Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This isn't quite home repair but ......................

I recently bought a used Monkey Wards tiller. It has a 5HP Briggs &
Stratton engine and needs a new muffler.

The muffler is about 4" x 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" thick and is held on by 2
(probably 1/4") bolts.

The head also has a threaded 3/4" pipe thread, so I'm thinking that I
might have a choice of mufflers here.

The previous owner claims that the engine is a model #130202.

The 'Operating Instructions' sheet covers models 100200 100292
and 130200 130292.

I have not found quite what I'm looking for, from my searches and
would appreciate it if you have a suggestion.

TIA.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:22:49 -0800, wrote:

I recently bought a used Monkey Wards tiller. It has a 5HP Briggs &
Stratton engine and needs a new muffler.

The muffler is about 4" x 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" thick and is held on by 2
(probably 1/4") bolts.

The head also has a threaded 3/4" pipe thread, so I'm thinking that I
might have a choice of mufflers here.

Yes, probably. I know that's the case for the 10HP B+S engine in my lawn
tractor (and my wife's brother has an 8HP B+S engine on his mower and
it's the case there, although the pipe diameter is smaller)

My local farm supply place sells a generic round muffler for my 10HP
engine (I've never looked to see if they do smaller ones for smaller
engines). The threads are actually the same as the stock stuff in the
steel pipe section of the store, so I just bought a muffler and a section
of 6" pipe (I think the stuff mine needed was 1" diameter). Total cost
for both was about 7 bucks.

(The problem I had was that the threads were pretty much stripped out of
the engine block - I made up a bracket for now to support the muffler and
stop it coming off, but one day hopefully I'll find a way of welding a
proper flange to the pipe so it can be bolted to the block instead)

The previous owner claims that the engine is a model #130202.

On my engine it was stamped on the front of the metal engine cover, above
the spark plug - but someone had resprayed the engine at some point in
time with enough paint that it wasn't visible; pulling the cover off
allowed me to read the model number from the reverse side.

cheers

Jules