Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - RAM bump up

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 4:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. *Computer was slow. *Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. *You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:05:07 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. *Computer was slow. *Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. *You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie

What version of 'Winders'?

Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM
to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and
consider this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie

What version of 'Winders'?

Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/

Firefox will give your cat warts. If you don't have a cat, you should be
okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

More RAM is always THE first idea for slow machines (after a malware scan)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 17:56:39 -0500, LouB wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

More RAM is always THE first idea for slow machines (after a malware scan)

Remember this quote?

"Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM. (Bill Gates, 1983)"

A certified MS instructor told me years ago - "Two things Windows
loves is more RAM and more hard drive space."

I have 2GB on Win2K and another 2GB ready for when I move to Win7
(64).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2010 2:20 PM Oren spake thus:

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider this
inexpensive easy fix.

How much RAM did you have to start with?

What version of 'Winders'?

Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/

Ya know, I really like Firefox, certainly over Internet
Exploiter/Exploder. Except for one thing: it's slower than dog**** on a
lot of things. Much slower than it should be.

I know why this is: because of the nature of distributed, open-source
software development, where lots of volunteer programmers each write a
little module here and a little module there, there's little or no
overall optimization like you'd have if it were a regular commercial
product. That's because you have module A which calls module B which
calls module C ... which calls module Z, and this happens many many
times per second. In a commercial product, a lot of these chains of
calls would be linearized so they'd execute faster.

So it's a tradeoff. I'd really love to someday see *fast* versions of
both Firefox and Thunderbird, but I'm not holding my breath.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

The other thing worth doing (and it's free) is to see how many applications
are starting up every time you turn the PC on.
They all want to use some of your RAM even though you might not need them
running every time.

Some common items are Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office. There are others.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie

reply: I went from 512 mb to 2 GB. Internet Explorer 8 right now sets 512
as "Minimum." With all the Flash and stuff, it takes a lot of memory to
just open pages. Ebay is one that changed tremendously over the years. If
you have anything else open, it is s-l-o-w! I can't believe the difference.
$60 is what it cost after $20 rebate. Takes two minutes to change.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

.com...

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

How much RAM do you have?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to
2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

More RAM is always THE first idea for slow machines (after a malware scan)

I use Comodo and AdAware. They do good.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:52:19 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

I'm sorry, this message is OFF TOPIC. This post has nothing to do
with Home Repair. You have been suspended from this newsgroup for a
period of 30 days, during which time you can not post to this
newsgroup. Any attempt to post to this newsgroup during your
suspension period, and/or if you post another off topic post following
your 30 day suspension, you will be banned from all newsgroups for a
minimum period of five years, but not to exceed twenty five years.
The ban period will be decided in a virtual court and the decision of
the judge will be posted to the alt.legal newsgroup.

Usenet System Administrator

Buhbye.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

lame joke snipped

posting from giganews. Now that's funny!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2010 5:02 PM Steve B spake thus:

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Not enough, obviously, and I meant to mention that: 768 MB, on an older
computer running at below 1 GHz. (Win 2K Pro.) So yes, I've thought
about adding more RAM, and I should. But you know what? It's a shame
that we need such humongous amounts of memory to run programs on. I'm
thinking back to my days as an assembly-language programmer on the PC,
where I could write really small programs (often less than 64K, the
limit of a .COM program--remember those?) that executed really fast.
Today's software, both OS and applications, is so ****ing bloated it's
ridiculous, so we have to resort to the brute-force approach: pile on
the RAM and get ever-faster processors (or multiple processors).

A web browser *should* be able to run fast on a computer with half a gig
of RAM. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2010 4:55 PM Charlie spake thus:

"Steve B" wrote in message

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM
to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and
consider this inexpensive easy fix.

The other thing worth doing (and it's free) is to see how many applications
are starting up every time you turn the PC on.
They all want to use some of your RAM even though you might not need them
running every time.

Some common items are Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office. There are others.

Yes. The Windoze Task Manager comes in quite handy here.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that since M$ owns the entire IE product that they optimize the
code and that it's better than Firefox? ;-)

So it's a tradeoff. I'd really love to someday see *fast* versions of
both Firefox and Thunderbird, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd like to see that too. That used to BE Firefox, but it's succumbed to
bloat over the years, too. I tried Opera but there are too many sites I
frequent where it simply doesn't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/

Ya know, I really like Firefox, certainly over Internet
Exploiter/Exploder. Except for one thing: it's slower than dog**** on a
lot of things. Much slower than it should be.

I've had FF one day. Youtube, not supporting IE6 next week (13th)
would soon give me warts.

In an hour I went through the jump-roping and now have another free
browser. Faster for me...

No warts on my cats (Darby and Wally) or my African dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 19:55:48 -0500, "Charlie"
wrote:

The other thing worth doing (and it's free) is to see how many applications
are starting up every time you turn the PC on.
They all want to use some of your RAM even though you might not need them
running every time.

Some common items are Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office. There are others.

Charlie

Thin the herd of RAM hogs. This site has been around for years...

Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and
advice on which services you can safely disable.

* Windows 7 Service Configurations ~ Updated: January 26, 2010
* Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Configurations ~ Updated: October
24, 2009
* Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Service Configurations ~ Updated:
January 26, 2010
* Windows XP x64 (64-bit) Service Pack 2 Service Configurations ~
Updated: August 6, 2009
* Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations ~
Updated: August 21, 2009
* Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Service Configurations ~ Updated:
February 26, 2009

http://www.blackviper.com/

Choose the look: defaults to black, click white on the left column
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:02:00 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to 2
GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and consider
this
inexpensive easy fix.

Steve

How much RAM did you have to start with?

Jimmie

What version of 'Winders'?

