BKS

Default deck cleaning

I built a completely pressure treated deck five years ago and stained with
Sikkens. It's on the north side of the house and now is very dirty---some
black spots (mold, I guess) on the rails, etc.

What's the best way to clean this without damaging the wood or stain (the
stain is holding up very well). I've been told pressure washing is too tough
and a no-no with pressure treated. TSP? Some of those deck
cleaner/brightener products?

Thanks.

donald girod

I washed mine with a strong clorox solution to get rid of the mold (I just
used a mop, and rinsed with a garden hose), and then re-stained it. The
clorox takes off the black stuff (mildew) quite well. However, it's a pain
to clean the railings (I imagine it's a pain with a pressure washer too).

"BKS" wrote in message
I built a completely pressure treated deck five years ago and stained with
Sikkens. It's on the north side of the house and now is very dirty---some
black spots (mold, I guess) on the rails, etc.

What's the best way to clean this without damaging the wood or stain (the
stain is holding up very well). I've been told pressure washing is too

tough
and a no-no with pressure treated. TSP? Some of those deck
cleaner/brightener products?

Thanks.

Phisherman

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:16:00 GMT, "BKS" wrote:

I built a completely pressure treated deck five years ago and stained with
Sikkens. It's on the north side of the house and now is very dirty---some
black spots (mold, I guess) on the rails, etc.

What's the best way to clean this without damaging the wood or stain (the
stain is holding up very well). I've been told pressure washing is too tough
and a no-no with pressure treated. TSP? Some of those deck
cleaner/brightener products?

Thanks.

The household bleach (1 cup in a gallon of warm water with a little
detergent or TSP added) will kill the mold. The detergent helps
spread the solution and loosen the dirt. It is easier to apply it
using a garden sprayer. If needed you could use a SOFT brush. Leave
the solution on for 5 minutes then rinse off. If the mold has been on
there for some time, a second cleaning may be needed.
Wade Lippman

I didn't want chemicals slopping over the plants under my deck, and there
was too much area to put drop cloths, (besides, it would take forever to
scrub 1500sf)so I used an electric pressure washer.
Okay, there were a few bits of minor damage, but overall it worked well. I
think the damaged areas probably needed to be cleaned out anyhow.
I first checked a number of Stain Mfg's sites; some say no pressure washers,
others say none over 1300psi.

mark Ransley

north exposure, you probably have alot of mold, your stain may look good
but you need to restain after you clean, If you dilute your bleach much
you may have to redo it. I am in full shade and bleach full strength on
wood and concrete. Power wash will not hurt wood, use a wider tip
setting

mark Ransley

as someone suggested a garden sprayer is the easiest way, but be
careful adding detergents to bleach anything amoniated will creat a
poisonous gas

JoeM

"jim evans" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:16:00 GMT, "BKS" wrote:

I've pressure washed my deck every couple of years for 10 years and
seen no harm, but I've read good reports from people using Jomax
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=65

Jim,

I called Zinsser about Jomax. They do not recommend it for unpainted
surfaces or where the finish is worn through. They recommended Wolman
instead. Wolman is another Zinsser label. See www.Wolman.com. I believe the
difference is oxalic acid. I have used neither product.

Joe

Bruce

In alt.home.repair
"D Smyth" wrote:

A pressure washer does a great job, even taking off the remnants of the old
stain. The secret is to find just the right distance. Too close and you can
indeed damage the wood. I use my Karcher with the nozzle perhaps 5 inches
away. Longer distances are still very effective in blowing away leaves and
cobwebs and crud, especially in corners.
Just make sure the wood is dry again before you apply the coating.

I've pressure washed PT wood decks with no trouble. Rather than buy
deckwash, I mix my own combo of 2 scoops laundry detergent in a 5 gallon
bucket with about 1/2 a bottle of bleach. Spray it on softly and let it
soak 15 mins, then blast if off board by board. It looks brand new. And
yes, let it dry thoroughly before sealing.

GARY

CLOROX.. the best and easiest. I used a pump-up sprayer to get the
railing. Rinse it and let it dry completely, then add the water seal.

Gary