Posted to alt.home.repair
Chip C Chip C is offline

Default electrical outlet placement under window code question

On Feb 25, 11:36*pm, Jess wrote:
every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah....

I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right:

1. 1' of wall
2. 3' feet of door
3. 1' of wall
4. 6' of window
5. 8' of wall

In a normal situation, one electrical outlet would be placed on the 8'
wall section and one outlet some place under the window on that wall.
What makes my situation a little different is that this 6' wide window
starts 6" above the floor and is 6' tall.

Question: Is it allowable (or required) to put an outlet in that 6
inch space between the floor and the bottom of the window (outlet
would start about 1" above the floor and end about 5" above the
floor), or can I just skip putting an outlet under the window?

Thanks, Jess
keyword = jessjoemama

Why aren't you considering the 1' section between the door and the
window? For sure I'd want one there.

An outlet in that space, plus one in the 8' wall between 2' and 5'
from the window, by my counting puts an outlet no more than 6' from
any point. However, I'd put two in the 8' section: one close to the
window and one near the corner. Bonus points if the two that flank the
window are equidistant from it.

Code does not require an outlet in the 1' section on the other side of
the door, but I'd make sure there was one not too far down that
adjacent wall, too.

I certainly think you're allowed to put an outlet under the window,
there is no rule that I know of that limits how close to the floor an
outlet can be. Personally, I dislike outlets in baseboards (and
horizontally-mounted outlets) and I think it would look particularly
bad to have one out of line with other outlets in the same wall. But I
don't see why you'd need to go there.

Chip C
Toronto