Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical outlet placement under window code question

every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jess wrote:
every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama

Both sides of window, plus another further down the 8' wall. Put an
outlet centered under window if you think you will need power there,
like for a reading lamp for a pair of sitting chairs or something. If
window has a wide sill, a horizontal outlet in the shadow area under the
still may be less jarring visually. Outlet could even be in the window
trim, if you are using a flat apron board under the sill. The right
cover plate, and it would almost vanish.

Like the endless threads on here always say, you can never have too many
outlets. What keeps the inspector happy is the low-end requirement.
Outlets and wire are cheap, and when the walls are open is the best time
to put an outlet anyplace you think you may ever need one. If you do
holiday lights outside, this in a good time to fish a weatherproof GFCI
outlet into the outside overhang, hooked to an extra switch on the hinge
side of the door (opposite side from the regular-use switches), set
higher than normal to avoid confusing people.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

*If it is a required outlet and if for some reason you can't meet code by
putting an outlet on each side of the window, then a floor receptacle would
satisfy the requirements. If there is room you could put an outlet under
the window. It sounds as though you could just put an outlet on each side
of the window. Don't get too close to the window frame to avoid a conflict
with window trim. The code spacing requirement is a minimum. You can
install more outlets closer to each other if you want. I usually do 10'
unless the customer has specific needs for more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jess" wrote in message
every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama

Of that 19 feet, as a minimum, Nec requires that no point along the floor be
more than six feet from an outlet.(assuming that this is a "habitable" room)
The door space is not included in that measurement, however the one foot
space before the door, if it's contiguous with at least one foot of wall
space on the adjacent wall, would require an outlet as well. As John pointed
out, if you can't meet the outlet requirement by installing outlets in the
fixed wall, the Nec allows floor outlets to meet the requirement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jess typed:
every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama

This is a situation that could vary by geographic location. The NEC is a
starting point, but the final word comes from your local Code Enforcement
Office. They often add or modify things to be more stringent than the NEC,
which is really only a set of minimum requirements.
Check with your local code enforcement people and you'll have the full
skinny.

HTH,

Twayne

--
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 11:36*pm, Jess wrote:
every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama

Why aren't you considering the 1' section between the door and the
window? For sure I'd want one there.

An outlet in that space, plus one in the 8' wall between 2' and 5'
from the window, by my counting puts an outlet no more than 6' from
any point. However, I'd put two in the 8' section: one close to the
window and one near the corner. Bonus points if the two that flank the
window are equidistant from it.

Code does not require an outlet in the 1' section on the other side of
the door, but I'd make sure there was one not too far down that
adjacent wall, too.

I certainly think you're allowed to put an outlet under the window,
there is no rule that I know of that limits how close to the floor an
outlet can be. Personally, I dislike outlets in baseboards (and
horizontally-mounted outlets) and I think it would look particularly
bad to have one out of line with other outlets in the same wall. But I
don't see why you'd need to go there.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:36:36 -0800 (PST), Jess
wrote:

every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama

One under the window might be a good idea. Where else are you going
to plug in your electric Christmas candles? Outlets are inexpensive,
if you think you might need one there, do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chip C wrote:
On Feb 25, 11:36 pm, Jess wrote:
[...]

Likely more accessible but could be there or under the window (or floor).

If you use a floor outlet a special box is required (I think you can
drive a truck across it) and special cover with flush closures.

An outlet in that space, plus one in the 8' wall between 2' and 5'
from the window, by my counting puts an outlet no more than 6' from
any point. However, I'd put two in the 8' section: one close to the
window and one near the corner. Bonus points if the two that flank the
window are equidistant from it.

Code does not require an outlet in the 1' section on the other side of
the door, but I'd make sure there was one not too far down that
adjacent wall, too.

The 1' space is considered in conjunction with the wall around the
corner. The 6'/2' rules go around the corner.

RBM gives the basic code requirements, John summarizes what to do at the
window.