Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Still more on Prius runaway

On Mar 20, 10:21*am, Harry K wrote:
On Mar 20, 5:50*am, wrote:

On Mar 20, 8:35*am, wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:56:09 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 19, 2:33*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:17:40 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 19, 7:36*am, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:15:05 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 19, 3:43*am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:25:29 -0400, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:24:06 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Mar 18, 5:25*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:20:08 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
On Mar 18, 7:41*am, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:36:05 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:

Really OT but on subject of press 'buying into stories'. *Balloon Boy
is a fine example. *They bought the story of the kid being in there
and that went on for hours and hours. *Not once, not nobody, even
mentioned that had the kid been in there he was dead.. *You cannot
breath a helium atmosphere and live.

I don't recall that anyone ever reported that he was inside the helium
filled envelope. There was a small "box" on the underside.

Only one of the kids at the beginning, daddy and mommy a couple
times. *The original 911 call was 'kid in the baloon'

No, there was no 'box' attached. *There was one unconfirmed report
that someone had "seen" one but Daddy never confirmed nor denied that
there was one. *There was also the report that someone had seen the
kid fall out of the thing. *Also uncofirmed and proven false.

At the end, when they found the baloon, therewas no "box" attached.

Harry K

The balloon, complete with box was shown repeatedly on television. It
was never alleged by anybody that the kid was in the envelope. He had
supposedly been yelled at previously for playing inside the box under
the balloon.

Oh, look!

http://images.smh.com.au/2009/10/16/...boy-presser-42...

...and here's a picture of the balloon as it landed, with the box
still attached to the bottom:

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2...411x.jpg-Hideq...

Better look again. *That is not a "box", it is part of the balloon.
News reports all day were full of "in" the baloon and you must have
missed the shots of the cops frantically slashing at it looking for
the kid.

The "box" report was of someone sayting the saw a 'box' or 'car'
_suspended_ from the baloon.

Harry K

It is a box, and if you look around I'm pretty sure you can find
photos or video showing it in detail with the door open and closed. It
was intended for cameras and weather instruments, not human
passengers. It was big enough for a small kid to get inside..

Right. That's why the thing looked like a mushroom. *The stem was the
box. * There's not a lot of point to building a balloon that won't
carry a payload. *If that's all you want, you can buy one fully made
at the supermarket.

The cops slashed the balloon because the wind was catching it and they
wanted to make sure it stayed right where it was.

Oh, yeah. *That was why. * The balloon wasn't empty, it still had
helium, almost enough to fly since until a littel while earlier it was
flying, so letting out the helium kept the wind from taking it away.- Hide quoted text -

Try again. *STandard instrumentation on such baloons is suspended
_below_ it, not _in_ it.

I listened to the entire thing and the 'box discussion was proven
invalid. IIANM it was even mentioned in summaries at the end of the
'action"

It is amazing how people can get two different 'facts' from the same
show, one wrong, one right and I am on the right side.

Even the construction of your 'box' shows it wasn't. *Clearly covered
with the same stuff as the baloon and thus too flimsy to hold
_anything_ heavier than a few pounds and that would ahve to be spread
out.

Harry K

Oh, damn! Looks like you are COMPLETELY WRONG!

http://fwnextweb1.fortwayne.com/ns/e...ent/uploads/20...

The box was described after the fact as being made of very lightweight
panels taped together that would not have been strong enough to hold
the boy while airborne. It was in fact, intended to carry instruments
that did not weigh very much.

No one knew any of this, or even the size and carrying capacity of the
balloon itself until after the fact. Pretty hard to judge the size of
it when it was a tiny dot in the sky with nothing next to it for
comparison. All they had to go on was what was reported BY THE FAMILY,
who said they thought the booy was in the balloon and had somehow
launched himself. That is the sum total of what was known until much
later.

When the balloon first landed and the boy was not in the box, it was
feared that he had fallen out.

Hindsight, 20/20, etc...- Hide quoted text -

Here, I did your work for you:

"Authorities began to fear the worst after reports surfaced that a box
possibly carrying Falcon may have fallen off the balloon.

A Weld County Sheriff's deputy had said he saw an object fall off the
balloon somewhere over Platteville, Colorado, which is in the search
area. There was no box attached when the balloon landed at 1:35 p..m"

Source

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/15/col...oon/index.html

As I pointed out before. *The report of a box attached was
unconfirmed, daddy did not say yea or nay and there was no box when it
landed.

As for them slashing at it to deflate it - try again. *It was already
on the ground and wasn't going anywhere. *It was a wild attack trying
to find the kid INSIDE the baloon.

I watched the whole thing almost from the beginning and the report of
the kid perhaps being in a 'box' was already discounted long before
the thing landed.

The baloon was constructed to resemble a flying saucer and was a
pretty good immitation of one in an early Sci Fi film.

Harry K

I have alreadey posted several links to photographs clearly showing
the box under the envelope, and even a pictuer with the door to the
box hanging open.- Hide quoted text -

we can trade cites back and forth all day and aren't going to convince
anyone. *The difference is that I know I am right because I listened
to it as it happened. *You appear to be monday morning quarterbacking.

I watched it on live TV, dopey. And I don't have to convince "anyone",
because you are the only dunderhead here who doesn't know that the
thing hanging UNDER the balLoon is a place for small cargo.

I watched it on live TV too as it happened. * And from everything that
I heard it was never assumed that the boy was inside the helium filled
balloon itself. * There was plenty of discussion about a box beneath
the balloon, even reports that some people had seen something fall off
the balloon and the possibility that was the box seperating.
Without knowing the exact contruction of the balloon and given the
stories being told by the parents and the other children, I don't
think it would have been reasonable for anyone to conclude the story
was bogus because the boy couldn't be breathing helium.

I couldn't bring up your first cite - on dial-up and it wouldn't
load. *

That is not anyone's problem but yours.

Second one didn't show anything attached or any door.

No, that thing on the bottom is not a 'box'.

Harry K

I don't generally call people trolls, but you are either a troll or
mentally damaged. Those are the only optionsd left.

See ya!- Hide quoted text -

Well, then you are stuck with why they were frantically searching for
him inside it at the end.

What would you do? Just walk away and not take the extra 5 minutes to
look everywhere? How would anyone at the scene know exactly how the
balloon was or was not constructed. I could make a balloon that
looks round, like a single compartment, and in fact have a divider in
it with the helium in the upper part and a separate section at the
bottom with air that a child could fit into. The live videos of the
balloon that I saw wouldn't lead me to believe it was impossible for a
boy to be in the bottom of it. In fact, it looked like there could
be a space at the bottom for a boy. I see a trend here. Just like
in the cases of all the runaway Toyotas, you are quick to jump to
conclusions and just close the book without all the facts or a
complete investigation. If not, I don't see why you would expect
rescue workers to do anything other than do a complete search of the
balloon.

I sure would like to see a cite (I can't find one) on what the
searchers had (or have) to say on the subject.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In the video, as the balloon takes off and the father thinks the boy is
in the balloon, he kick something in anger.
That's when I doubted his story. Your kid could be in a life threatening
situation and you get mad?

I sure would like to see a cite (I can't find one) on what the
searchers had (or have) to say on the subject.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683