Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotting wood under bathroom tile

There's a spot in front of a shower where 3 or 4 of the tiles were
unstable. On lifting them, I found wood (probably cheap ply) that had
rotted due to leakage from the shower. The problem seems localized,
and the floor will eventually be replaced anyway. So for now, I'm just
repairing the one spot, about 12" by 6".

One problem is that the underlying wood has an uneven surface. I need
to find something that can fill in and level the surface, and of
course waterproof the area. And I presume that some coating will be
required to afford a solid base for the tile to adhere. (Again,
keeping in mind that I'll want to replace it later)

Anyone here have any experience doing this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rob wrote:
There's a spot in front of a shower where 3 or 4 of the tiles were
unstable. On lifting them, I found wood (probably cheap ply) that had
rotted due to leakage from the shower. The problem seems localized,
and the floor will eventually be replaced anyway. So for now, I'm just
repairing the one spot, about 12" by 6".

One problem is that the underlying wood has an uneven surface. I need
to find something that can fill in and level the surface, and of
course waterproof the area. And I presume that some coating will be
required to afford a solid base for the tile to adhere. (Again,
keeping in mind that I'll want to replace it later)

Anyone here have any experience doing this?

If you have access from below, prop up the mushy area with thick ply or
1x strips, supported by cleats screwed to the adjacent joists. If the
plywood subfloor is too mushy to stabilize and stiffen with epoxy, piece
in a patch of the same thickness. This work-around may fine-tune reality
long enough to buy you a few years until budget allows a proper redo of
the whole room.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:11:47 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Rob wrote:
[...]

Before I lifted the tiles I expected just that--rotted wood right over
the joists. But actually there are oak floorboards under the rotted
ply. The oak seems to be in decent condition. So basically I just
have to fill in the area where the ply has partially decomposed.
Unfortunately that's not real uniform, as the ply only rotted in some
areas. So I was thinking about pouring a layer of concrete or
something. I probably should strengthen the oak and remaining ply
fragments first though. Sorry for not explaining that well enough the
first time.

So I guess the question is whether concrete is the right thing to use,
or whether there is some other type of filler that would do it.
There's about 3/4" variation in height (from where the ply has
remained to where it's completely gone), so whatever I use will have
to fill that in and remain stable.

This work-around may fine-tune reality
long enough to buy you a few years until budget allows a proper redo of
the whole room.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. It will eventually be done by a
pro. Not looking forward to the prospect of removing that layer of
plywood though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There's a spot in front of a shower where 3 or 4 of the tiles were
unstable. On lifting them, I found wood (probably cheap ply) that had
rotted due to leakage from the shower. The problem seems localized,
and the floor will eventually be replaced anyway. So for now, I'm just
repairing the one spot, about 12" by 6".

One problem is that the underlying wood has an uneven surface. I need
to find something that can fill in and level the surface, and of
course waterproof the area. And I presume that some coating will be
required to afford a solid base for the tile to adhere. (Again,
keeping in mind that I'll want to replace it later)

Anyone here have any experience doing this?

*I had a similar problem when I redid a bathroom. I used a product from
Home Depot made by Henry. It was their Premixed Patch n' Level. It is
easily applied using regular trowels. It took longer to harden than the
directions said, but the result was a nice hard solid surface. I used my
orbital sander (50 grit) to smooth the finish the next day before it got
really hard. I then put Hardibacker board on top of that.

Some of the wood was flimsy so I pretreated it with Minwax Wood Hardener
first and let that dry for a few days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 6:53*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

I've used that stuff as well. In this case I think you could level it
with mortar too.

Before doing anything I'd point a fan at it for a couple days to get
it dried out real well. And start by soaking what's left in epoxy
thinned with a little alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:44:53 -0800 (PST), buffalobill
wrote:

with the carpenter and plumber looking for work, why not estimate the
materials and time and hire one at a price you would like to pay?
everything is negotiable, even terms on materials. you want to rip out
all the wet and damaged stuff so that the spread of the damage and
potential for mold or mildew stops too. track down the leak, it just
takes a small seepage past the shower door or curtain to cause the
damage you describe. realize that you're ready to pay a dollar a day
for a nice hot shower to yourself for the next three years, and now
your budget is $1095. (!)

Thanks for your reply.
I believe that any leaks in the shower itself are sealed now (crappy
work by the previous plumber. I had to spend a whole caulking tube of
3M marine sealer on the inside of the shower). I'm going to
completely remodel the bathroom in a year or two, and most of the
damage is to only about 1 sq ft, so I'll wait for to hire the pros
(and hope that they're better than the last 'pros'). The concern for
the moment is to keep tiles in that small area from wobbling and
breaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:53:21 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll follow up on all here.

I printed out the collected advice in this thread and went to a couple
hardware stores to find the stuff. Some helpful people in the
hardware stores as well, but of course everyone's approach differs.

One said that Patch 'n Level was great as long as you didn't have much
depth to fill, and that it would have to be layered 1/8" at a time.
Depth here is around 3/4" to make up for spots where the ply rotted
out. (P 'n L sounds great for more shallow fills, but I need to get
this done quicker.)

Another said the industrial concrete (I forget the exact name at the
moment) was the way to go because it was solid and water-resistant.

Another said concrete was good for deeper fills but would chip on the
thinner areas, and that Ready Patch would fill the depth (about 3/4")
easily and would be less likely to chip. Of course 'concrete guy' had
mentioned that Ready Patch would be susceptible to moisture.

Etc. So...roll of the dice I suppose. It sounds like there's no
perfect solution with the products at hand, unless any of that info
was wrong.

I did end up buying the Minwax wood hardener. Couldn't find an epoxy
that looked like it would thin down easily. And picked up a small
tube of grout, which I was told could be used for adhering the tile.

Obviously it's the first I've done this, though I don't shy from
manual labor. Just haven't had occasion. The info will help later
when I redo the entire floor.

Not sure which product I'll end up with for now for the main filler.
It seems like a more flexible 'plastic-y' filler would be better than
a harder but chip-prone concrete. Not sure where Ready Patch stands
in that picture, but I was told it handles deeper fills quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've popped the molding off many doors to shim the casing out (often the
finishing nails just pull through the trim). The garage door on my last house
almost fell out. The dumb *******s nailed through the brick mold into the
casing and frame. There was nothing through the hinges or striker, into the
frame, at all.

Pressure Treated Wood Rotting jamesgangnc[_3_] Home Repair 13 December 17th 09 05:35 PM
Rotting floor in bathroom metspitzer Home Repair 5 July 18th 08 10:57 PM
Rotting wood Tomyslady Home Repair 6 October 2nd 06 01:29 AM
rotting desk posts - question about the wood werwer Home Repair 11 February 27th 06 04:46 PM
rotting wood D'Olier Home Repair 3 December 16th 04 11:40 AM