Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default Painting Question- sheetrock walls that were covered with wallpaper

Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much painting of
sheetrock
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 11:12*am, Red Green wrote:
KOS wrote in news:dfe05cd3-b640-46e2-92f0-
:

Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) *that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much *painting of
sheetrock

Make sure you have rinsed to death the wall of wallpaper adhesive. Patch
the spots with joint compound if not too too deep. Smooth. Prime the entire
wall. You can get the primer tinted to the final color (or fraction of it
lile 3/4). If you insist on not priming the entire room at least prime the
patched areas or in certain light you will have dull spots where the patch
is.

One spot of glue left on the wall will show after painting. No easy
way to get it _all_ off, Just scrub, scrub, scrub using one of those
nylong mesh 'scrubbies' seems to work best. I tried the commercial
'take it off' stuff but was not impressed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 10:42*am, KOS wrote:
Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) *that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much *painting of
sheetrock

A bit late now but next time rent a steamer. Not all that expensive
and will remove most papers without damage to the surface.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much painting of
sheetrock

Get the wall as clean as you can. Remove any loose or peeling paper. Let
it dry throughly. Then apply Guardz.
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=27

Once the Guardz has dried, check the wall for any remaining problem
spots and fix those, removing the bubbled paper and re-applying the
Guardz to that area. Running a blade or sanding block over the wall may
help you identify hidden bad spots. There is a marked difference in the
sound when you go over a bubble. You'll know it if you hear it.

Once you feel you have the surface problems fixed, skim with joint
compound, sand, prime and paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 9:05*pm, "benick" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) *that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much *painting of
sheetrock

Ahhh, one of the WORST things I have to do in the drywall trade..Not an
"easy" fix...It's a PITA no matter how you go about it...Most of the advice
given is pretty good but very time consuming as chasing bubbled paper takes
forever...What I do is seal the mess with Binz or Kilz..Cut out any obvious
bubbles and skim the walls with Easy Sand setting type compound..Cut out
bubbles and patch....Cut out bubbles and patch , ect. , ect......The last
time I encountered it I convinced the home owner to put 1/4 inch sheetrock
over the mess and call me back to tape it..I would have hung the rock too
but he did it to save money...HTH...Good luck , you're gonna need it...LOL..

I removed the bathroom wallpaper from hell, a few years back. The
idiots applied it directly over the sheetrock, no paint, no sizing.
Removing the wallpaper also took a lot of the paper off the
sheetrock. After patching everything back together (I should have
ripped out all the sheetrock and started over) I used Bin and then
paint. After a few days the paint crazed everywhere. I was told by
the guy at the BM paint store to *not* use shelac based primers for
this. The surface (of the primer) was too hard and would do exactly
what we saw. Instead, use a oil based primer. I sanded out most of
the cracks, applied the oil primer, painted, and all was well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in
:

"KOS" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

Although I hate using it because the cleanup is more difficult, priming
with oil based I've found to be the best. Where wallpaper previously has
been, I've found oil based stops any further bubbling of the damaged
drywall surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:42:36 -0700 (PDT), KOS
wrote:

Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much painting of
sheetrock

Thin the joint compound and do a skim coat using a large blade.
Depending on your skill, you may need to sand. Inspect the wall
carefully using a work light against the wall. Apply a drywall
primer/sealer (you do not want skip this step!), then finally paint.