Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob[_25_] Rob[_25_] is offline

Default Rotting wood under bathroom tile

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:44:53 -0800 (PST), buffalobill
wrote:

with the carpenter and plumber looking for work, why not estimate the
materials and time and hire one at a price you would like to pay?
everything is negotiable, even terms on materials. you want to rip out
all the wet and damaged stuff so that the spread of the damage and
potential for mold or mildew stops too. track down the leak, it just
takes a small seepage past the shower door or curtain to cause the
damage you describe. realize that you're ready to pay a dollar a day
for a nice hot shower to yourself for the next three years, and now
your budget is $1095. (!)

Thanks for your reply.
I believe that any leaks in the shower itself are sealed now (crappy
work by the previous plumber. I had to spend a whole caulking tube of
3M marine sealer on the inside of the shower). I'm going to
completely remodel the bathroom in a year or two, and most of the
damage is to only about 1 sq ft, so I'll wait for to hire the pros
(and hope that they're better than the last 'pros'). The concern for
the moment is to keep tiles in that small area from wobbling and
breaking.