, my grandfathers old watch...
I found it very useful when I built a Maplin geiger
counter kit ~20 years ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 2:22*pm, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the
dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.

Robert

you might still find an old one, but then you get to put up with
clockwork's inaccuracy and need for incessant winding.

and you have to put up with the released radon-222 gas! Part of
the safety advice (below link) is not to keep it on your bedside
table.

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/luminous.htm

Robert

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 11:48*pm, NT wrote:
On Mar 23, 3:31*pm, Bernard Peek wrote:

On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:

"Esco" wrote in message
ds-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Argos £2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

Don't... just don't.

Why ever not? They work, I have one. Clearly you can't say the same
about everything at poundland but if Argos can sell 'em for £2.50 then
£1 is probably about the right price.

MBQ
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 2:55*pm, ransley wrote:
On Mar 23, 9:22*am, Esco wrote:

Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

Battery != digital.

Just get an anlog one with luminous hands.

MBQ
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

ransley wrote:
On Mar 23, 9:22 am, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

I am surprised that there is nothing like this available. It shouldn't
be that hard or that expensive to design something that has a small
photovoltaic cell to charge a small battery during the day, even from
ambient light, and then dimly light a set of LEDs when dark using a
low-power circuit to generate a low mark/space ratio driver to conserve
power.

Not done the sums though so I could be way out.

Andrew

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message

Battery != digital.

There are very few battery clocks that don't use a crystal and a *digital*
divider to keep the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 8:46�am, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:55:05 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
On Mar 23, 9:22�am, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

By the end of this century they claim you will be able to have a
cellphone implanted in your head where you can get calls, go online,
get the time, weather reports, play games, listen to music, and
probably watch movies. �It will be controlled by your thoughts, so if
you want the time, just think about a clock. �The problem I see with
this is how to shut the damn thing off when you're trying to sleep, or
want Microsoft or Google to stop reading your mind.

n]mar.22

As well as all of the above, the gov. will be able to read your ind
and control you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mar 23, 9:22�am, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

Ive seen them but you have to push a button to make them light, post
back if you find one that just stays lit, I just got a Weather
thermometer with clock at HD, but again its dark till you push the
button but it has an RF set clock so it never needs setting.

By the end of this century they claim you will be able to have a
cellphone implanted in your head where you can get calls, go online,
get the time, weather reports, play games, listen to music, and
probably watch movies. �It will be controlled by your thoughts, so if
you want the time, just think about a clock. �The problem I see with
this is how to shut the damn thing off when you're trying to sleep, or
want Microsoft or Google to stop reading your mind.

n]mar.22

As well as all that, the gov. will be able to read your mind through
it, control you and know exactly where you are at all times.
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 2:40*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

Battery != digital.

There are very few battery clocks that don't use a crystal and a *digital*
divider to keep the time.

There are some, but that's not really relevant, other than Dennis
trying to twist the argument for his own ends, again.

The terms analog and digital, in refererence to clocks, usually refer
to the display. I don't give a **** what technology is used to keep
the time so long as it meets my needs for accuracy.

MBQ
Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Mar 24, 2:40*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in

ps.com...

Battery != digital.

There are very few battery clocks that don't use a crystal and a *digital*
divider to keep the time.

There are some, but that's not really relevant, other than Dennis
trying to twist the argument for his own ends, again.

The terms analog and digital, in refererence to clocks, usually refer
to the display. I don't give a **** what technology is used to keep
the time so long as it meets my needs for accuracy.

I have a radio clock which projects on the bedroom ceiling

works for me

and don't forget that clocks change this weekend

--
geoff

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

As well as all that, the gov. will be able to read your mind through
it, control you and know exactly where you are at all times.

Shiny side out, harry!

Jon

Posted to uk.telecom,sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:

"Esco" wrote in message
s-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be
read in
the dark?

Argos £2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

ROTFLMAO

TDD
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:11:13 UTC, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:

"Esco" wrote in message
s-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be
read in
the dark?

Argos œ2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

Dave Saville wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:11:13 UTC, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:
"Esco" wrote in message
s-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be
read in
the dark?
Argos œ2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)

And these stores are stocked with items from which former colony?

TDD
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

wrote:

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)

And these stores are stocked with items from which former colony?

I'm not aware that China (or at least the vast majority of it) was ever
a British colony.

Where else did you think all that cheap tat comes from?

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:22 pm, Esco wrote:
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be read in
the dark?

they don't use radioactive luminous paint any more, so 'glow in the
dark' watches and clocks are a thing of the past.

Not entirely. Some time ago (perhaps now 10 years) I wanted such a
watch. I went through a number (agreeing with the supplier they'd come
back to him if they were not really "luminous") till I tried a Sekonda.
The hands were luminescent but *the dial was properly luminous*. So I
wrote to Sekonda, asking how they managed this and whether they could
source luminous hands. They could and did; I could not have had better
service. When years later it broke they fixed it FOC, and told me that
they had also replaced the battery as a courtesy.

I thought their slogan was a joke, but it's been absolutely right IME:
"Beware expensive imitations".

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On Mar 25, 11:12*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-
wrote:
Dave Saville wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:11:13 UTC, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:
"Esco" wrote in message
winds-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be
read in
the dark?
Argos œ2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)

And these stores are stocked with items from which former colony?

*
*
USA of course! Also known as New China as they now own you.
Pound stores are the only ones that are increasing. Everything else
is closing. Even the charity shops are closing, they can't get enough
stock.
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

Dave Saville :
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:11:13 UTC, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/10 14:35, TMC wrote:

"Esco" wrote in message
s-media.com...
Where can I get a battery alarm clock which has hands that can be
read in
the dark?

Argos Å“2.50

Extravagant! I'd check Poundland first.

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)

The best one I've seen lately was boasting "Everything from a pound!".
Methinks they Just Don't Get It.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

"harry" wrote in message

And these stores are stocked with items from which former
colony?

*
*
USA of course! Also known as New China as they now own you.
Pound stores are the only ones that are increasing. Everything
else
is closing. Even the charity shops are closing, they can't get
enough
stock.

I have a relative that is upper middle management of a global
electronics manufacturing company. One of their main plants is in
the USA and is quite busy and profitable. The big electronics
devices they manufacture are in high demand AND one of their
biggest locations where they ship is mainland China. Imagine
that: a USA-based manufacturing plant shipping electronics to
China.grin

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain
..

Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

Andrew May wrote:
wrote:

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)

And these stores are stocked with items from which former colony?

I'm not aware that China (or at least the vast majority of it) was ever
a British colony.

Where else did you think all that cheap tat comes from?

Hong Kong and India perhaps?

TDD

[off topic] Glow in the dark alarm clock Esco UK diy 46 March 27th 10 08:00 AM
Glow-in-Dark? CWLee Home Repair 28 November 14th 07 06:31 PM
OT- Glow in The Dark Sandblasting Sand? Howard Eisenhauer Metalworking 16 May 3rd 06 02:06 AM
Glow in the Dark Affiliate Forums Woodturning 11 December 15th 05 06:30 PM
Glow-in-dark glue [email protected] Woodworking 2 November 3rd 05 04:19 PM