Yesterday I finally moved to Firefox, from IE6 :-/

Windows XP.

Steve

Win XP was the most dangerous OS allowed for home use. Truly meant for
corporate work. Home users did not know about open ports or firewalls.

Installed out of the box and all the service ports were open. MS would
have "done good" if they allowed the users to allow open ports at
will. XP was really meant for corporate. Meant for networking, when
the home users just needs a "locked down box".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
I use SeaMonkey configured to my own liking on a Vista Pro 64 bit with
8GB memory. Works just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2010 8:43 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

So? With that much memory I could get any browser to work well. Says
nothing.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I do many other things. DAW, Photo/web editing, programming, etc.
Box is Xeon Quad cpu based. I cound use more memory. But when I need them
I/ll add more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM
to 2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and
consider this inexpensive easy fix.

The other thing worth doing (and it's free) is to see how many
applications are starting up every time you turn the PC on.
They all want to use some of your RAM even though you might not need
them running every time.

Some common items are Adobe Reader and Microsoft Office. There are
others.

Yes. The Windoze Task Manager comes in quite handy here.

Hi,
Get rid of all the garbages piled up on the system over time. Keep the
registry clean or modifiy it to your needs. Fine tune your system for
what you mostly do with your system. 32 bit OS has max addressing for
memory at 3 GB. If needed go 64 bit or Linux.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

And every time you do finally comply, they bump it up again. A frickin
cheap laptop today has more computing power than those lunar modules.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 12:26*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

On 3/7/2010 5:02 PM Steve B spake thus:

rs.com...

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I have heard the average car (last ten yrs) has more computing power
than the Apollo Command Module did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

But you know what? It's
a shame that we need such humongous amounts of memory to run programs
on.

AMEN!
_________

I'm thinking back to my days as an assembly-language programmer
on the PC, where I could write really small programs (often less than
64K, the limit of a .COM program--remember those?) that executed
really fast.

Even *much* less than 64K. Especially if one sacrificed T-states for
compactness. The most meaningful assembly program I ever wrote was one in
the late 70s to load on demand and dynamically link subroutines to Basic
programs on 8 bit computers. It also set up a system of virtual memory. It
was only about 10KB and almost half of that was online "help".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
-snip-

And every time you do finally comply, they bump it up again. A frickin
cheap laptop today has more computing power than those lunar modules.

How about. ..
"The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone."
http://www.popsci.com/military-aviat...i-moon-landing

The actually flew some of them by hand!

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Get rid of all the garbages piled up on the system over time. Keep the
registry clean or modifiy it to your needs. Fine tune your system for
what you mostly do with your system. 32 bit OS has max addressing for
memory at 3 GB. If needed go 64 bit or Linux.

Do not EVER use a "registry cleaner." There is nothing a registry cleaner
purports to do that will improve efficiency. For example, the registry is
not searched sequentially, so whether it contains 1,000 entries or 3 million
is irrelevant. The difference to access the proper key between the two is
measured in nanoseconds.

Conversely, use of a registry cleaner can screw up a system beyond repair.
Admittedly, so can a manual modification of the registry, but in this latter
case you at least know what you did.

Next, a 32-bit system has an addressing capability of about 4 GB, not three
(2^32 = 4,294,967,296). Most operating systems snatch some of the RAM for
their internals (i.e. video buffers) so the amount of RAM usable by
application programs is in the neighborhood of 3.1-3.4 GB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 13:52:19 -0800, Steve B wrote:

I switched from IE7 to 8 recently. Computer was slow. Bumped up RAM to
2 GB, and hooey, what a difference. You might look at yours and
consider this inexpensive easy fix.

But 640KB should be enough for anyone... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I/ll add more.- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if anyone has looked into the security issues of the various
browsers. There have been many patched over the years by MSFT to IE
to fix security issues. Who, if anyone is looking at those issues
for the variety of other browsers, some of which are open source,
which you would think would make them more vulnerable. And also,
I'd wonder how well they work with anti-virus and similar protection
software. Like I'm sure Norton, McAfee, etc make sure their products
do a good job of working with and protecting you when using IE, but
how about some third tier browser?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 7, 8:21*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/7/2010 5:02 PM Steve B spake thus:

s.com...

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Only if you're running Windows :/

Seriously, I'm running Ubuntu Linux on both of my laptops (dual
booting with WinXP) and the Linux is noticeably faster.

where the peeve comes in in my case is that I decided to upgrade the
RAM in my newer laptop anyway, just for the blazing quickness, and
apparently Dell used a 32-bit Intel chipset so even though I have a 64-
bit processor and installed 64-bit Linux I can only see 3.2GB of
memory instead of the 4GB that I installed. Stupid cheap ass Dell.
Fortunately I bought the machine used and cheap otherwise I'd be
****ed, as Dell's web site indicates that the machine has a maximum
memory capacity of 4GB and they even sell a 4GB memory kit for it.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

On Mar 7, 4:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I've found Firefox 3.x to be quicker than 2.x, that is supposedly one
of the things that they workedon for the new release.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Tony Hwang wrote:
[...]

I was using Eusing Registry Fix, freeware, plus Internet Options Delete
Cookies and Files when mine would slow down. My computer geek said the same
thing you said, not to mess with the registry. Ever. So, I think my
problem was memory and not registry. Still will delete cookies and files,
tho.

Steve

Speed Bump SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 12 October 23rd 09 07:49 PM
capping chimneys (bump) mary UK diy 12 April 6th 09 09:02 PM
cheap bump proof locks? peter Home Repair 3 July 14th 07 01:48 AM
Carpet has a wave bump now? [email protected] Home Repair 13 July 1st 07 04:29 PM
bump n go robot help? trigon Electronics Repair 6 May 12th 06 05:20 AM