Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint can tip

Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

Much easier to cut a strip of aluminum foil and cover the rim with it,
at least on the pouring side and wide enough to catch the little bit
that runs down the side of the can. Make sure to pour from the side
opposite where the color formula is written (or copy it onto the lid, too).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 11:55*pm, "
wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. *This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. *Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. *Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. *You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

Much easier to cut a strip of aluminum foil and cover the rim with it,
at least on the pouring side and wide enough to catch the little bit
that runs down the side of the can. *Make sure to pour from the side
opposite where the color formula is written (or copy it onto the lid, too).

Have seen a plastic pourng lip that snaps on side of the can!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2010 8:57 PM, Steve B wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

I'd be concerned that if you don't use all the paint and store remainder
in can that having penetrated the can coating it would be more subject
to corrosion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen people use a dry paint brush to soak up the paint
that remains in the rim.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Much easier to cut a strip of aluminum foil and cover the
rim with it,
at least on the pouring side and wide enough to catch the
little bit
that runs down the side of the can. Make sure to pour from
the side
opposite where the color formula is written (or copy it onto
the lid, too).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:57*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. *This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. *Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. *Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. *You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

Great Idea.

I've been doing that with a finishing nail for years.

I also make sure I clean the recess, usually with a paper towel before
I put the lid on.

Another tip:

If your wife is anything like mine, buy her a set of brushes and hide
yours.

When I'm done cleaning mine you can eat with them.

A day after she cleans her's, you could hit a home run with one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:57 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

My hubby isn't allowed to paint, or do anything else that needs to LOOK
good....if he ever owned a paint brush, it is probably fossilized in a
can of dried up paint somewhere ) When our condo was painted white,
the contractor wasn't paid to paint the green trim. The house numbers
are second story, about two feet high. I don't climb ladders, but I did
that day with a can of paint in my hand and my eyes closed...wasn't
going to risk hubby splattering green paint on the newly painted wall
and incurring the wrath of a snarky condo board. I deserved a medal,
but haven't gotten it yet )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 7:59*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 16, 8:57*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

It's the same in our house, only the genders are reversed.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:57*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Yup. The day SWMBO gets on a ladder Obama won't need a teleprompter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and
punch about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into.
This keeps the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip
through the holes into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8"
wide so the paint will flow freely. Still a mess any way you go, but
a little better that way. You can use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Alternative:

Saw a guy from Home Depot showing painting tips on one of the morning shows.
He summed up by using a Home Depot plastic bag to put over the can before
replacing the lid. "Makes an air-tight seal" he said. 'Course he claimed
that only Home Depot plastic bags would work, that those from Home Depot's
competitors would grow mold and attract armadillos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:57:52 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

Even though no one ask, I finally got some attention. Wait till I show
this to my ex-wife. She will think I'm a real hero.
Thanks for the support guys and gals.
Now I can go back to asking dumb questions and wasting your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 3/16/2010 8:57 PM, Steve B wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This
keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will
flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You
can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

I'd be concerned that if you don't use all the paint and store remainder
in can that having penetrated the can coating it would be more subject to
corrosion.

It is under the seal.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote:

Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

I can remember reading that tip years ago.
Punched "drip holes" in the rim every time I'd paint.

Then I found that all my stored paints were dried up.

The holes can prevent the lid from forming an airtight seal
when you put the lid back on.

I stopped punching "drain holes"..... stored paint GOOD !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:28:06 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 3/16/2010 8:57 PM, Steve B wrote:
Whenever I open up a gallon paint can, I take a drywall screw and punch
about a dozen holes in the recess of the lip the lid goes into. This keeps
the depression from filling with paint, as it will drip through the holes
into the can. Punch them so they are about 1/8" wide so the paint will flow
freely. Still a mess any way you go, but a little better that way. You can
use it on smaller cans as well.

Yer welcome.

Steve

I'd be concerned that if you don't use all the paint and store remainder
in can that having penetrated the can coating it would be more subject
to corrosion.

I have had this happen. Ruined a 3/4 full can of white paint due to
the rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:33:19 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

It is also painted

Then don't do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Mar 16, 8:57 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

DITTO...I have the exact same routine..Nobody but me touches my
Purdy's...LOL...I have been using a nail for YEARS as well...Never had a can
dry up...