Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Cleaning

"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 9:01*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?

If you use a washer carefully, with distance and dont Blast wood you
wont hurt it and its the only way to clean it after you use chemicals,
Sherwin williams deck cleaner is one of the best, but it depends on
what wrong, If its in shade it could be just mold so try some laundry
bleach, most deck cleaners have an acid and bleaching agent [ sodium
hypochlorate] its the active ingrediant of Laundry Bleach and often
Oxalic acid that loosens the dirt. Bleach is cheap, add some acid and
soap and you pay 20x more for the mix of cheap chemicals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 6:42*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 27, 9:01*pm, mcp6453 wrote:

"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?

If you use a washer carefully, with distance and dont Blast wood you
wont hurt it and its the only way to clean it after you use chemicals,
Sherwin williams deck cleaner is one of the best, but it depends on
what wrong, If its in shade it could be just mold so try some laundry
bleach, most deck cleaners have an acid and bleaching agent [ sodium
hypochlorate] its the active ingrediant of Laundry Bleach and often
Oxalic acid that loosens the dirt. Bleach is cheap, add some acid and
soap and you pay 20x more for the mix of cheap chemicals.

I just use some bleach and a deck brush every year and it comes out
fine.
I agree the pressure washer could do some damgae if not careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:01:02 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?

Not sure what Tommy used.

1 gallon warm water
1/2 cup TSP
3/4 cup household bleach

Dissolve the TSP in the warm water until completely dissolved. Add to
a garden sprayer then add the bleach. You can use the product "JoMax"
instead of the TSP. If the deck is really dirty, you may need to
clean it twice and/or light scrubbing. Allow it to dry for 2-3 weeks
before sealing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 8:47*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:01:02 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:
"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?

Not sure what Tommy used.

1 gallon warm water
1/2 cup TSP
3/4 cup household bleach

Dissolve the TSP in the warm water until completely dissolved. *Add to
a garden sprayer then add the bleach. *You can use the product "JoMax"
instead of the TSP. *If the deck is really dirty, you may need to
clean it twice and/or light scrubbing. * Allow it to dry for 2-3 weeks
before sealing.

Add 1/2 cup oxalic acid to that mix, Label it, and sell it for 26.99$
a gallon, and it only cost you 1$, thats all deck cleaners are, 1$ of
product, .50c for the Jug, and markup. [but more bleach helps alot]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:36*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

How toxic is this mixture?

My deck is 6' off the ground and we store stuff underneath.

I can empty out what's under there and let the run off soak into the
ground, but there are plants and pets to consider also.

Thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 9:56*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How toxic is this mixture?

My deck is 6' off the ground and we store stuff underneath.

I can empty out what's under there and let the run off soak into the
ground, but there are plants and pets to consider also.

Thoughts?

Any of the "cleaners" using Chlorine Beach or Oxalic Acid are going to
damage anything they touch, such as plants, metals, etc.
Unfortunately, as previous posters mentioned, they are also VERY VERY
effective at cleaning the deck. And, especially for Chlorine Bleach
("Clorox") the cost is low.

But my deck is 10 feet off the ground and spans across landscape
plantings, a patio, etc. So, I know and have dealt with your problem
of not wanting to damage things underneath.

I use Oxygen Bleach, which is about the most effective, safest thing
you can use that does the LEAST damage to plants, etc.

The active ingredients are sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate
(soda ash). Notice I said the least damage -- anything will do some
damage in my opinion. Do a web search for "deck cleaning" "oxygen
bleach" and you will find plenty of information, as well as plenty of
sites wanting to sell you their "special blend" of oxy bleach.

I have a very large wrap-around, deck -- about 60 feet by 10 feet --
of Western Red Cedar. It costs me about $125 in Oxygen Bleach every
three years to clean it. I buy the stuff in 20-pound tubs via mail-
order and it costs me around $70 bucks for the tub, I think.

I could buy it at the local Wal-Mart, and a couple of the supermarket
brands are very, very good, but by the time I buy a basket-full of 2.5
pound containers, the price is way above what I pay for home
delivery. And, while several of the supermarket brands are very good,
a few are not so good, with not a lot of active ingredient.

The big downside to this is the scrubbing it takes to do this. The
stuff works, but you have to scrub with a stiff bristle brush and work
only a smallish area at a time. Takes me about 15 hours to do my deck,
but most of that is because I have to do the railings on a ladder and
some of the area is a bit "unsafe" because the ground is partly
sloping on a hill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:56:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I use oxygenated bleach cleaner (oxi-clean or similar) mixed at the
"tough job" strength. Apply with garden sprayer, let soak (don't let
it dry) scrub really bad areas with a stiff bristle broom,, and then
hose off. Hose it off plants and it won't hurt them. Once it dries,
the area is safe for Pets.

With any of these cleaners, use eye protection, rubber gloves and
boots.

A lot of the heavy duty commercial deck cleaners and especially the
deck strippers are more dangerous and toxic. I've found the
oxygenated bleach cleaners to be effective at removing grime and
mildew while being (relatively) safe to use. And they are supposed to
be more gentle to the wood than chlorine bleach.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 03:42:33 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 27, 9:01*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?

