Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Painting Question- sheetrock walls that were covered withwallpaper

On Mar 16, 9:05*pm, "benick" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

Hi, I am in the process of painting a room(note: these walls are
sheetrock) *that the walls were covered with wallpaper. I already
removed the wallpaper but noticed that the walls are not all smooth.
The sheetrock material is showing in some areas, in other words it is
as if the paper has been ripped -not smooth.. It feels/looks like
cardboard in some areas- you can see brown cardboard, it is not all
smooth.. This must be because I removed the wallpaper and the glue
removed the slight layer from the sheetrock.. Anyways, should I just
smooth the areas with joint compound?? then sand?
THANKS- I usually paint walls that are plaster, not much *painting of
sheetrock

Ahhh, one of the WORST things I have to do in the drywall trade..Not an
"easy" fix...It's a PITA no matter how you go about it...Most of the advice
given is pretty good but very time consuming as chasing bubbled paper takes
forever...What I do is seal the mess with Binz or Kilz..Cut out any obvious
bubbles and skim the walls with Easy Sand setting type compound..Cut out
bubbles and patch....Cut out bubbles and patch , ect. , ect......The last
time I encountered it I convinced the home owner to put 1/4 inch sheetrock
over the mess and call me back to tape it..I would have hung the rock too
but he did it to save money...HTH...Good luck , you're gonna need it...LOL..

I removed the bathroom wallpaper from hell, a few years back. The
idiots applied it directly over the sheetrock, no paint, no sizing.
Removing the wallpaper also took a lot of the paper off the
sheetrock. After patching everything back together (I should have
ripped out all the sheetrock and started over) I used Bin and then
paint. After a few days the paint crazed everywhere. I was told by
the guy at the BM paint store to *not* use shelac based primers for
this. The surface (of the primer) was too hard and would do exactly
what we saw. Instead, use a oil based primer. I sanded out most of
the cracks, applied the oil primer, painted, and all was well.