Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cordless drill not working

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-03-04, badgolferman wrote:

switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?

Have it repaired.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 3:25*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. *The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. *I assume the trigger switch is bad. *Any
suggestions?

Clean the contacts on the drill, a solvent like alcohol a small brush
or rag then use an eraser on the contacts, an ink pen is best as its
more course. if it doesnt help try brake or electric component cleaner
in a spray can in the switch=- Let it Dry first a long time, if you
dont have any you could pour in alcohol or something like a bit of
laquer thinner, let it dry for about 6 hours or you might have the
real meaning of Fire It Up. Or open the handle see if wires are loose
and trace it with a meter to see where power fails. If its had tons of
use check motor brushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On my Makita, there is a center position on the FORWARD/REVERSE switch.
Well, maybe it is not a position, but if you get there, the drill is
D-E-A-D. Took me a while to figger that out, but I finally did.

You might check that and any other obvious stuff.

After that, you're on your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?

Take the handle apart and jump the switch. If it runs it's the switch,
if it don't, it's probably the motor. If it's under warranty bring it
back (before) you take it apart.
Did you try all settings, reverse, low, high etc.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you really smoke Lucky's?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
LSMFT wrote in :

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

Do they still make them?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 9:37�pm, Red Green wrote:
LSMFT wrote :

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

WOW! You must be as old as I am. :-) Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco,
Am I correct?

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote :

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

WOW! You must be as old as I am. :-) Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco,
Am I correct?

Hank

I was born in the middle of the last century and both parents were
regular army during WWII, everybody smoked. GAAAK! COUGH! HUFF!
WHEEZE! You may have heard of a snot nosed kid, I was a green slime
kid. One of my generation who is allergic to the smoke from idiots.
They didn't know any better back then but people do now so there's
no excuse.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Mar 4, 9:37�pm, Red Green wrote:
LSMFT wrote
:

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

WOW! You must be as old as I am. :-) Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco,
Am I correct?

Hank

I was born in the middle of the last century and both parents were
regular army during WWII, everybody smoked. GAAAK! COUGH! HUFF!
WHEEZE! You may have heard of a snot nosed kid, I was a green slime
kid. One of my generation who is allergic to the smoke from idiots.
They didn't know any better back then but people do now so there's
no excuse.

TDD

Non smokers I will go out of my way not to infringe on. Anti-smokers are
just idiots who just like to whine to make themself feel better and think
they are better. Half the time they are just fat-****s who get loaded on
booze...but that's OK in their eyes. But they never make a stink about
the $ collected from the tax revenue it raises and is used for totally
unrelated issues.

All I did was ask if his handle was related to the acronym. You go off on
some political/social issue. Typical anti-smoker.

Oh well, in a few weeks I'll probably have to bail on newsgroups due to a
relocation where the ISP doesn't carry NG's. You should feel better
there's one less heathen smoker posting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote :

Do you really smoke Lucky's?

WOW! You must be as old as I am. :-) Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco,
Am I correct?

Hank

I was born well before the midle of the last century and I remember the
radio ads saying "Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to war."

And how about "We're Tobacco Men, Not Medicine Men."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
badgolferman typed:
My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is
fully charged at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes
with it is bright but the drill doesn't do a damn thing
regardless of what position any of the switches on it are
set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?

OPen it up and look for the open wire or battery connection, etc.. Or see
if anyone cares to repair it; they might. I would offer to at least look at
such a thing for a price; it's almost always one of the wires at the switch
that break, right close to one of the posts.

Twayne

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In warranty, let them deal with it. Otherwise, turn the
chuck by hand, and try it again (check for intermittent
brushes).

You can take the battery out, open it up, and use a VOM to
test the switches.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"badgolferman" wrote in
message ...
My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is
fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is
bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position
any of the
switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is
bad. Any
suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?

Thank you for the helpful comments and even the unhelpful ones.

I took the thing apart and moved switches and wires around. I found
nothing wrong physically. After reassembling it the thing started
working! It is possible the REVERSE/FORWARD switch was not making
proper contact but it felt fine before I disassembled the drill. In
any case, it is working like new again.

Maybe that drill is a female -- it just needed some loving attention....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Mar 5, 8:19*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
badgolferman wrote:
My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. *The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. *I assume the trigger switch is bad. *Any
suggestions?

