Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hall Heater Pilot fails - windy day

In LA we are having many windy days. This week, the Hallway heater pilot
turned of two days in a row during lots of wind. Heater and house is 50
years old.

I scarped the soot off the thermocouple but did not help.
Thermocouple is in the pilot flame.
Heater rood vent has a flue cap and is 12 inches above roof.

Can I test thermocouple with a DVM. What voltage when heated?

Trouble shooting hints are needed.

Thanks, Dave_s
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave_s wrote:
In LA we are having many windy days. This week, the Hallway heater pilot
turned of two days in a row during lots of wind. Heater and house is 50
years old.

I scarped the soot off the thermocouple but did not help.
Thermocouple is in the pilot flame.
Heater rood vent has a flue cap and is 12 inches above roof.

Can I test thermocouple with a DVM. What voltage when heated?

Trouble shooting hints are needed.

Thanks, Dave_s

Hi,
Another thing can you adjust pilot flame size bigger?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave_s wrote the following:
In LA we are having many windy days. This week, the Hallway heater
pilot turned of two days in a row during lots of wind. Heater and
house is 50 years old.

I scarped the soot off the thermocouple but did not help.
Thermocouple is in the pilot flame.
Heater rood vent has a flue cap and is 12 inches above roof.

Can I test thermocouple with a DVM. What voltage when heated?

Trouble shooting hints are needed.

Thanks, Dave_s

Maybe you can windproof the pilot light with some sort of barrier around it?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to try replaceing the thermocouple. In my
experience they are cheap and easy to replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 7:08*am, wrote:
* * * * You might want to try replaceing the thermocouple. *In my
experience they are cheap and easy to replace.

But is the pilot light going out because the wind blows it out, or is
the thermocouple coolking off too much due to the wind and then that
is shutting off the pilot, or is the thermocouple just plain bad??

water heater pilot rick Home Repair 13 July 23rd 07 04:55 AM
water heater pilot HankC Home Repair 8 May 18th 07 04:53 PM
Hot Water Heater Pilot Ray DeVoe Home Repair 8 September 12th 06 10:33 AM
pilot going out in water heater Jeff Home Repair 8 June 7th 05 01:01 PM