If you use a washer carefully, with distance and dont Blast wood you
wont hurt it and its the only way to clean it after you use chemicals,
Sherwin williams deck cleaner is one of the best, but it depends on
what wrong, If its in shade it could be just mold so try some laundry
bleach, most deck cleaners have an acid and bleaching agent [ sodium
hypochlorate] its the active ingrediant of Laundry Bleach and often
Oxalic acid that loosens the dirt. Bleach is cheap, add some acid and
soap and you pay 20x more for the mix of cheap chemicals.

I just used a sprayer full of bleach/water (cup to a gallon, IIRC),
then scrubbed it with a broom and a fairly strong solution of pDSP
(they didn't sell the real stuff).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Make that 'T'^
(they didn't sell the real stuff).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 10:35*am, krw wrote:
I just used a sprayer full of bleach/water (cup to a gallon, IIRC),
then scrubbed it with a broom and a fairly strong solution of pDSP

MAKE THAT "TSP"
(they didn't sell the real stuff).

You can buy real TSP, or TriSodiumPhosphate, but since it is bad for
lakes, streams, etc., it isn't on the supermarkets shelves for every
"yahoo" to buy. Hardware stores or paint stores typically carry TSP.
However, I find there are plenty of substitutes that are safer and
work as well. For example, Jasco's liquid TSP substitute works well
for cleaning walls prior to painting, and needs no rinsing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 27, 9:01 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean
his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as
it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front porch, which is
made with pressure treated deck lumber. What was the chemical Tommy used?

If you use a washer carefully, with distance and dont Blast wood you
wont hurt it and its the only way to clean it after you use chemicals,
Sherwin williams deck cleaner is one of the best, but it depends on
what wrong, If its in shade it could be just mold so try some laundry
bleach, most deck cleaners have an acid and bleaching agent [ sodium
hypochlorate] its the active ingrediant of Laundry Bleach and often
Oxalic acid that loosens the dirt. Bleach is cheap, add some acid and
soap and you pay 20x more for the mix of cheap chemicals.

Chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is very damaging to wood and
should never be used to clean or bleach wood. Something like "Oxy
Clean" or a generic brand oxygen cleaner is the cleaner to use. It
doesn't destroy the wood fibers like sodium hypochlorite does. It's
also safer to use and it won't hurt surrounding plants.

Don't take my word for it, search google "sodium hypochlorite to clean
wood" and see that most all links tell you chlorine bleach is the wrong
product to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:39:53 -0800 (PST), tim birr
wrote:

On Feb 28, 10:35*am, krw wrote:
I just used a sprayer full of bleach/water (cup to a gallon, IIRC),
then scrubbed it with a broom and a fairly strong solution of pDSP

MAKE THAT "TSP"
(they didn't sell the real stuff).

You can buy real TSP, or TriSodiumPhosphate, but since it is bad for
lakes, streams, etc., it isn't on the supermarkets shelves for every
"yahoo" to buy. Hardware stores or paint stores typically carry TSP.

Depends on the jurisdiction. It isn't available in some places (for
the reason you cite).

However, I find there are plenty of substitutes that are safer and
work as well. For example, Jasco's liquid TSP substitute works well
for cleaning walls prior to painting, and needs no rinsing.

No rinsing? Doesn't it pollute the paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

tim birr wrote:
On Feb 28, 9:56 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How toxic is this mixture?

My deck is 6' off the ground and we store stuff underneath.

I can empty out what's under there and let the run off soak into the
ground, but there are plants and pets to consider also.

Thoughts?

Any of the "cleaners" using Chlorine Beach or Oxalic Acid are going to
damage anything they touch, such as plants, metals, etc.
Unfortunately, as previous posters mentioned, they are also VERY VERY
effective at cleaning the deck. And, especially for Chlorine Bleach
("Clorox") the cost is low.

You said it yourself, "Chlorine bleach or Oxalic Acid are going to
damage anything they touch". Ah, yes chlorine bleach will destroy wood.
Use a generic brand of Oxy Clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

Chlorine bleach destroys wood. Use something like Oxy Clean instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes you are correct. Chlorine bleach destroys wood. Use something like
Oxy Clean instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:10:15 -0600, wrote:

I just use plain soap and water, with a wash cloth to wash my dick.

Oh, that's where you went wrong. Little girls don't have a "dick".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 1:12*pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Ive been using it for 30 years on the same deck, my deck, Ive used it
for 20 years professionaly before painting, Sodium Hypochlorate is the
active ingrediant in alot of deck cleaners, its the same dam stuff you
put in your laundry that everybody has been using since before you
were born, of course Oxt Clean will say its 'the wrong thing to do"
Wake up it isnt going to hurt your deck, or your yellow shorts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 6:39*pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Chlorine bleach destroys wood. *Use something like Oxy Clean instead.- Hide quoted text -

What kind of retard oxyclean pitch man are you, moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 28, 6:39 pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Google "sodium hypochlorite decks" or something similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 28, 1:12 pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

I assume you are talking about Sodium Hypochlorite and not Sodium
Hypochlorate. Google is your friend, check it out.

Cleaning A Cedar Deck Scott Home Repair 7 June 14th 08 02:47 PM
deck cleaning zekor Home Repair 0 January 10th 07 04:28 PM
Cleaning A Deck Scott Home Repair 11 July 26th 06 03:13 AM
cleaning deck dirt [email protected] Woodworking 4 June 3rd 05 12:46 AM
deck cleaning BKS Home Repair 8 July 23rd 03 05:26 AM