Posted to alt.home.repair

Default O.T. WebTV

Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business? I
realize that it became MSN TV but I've done a search and the only live links
are to references from 2007. I just want a firm yes or no so that I know if
I can sell my FIL's unit. It's 4 yrs old, having bought it just before he
passed on. This is the second unit that he had.
TIA, Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business? I
realize that it became MSN TV but I've done a search and the only live
links are to references from 2007. I just want a firm yes or no so that
I know if I can sell my FIL's unit. It's 4 yrs old, having bought it
just before he passed on. This is the second unit that he had.
TIA, Chuck

They must still be going. People are selling the units on Ebay and
Amazon.
Look for a thread called Run away cars. Jack is the OP using WebTv.
It's from just a few days ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yup, still in business... for now

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:43:23 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business? I
realize that it became MSN TV but I've done a search and the only live links
are to references from 2007. I just want a firm yes or no so that I know if
I can sell my FIL's unit. It's 4 yrs old, having bought it just before he
passed on. This is the second unit that he had.
TIA, Chuck

I know someone in another newsgroup who was using it up to 8/27. Make
that 11/11, 1/4, make that 3/8. But she hasn't posted since then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use webtv. I also have a Dell desktop with windows vista. I hate it!
The webtv gets me on line in a little over one minute. The computer
takes 15 minutes to do the same thing and it is very fussy (I am on
dial-up). MSN states that webtv will operate as long as there are
people using it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business? I
realize that it became MSN TV but I've done a search and the only live
links are to references from 2007. I just want a firm yes or no so that I
know if I can sell my FIL's unit. It's 4 yrs old, having bought it just
before he passed on. This is the second unit that he had.
TIA, Chuck

Thanks folks. I appreciate the quick response. Just didn't have time to
get back. Regards, Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 13, 9:43*pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a computer on RoadRunner, but still have the WebTV for the
newsgroups and EMail. The NG's are easier to use than with a computer,
and there are several that are only for WebTV AFAIK. I don't know how
much longer I will keep the WebTV though. I need to call them and see
about adjusting the monthly charge. I had an old computer on the same
MSN plan as the WebTV, which was nearly worthless. Larry BTW, I
have had WebTV for about 10-11 years, and have several extra units that
I picked up for spares here and there over the years. I doubt you could
get more than $10-15 for one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:11:12 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43*pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/

I thought it always was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:46:52 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

.. .
wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/

I thought it always was.

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

http://inventors.about.com/library/i.../bl_web_tv.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:10:36 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:46:52 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

. ..
wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/

I thought it always was.

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

Bull****. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman
created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He
created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on some
units and they were marketing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:46:52 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

m...
wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/

I thought it always was.

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

Bull****. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman
created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He
created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on some
units and they were marketing it.

Cite.

**** you.

You posted the bull****. You get to post a cite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/

I thought it always was.

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

Bull****. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman
created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He
created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on some
units and they were marketing it.

Cite.

Can't expect you to get off your lazy ass. I provided enough for you to
check, but you're either too stupid, too lazy, or too much of an asshole
to check.

http://www.google.com/#&q=steve+perlman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perlman
http://www.onlive.com/about/team/steve_perlman.html
http://www.rearden.com/people/index.html
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-0...tartup-economy
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5bc17a4-2...44feabdc0.html
http://www.springerlink.com/content/k86125973t37011h/
http://news.cnet.com/Steve-Perlmans-..._3-994204.html

If you want a cite that he was friends of my brother or that my brother
died last month then you can go **** yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AZ Nomad" wrote

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

Bull****. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman
created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He
created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on
some
units and they were marketing it.

Cite.

Can't expect you to get off your lazy ass. I provided enough for you to
check, but you're either too stupid, too lazy, or too much of an asshole
to check.

http://www.google.com/#&q=steve+perlman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perlman

Seems to be a little more involved. From
http://inventors.about.com/library/i.../bl_web_tv.htm I found

"WebTV was invented (I'd rather say that the technology was developed) in
1996 by Diba Inc and Zenith Electronics, who produced and marketed the first
WebTV sets. "

The Wikipedia site says about Perlman
"In 1995, Perlman created, co-founded, and was the President & CEO of WebTV
Networks, Inc. WebTV was introduced in 1996, and was one the earliest
products to connect the Internet to a television. Less than 2 years after it
was founded, WebTV was acquired by Microsoft Corporation for US$503
million."

While he was the creator and founder of WebTV Networks, it is unclear if he
took the technology from the Dilba/Zenith partnership to the level of use
and viability or he actually started the base technology.

Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:46:52 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

om...
wrote Re O.T. WebTV:

On Mar 13, 9:43 pm, "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

Yes.

Looks like it's now owned by MS.
http://www.webtv.net/pc/

I thought it always was.

Zenith Electronics started WebTV in '96 and M$ bought it in '97.

Bull****. A high school friend of my late brother, Steve Perlman
created WebTV and he certainly didn't sell or work for zenith. He
created it; sold the company to Microsoft. Maybe the zenith name was on some
units and they were marketing it.

Cite.

Can't expect you to get off your lazy ass. I provided enough for you to
check, but you're either too stupid, too lazy, or too much of an asshole
to check.

Me? Off my lazy ass? Are you stupid, or just a run of the mill asshole? I
gave you my citation in my post, yet you expect me to believe everything you
say because you say so.

http://www.google.com/#&q=steve+perlman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perlman
http://www.onlive.com/about/team/steve_perlman.html
http://www.rearden.com/people/index.html
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-03-0...tartup-economy
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5bc17a4-2...44feabdc0.html
http://www.springerlink.com/content/k86125973t37011h/
http://news.cnet.com/Steve-Perlmans-..._3-994204.html

If you want a cite that he was friends of my brother or that my brother
died last month then you can go **** yourself.

I guess you're both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "C & E" wrote:
Does *anybody* know for sure if this entity is still doing business?

I can attest that they are still going strong. My 95-year-old mother uses
the service, as frustrating as it seems to a normal PC user. Guess there's
something to be said for an appliance that never needs user attention.

Art