Thank you for the helpful comments and even the unhelpful ones.

I took the thing apart and moved switches and wires around. *I found
nothing wrong physically. *After reassembling it the thing started
working! *It is possible the REVERSE/FORWARD switch was not making
proper contact but it felt fine before I disassembled the drill. *In
any case, it is working like new again.

Maybe that drill is a female -- it just needed some loving attention....

==
Yes. you hit the "g" spot.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully
charged at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is
bright but the drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what
position any of the switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger
switch is bad. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the helpful comments and even the unhelpful ones.

I took the thing apart and moved switches and wires around. I found
nothing wrong physically. After reassembling it the thing started
working! It is possible the REVERSE/FORWARD switch was not making
proper contact but it felt fine before I disassembled the drill. In
any case, it is working like new again.

Maybe that drill is a female -- it just needed some loving
attention....

Standard procedure for fixing things. Take it apart, put it together.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"Bob F" wrote in message
badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully
charged at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is
bright but the drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what
position any of the switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger
switch is bad. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the helpful comments and even the unhelpful ones.

I took the thing apart and moved switches and wires around. I found
nothing wrong physically. After reassembling it the thing started
working! It is possible the REVERSE/FORWARD switch was not making
proper contact but it felt fine before I disassembled the drill. In
any case, it is working like new again.

Maybe that drill is a female -- it just needed some loving
attention....

Standard procedure for fixing things. Take it apart, put it together.

you forgot step 3: try not to act surprised when it works. a.k.a. "I meant
to do that"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

[...]

what are you supposed to do with the left over parts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

what are you supposed to do with the left over parts?

Put them in the box where you put left-over parts. Be patient. Eventually
you'll have enough left-over parts to build a new one.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?

it happens - throw it away and buy a new one. At least you will have a
spare battery!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:25:03 -0500, "badgolferman"
wrote:

My Ryobi 14.4 volt drill is not working. The battery is fully charged
at 14.5 volts and the flashlight that comes with it is bright but the
drill doesn't do a damn thing regardless of what position any of the
switches on it are set at. I assume the trigger switch is bad. Any
suggestions?

Ryobi is of lower quality. A corded Milwaulkee is top-quality and
about the same price as the cordless Ryobi. If you'd rather have a
better cordless try Makita or Panasonic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are like me and love to check out pawn shops,flea markets and
yard sales, keep an eye out for another 14v Ryobi drill. Yours is the
exception to the rule on cordless --about 99% of the time the trouble is
batteries. The tools themselves usually don't break or wear out. If you
should happen to see one, you could probably buy it for a couple of
dollars and assume the batteries are shot. If you have a spare drill,
your original will never break again (Murphy's Law). I bought a 9.6
Makita wth two batteries and charger for $2.00 at a yard sale a couple
of weeks ago-- the guy said the batteries were bad, but they seem to
work fair, and I already had a couple of extra batteries I got for a
dime each from a pawn shop that was moving, and didn't want to move all
the loose crap they had laying around. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

For whatever reason, they don't want to standardize the
batteries. Even within the HF brand, there can be two or
three different style batteries of the same voltage. So,
when the battery eventually goes weak, you end up buying a
whole brand new whatever the device is. I suspect they like
selling "whole new".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

Ryobi is of lower quality. A corded Milwaulkee is top-quality and
about the same price as the cordless Ryobi. If you'd rather have a
better cordless try Makita or Panasonic.

The point was to NOT spend more money and repair what I had.

Yes, Ryobi is lower quality but perfectly suitable for the common
homeowner. I do have a corded Makita that has been sitting in the
bottom of a drawer gathering dust for years. If I truly need more
power or both batteries die I drag out that beast.

Cordless drill Sacramento Dave Woodworking 1 April 1st 07 06:35 PM
Warranty on Makita cordless drill / Starter drill kits emsee UK diy 18 August 14th 06 07:03 PM
Looking for a good cordless drill charger with drill wildbill Woodworking 12 July 13th 05 01:58 PM
Cordless Drill Gary Boyer Home Repair 7 December 11th 04 03:05 AM
Sony Cordless Phone #3 button stopped working porch13 Electronics Repair 4 January 24th 04 05:06 AM